Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
The ‘95 R was a hell of a machine and many years of my youth were spent drooling over that. That’s awesome you have one. Truly a piece of history.

Also scary that was 24 years ago. Where does time go...

I think the R progression has been really cool...
Thanks, You read it.

GT Poney said:
Here's a perfect example of the BBQ tick / typewriter tick for those who want to distinguish it from all the other engine noises going on.
This has not convinced me one bit.

You guys have some tick sound that has you very worried? You need to trade the car for a new Corvette ZR1.

As a new buyer that has checked with many previous owners, I find no problems. I'd cancel my order if I thought there was a problem. I have no cash deposit and will pay cash for the car.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Now with the new SSM this car would be turned away and the guy would be told it was "normal".
Probably because, you know... it's normal

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Probably because, you know... it's normal
Yep, it is normal for excessively loose parts slapping against each other. But as long as it's not detrimental, just keep the windows up and crank up the radio or install a loud exhaust system.:like:

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
As a new buyer that has checked with many previous owners, I find no problems. I'd cancel my order if I thought there was a problem.
GT 350s don't fall under this SSM, but there is one for piston slap/rattle. You might already know that.

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
And I thought I was crazy. Now it is official, there is a tick on a lot of engines. The difference is now that they say it is normal, which is kind of stupid. Cera Tec still works for me, rattle didn't come back since August 2018. I have to change my oil soon and will add 500ml CeraTec again. Car has no issues due to Ceratec so far. I drove 4000 since putting in Ceratec.

Sponsored

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am waiting on my 2019 Mustang GT buyback replacement for my 2017, which had ticking and scoring in three cylinders. I wonder what would have happened if they released this TSB before I’d brought my car in? And what if my new car develops scoring but they refuse to look at it because the ticking is supposed to be normal?

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I am waiting on my 2019 Mustang GT buyback replacement for my 2017, which had ticking and scoring in three cylinders. I wonder what would have happened if they released this TSB before I’d brought my car in? And what if my new car develops scoring but they refuse to look at it because the ticking is supposed to be normal?
I’m dealing with this now. I’ve found metal in my oil and the dealer is still saying it’s all normal. Not sure what’s next for me except drive it and do what I’ve been wanting to. Im not getting a buy back in my current situation until I’ve had three repair attempts. I’ve had zero because the dealer says it’s normal. I guess it’s time for the suspension work I’ve been putting off and go drive the car.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have a VERY light tick, no place as loud as others here, and only at idle when cold. I'm sub 400 miles now. I get my state inspection Saturday and will ask them to make note of it. At this point I am NOT worried about it at all but just want the note made incase there is an issue later, such as it growing louder or getting the 2k rattle. With how mnay thousands are out there with the tick I don't see a reason to worry other than it's a bit annoying to hear.

Last edited:

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a VERY light tick, no place as loud as others here, and only at idle when cold. I'm sub 400 miles now. I get my stte inspection Saturday and will ask them to make note of it. At this point I am NOT worried about it at all but just want the note made incase there is an issue later, such as it growing louder or getting the 2k rattle. With how mnay thousands are out there with the tick I don't see a reason to worry other than it's a bit annoying to hear.
Get an oil change EARLY. I did mine at about 1700 Km and I'm now at 26,000KM with no tick...knock on wood

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I checked for noises just because I was curious. Warmed up (after a drive), idling, I could hear a typewriter tick only at the base of the windshield, it was that quiet.
I am going to change the oil soon (at about 400 miles) and open the oil filter just because of all the threads about metal.
Other than that I am going to drive the car, it's fun!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Get an oil change EARLY. I did mine at about 1700 Km and I'm now at 26,000KM with no tick...knock on wood
x2 on this. I changed my oil for the first time at 1100 miles, and only have a very slight tick, but nowhere near as loud as some others here

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
the lead tech at my dealer stated "these engines are meant to be revved and driven, not grandma'ed."..

i am going to just send it.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
the lead tech at my dealer stated "these engines are meant to be revved and driven, not grandma'ed."..

i am going to just send it.
What does that mean? No break-in at all just drive it like it has 5k on the clock? if so, is he the lead tech for the local bowling alley? I would say that once broken in, they should be driven hard....why else would you buy one?

As for me, I have about 500 miles on it and am driving it to break it in....engine, tranny, etc. Once I hit a grand I will start to ease into driving it like a Mustang should be. At 1200 or so, it will be on the track doing its best imitation (limited more so by me) of a race car! Just to add as someone pointed out, changing oil before hitting the track!

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What does that mean? No break-in at all just drive it like it has 5k on the clock? if so, is he the lead tech for the local bowling alley? I would say that once broken in, they should be driven hard....why else would you buy one?

As for me, I have about 500 miles on it and am driving it to break it in....engine, tranny, etc. Once I hit a grand I will start to ease into driving it like a Mustang should be. At 1200 or so, it will be on the track doing its best imitation (limited more so by me) of a race car!
Break it in hard. That'll be better for the car
Sponsored