Passenger window strange issue

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
Hi everyone, I purchased a 2020 GT Premium with PP1 and all available extras about a month ago. Everything was great until I let someone else drive it last week šŸ˜‚ As I sat in the passenger seat we dropped the top and cruised. When we picked up speed I went to roll up my window and to my surprise it didnā€™t budge! So a little diagnostics on the road; 1) The window functions normally from the driver side controls. 2) The passenger control button sends the window down, regardless if you push or pull.

The dealer has now had the car twice, first they reported that the button controller was fine, and had to order a motor control unit. Today they said the motor control unit has not repaired the issue, and they need to keep the car while Ford technical assistance gets back to their service request.

My question for my fellow Mustang owners is, has anyone experienced this issue, if so, what was the fix?

thanks enjoy the driving!

30875F81-6692-4D0F-8A01-9F5FDF0949B7.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
The car has now been in the shop for several days. They have changed the passenger switch, changed the control module, diagnosed wiring connectors C652A and C624 as well as circuits CPL78 and RPW05. All to no avail...

Any ideas would be welcome...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Man, that's starting to sound like an unrelated freak issue, like rodent damage, or something that hit under the car, etc. Did you buy the car new? Do you park it in a garage? Nothing hit under your car, like a tire carcass, or some other object? It'd be a good idea to put the car on a lift, and investigate if something like that is the culprit. It could be a loose ground somewhere too. Good luck, brother.

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
I purchased the car from a dealer lot new. It had 41 miles on the odometer and was manufactured three months prior to my purchase. It was sitting outside, however I have been underneath and everything looks fine, no nests or other signs of animal damage. Yesterday the car was returned to me with the issue resolved! Dealer stated that a connection was not fully seated correctly, and suspected a possible bent terminal pin. For the moment the car window now goes up. I will go back to the dealer in a week or so when the new door panel clips arrive, as there is a gap since the originals were forced at least three times.

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Almost two weeks later, the window issue is back. Since the dealer gave me the ok to take the panel off while waiting for the new clips, and stated that the problem was resolved with a bad connection on a pin in the connector, I figured I would save myself a trip to the dealer and ā€œreconnectā€ the bad plug.

To my surprise I found a Mickey Mouse cut and spliced wires behind the door panel. This is frustrating as it is a 2500 mile two month old car. The wires obviously were not the problem, as the same issue has returned! I am dismayed by the diagnosis used to resolve the issue.

Should I ask for a new wiring harness?

I am looking for a recommended GOOD Ford authorized electrition to diagnose/repair and fix my local Northern California ford dealer workmanship. Your help is appreciated!

D9E116B3-30FD-4CB0-A6D9-48E54D815CFD.jpeg

9690D3C3-AF75-4925-B286-2958BC0AA6ED.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Update on the window issue:

Took the car to a nearby large auto mall FORD dealer, where they started off with payment issues, without even looking at the car. They said I would have to pay for any repairs, then claim the reimbursement from ford technical center for the shoddy work done at my local dealer... One big PITA.

I left and went to a YELP recommended Ford dealership. They took in the car for initial inspection without an appointment, found the wire harness to be temperamental and occasionally faulty. They ordered a new door wiring harness and installed it the following week. Very pleased with the third dealer, will return when needed. The window has worked great for the last three weeks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update on the window issue:

Took the car to a nearby large auto mall FORD dealer, where they started off with payment issues, without even looking at the car. They said I would have to pay for any repairs, then claim the reimbursement from ford technical center for the shoddy work done at my local dealer... One big PITA.

I left and went to a YELP recommended Ford dealership. They took in the car for initial inspection without an appointment, found the wire harness to be temperamental and occasionally faulty. They ordered a new door wiring harness and installed it the following week. Very pleased with the third dealer, will return when needed. The window has worked great for the last three weeks.
That's good to hear that you were able to get it fixed at a competent Service Center. The original probably was damaged internally, which makes it harder for initial diagnosis UNLESS an experienced Tech can prove the wires correctly to finding the break.

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
That's good to hear that you were able to get it fixed at a competent Service Center. The original probably was damaged internally, which makes it harder for initial diagnosis UNLESS an experienced Tech can prove the wires correctly to finding the break.
It seems for good service, 90% of the battle is finding out who has service techs who are willing to search for root causes of the problems. Way too many ā€œmechanicsā€ out there who donā€™t look any further than the service manual.

I donā€™t mind traveling 90 minutes for a good tech and great service. In fact I prefer travel over losing the car for several days due to incompetence.
Sponsored