Paxton 2200SL Belt Tension

Ninjavitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 18 GLA250 AWD, 05 Vette, 12 Hyundai Accent
I installed this system over the weekend and before start up I wanted to make sure I am not putting too much strain on the belt system. I needed to max out the OEM belt tension pulley to slide it over the pulley- when I let off the pressure on the belt tension pulley it did not really move at all and I am concerned the belt might be too tight. It is routed properly, I installed and reinstalled it twice. I used my hands to put the belt on, I did not use tools to force it so maybe it's just supposed to be this tight?

Belt: Vortech belt included with Paxton 2200SL kit - 103.31"
Using left to center pulley hole
Pulley: 3.8"

Will this belt stretch a slightly over time with some heat and tension? It is about 20 degrees here so I am not driving it currently and I am guessing the rubber will expand with some heat, but, I would like to know whether to swap to the middle hole to save excess wear on the belt system/crank before putting the upper IC pipes and everything.
Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
When my kit was new it was really hard to get the belt on with the 3.6 pulley and tensioner in 2nd hole. Yours sounds about right.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
yep, should be tight to get on

Supercharged__5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I had the same question when I installed my 3.48" pulley a few weeks ago with the tensioner barely moving because the belt was so tight. I had to "walk" the belt on by turning the crank to get it on. My tuner said that it should be okay, and I have been running it since with no issues. I am interested to see how this will affect the long term wear and tear on the belt system, but I have had no immediate issues.

This probably doesn't help you, but for reference I have a Gates HD 102.0" belt, and I have the tensioner pulley on the Paxton bracket in the same hole you do. The hole one over to the passenger side of the middle hole. (o X o o o o)

OP
OP

Ninjavitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I had the same question when I installed my 3.48" pulley a few weeks ago with the tensioner barely moving because the belt was so tight. I had to "walk" the belt on by turning the crank to get it on. My tuner said that it should be okay, and I have been running it since with no issues. I am interested to see how this will affect the long term wear and tear on the belt system, but I have had no immediate issues.

This probably doesn't help you, but for reference I have a Gates HD 102.0" belt, and I have the tensioner pulley on the Paxton bracket in the same hole you do. The hole one over to the passenger side of the middle hole. (o X o o o o)
Have you checked tension since?

I have done a few heat cycles and will be checking just to make sure something moved/stretched a little.

on a positive note, no belt slip and datalogs are good.

OP
OP

Ninjavitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)