phunk's Whipple GT

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft ordered. Might as well spend more money since the car is down until next week.
Sponsored

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
OK then I called Lethal to see if they had it, and they said its on back-order and looking at late August probably. So I am going to make an assumption that they are getting them from other sales channels, and I am going to spare myself a 30 minute phone call to a ford parts department and assume that they cannot get the 3.31 gears right now either, and I am going to just order the damn 3.55 ring and pinion and run that.

edit: OK OK i always say I am going to give up and then I dont. I called a Ford Parts department to check on it, and they also said its on backorder and they said no ETA.

So I have exhausted all options I can come up with... the 3.31 ring and pinion just isnt available right now.

edit 2: 3.55:1 ring and pinion set ordered, will probably have it tomorrow. Not sure if I will be able to get the car back together quick enough to be aligned Friday though.
I have the 3.31 gears in stock! I can also help with setup.

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I have the 3.31 gears in stock! I can also help with setup.
AH I already have to return one set, not sure if I want to ship back another set!!

Before tearing into my diff, we checked the existing preload and it was only 2.5in-lb. The backlash 13 thousandths.

Backlash seemed normal, but whats with the low preload? I dont know what the specs are for the super 8.8

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I reinstalled the rear cradle to find a bad alignment in one of the mounting points and had to pull it out to repair a thread. So then I reinstalled the rear cradle, then I found I had to take it back out again to put the rear springs in. So then I reinstalled the rear cradle. I finished my diff. Then I had to pull the rear cradle out again to get the rear differential bolts in.

Thats right, you cant even put the differential in and out without pulling the entire rear crossmember. This car is just the worst.

Sponsored

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I hope you have air tools lol
Oh ya, I have a full shop. I took my little 10 minute break to throw a tamper tantrum and went back out there and made it my bitch... its done.

Tomorrow I hope to find some time to put the spindles and axles back in (god help me and the guy who sold me this car if the cradle has to come back out for that), and then whenever I can get it in for an alignment we can see if all this work was worth it!

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
As if I hadnt had enough BS with this rear end job... ford racing marked the left and right axles incorrectly.

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That blows big time. Mine were marked Left (drivers side) and Right (passengers side) and because I had the fiasco with the missing retaining clip I set them down next to the stock half shafts to check the length. How'd you figure out they were marked wrong? I assume you wouldn't be able to put the spindle back together on one side if you got that far.

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Mine were marked left (passenger side) and right (drivers side), opposite of yours.

I learned after I installed the driver side with the shaft marked left, and put it all back together... then I went to put the passenger side in marked right, and the axle was too long to go into the diff, so I had to pull it all apart and switch them.

Sponsored
OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
And it was 718rwhp STD correction!

E85 could be worth another 50-100hp im sure, depending on how much I want to push the stock engine.

I dont know if my cal is the latest anymore... I was waiting forever for their long tube header tune that never materialized, so its looking like I will have to switch to lund once I start driving the car again.

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Well I just test drove the car and everything seems good to go.

Only thing is, I dont think I will be getting it aligned tomorrow like I hoped... I think I need to take the sportline springs out and put the stock ones back in.

It never really soaked in that there is no camber adjustment anywhere on this car... so all the negative camber that you get when you lower it, you are stuck with... I dont even need to try it to know my car is not going to hook up for shit now that I put these springs back there... which is the opposite of the entire point of the rest of all the work I just did.

Looks kinda cool having it all low in the back to match the front... but you just cant play that game when you have a lot of horsepower.

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Well I did it... pulled it all apart again and put the stock rear springs back in. Now if I can just get up early enough tomorrow maybe I can get it aligned and then figure out the track day

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I put the toe links in the rear and camber bolts up front. It aligned perfectly to factory specs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Ya I am not concerned with factory specs, I need as little camber as possible, and the lower you go, the more negative your camber. I could already see the gain in camber just looking at it, that stuff had to go... my car has serious traction problems already.
Sponsored