Sponsored

Oil Pump Gears?

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
HI Everyone,

I occasionally see the mention of the Coyote Oil Pump gears failing - I know in 1 instance it destroyed a member's engine all together. How common is this? Is it a TSB from Ford yet? I know it will be under warranty if it does fail, BUT I plan on adding a Whipple, that could easilty be connected to a motor failure and get my claim denied.

Is it really that problematic? I am not crazy about the idea of tearing a brand new motor down to replace them just so I can supercharge it, but I am less crazy about having a $50k car in my garage for months with a blown motor. I am not hard on cars but I do like some periods of shall we say "spirited driving"

I appreciate your advice.
Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
once you bolt on a Whipple your warranty is gone. Ford will not warranty an engine that you put a blower on. that being said. As long as you are NA I dont think there have been any failures of the OPG or CG so Ford would not issue a TSB or recall for the issue.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
you don't need opg's if you keep your car stock like the dealer wants you to....

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you don't need opg's if you keep your car stock like the dealer wants you to....
I have a genetic defect - I can't do that. Maybe that means THEY are discriminating against my disability! :D

Besides if THAT is what they really wanted Ford racing would not sell parts to aimed at non race team customers.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Any FI, nitrous, or high RPM it is recommend. There is a lot of people who have stock opg and do more then one but its just rolling the dice. When it comes down to it, would you rather buy or have to rebuild your engine or just purchase the part and put it in for piece of mind.

Sponsored

TnGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500
Just replace them if you go FI, why take the chance? In my opinion well worth the piece of mind not being afraid its going to grenade on you.

I'm sure Ford is aware of the issue but would never admit to a TSB. To my knowledge its only been modded cars so that leaves Ford out of any liability.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
If you are going to boost it just buy the gears. A few hundred bucks is a hell of a lot cheaper than $5-6k for a new motor.

My car had 3200 miles on it when I tore the front of the motor down for oil pump, timing gears, and ati damper (and Whipple). I wish I didn't have to and Ford would just put the better parts in from the factory but it makes me feel a hell of a lot better when I'm hot rodding it.

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to boost it just buy the gears. A few hundred bucks is a hell of a lot cheaper than $5-6k for a new motor.

My car had 3200 miles on it when I tore the front of the motor down for oil pump, timing gears, and ati damper (and Whipple). I wish I didn't have to and Ford would just put the better parts in from the factory but it makes me feel a hell of a lot better when I'm hot rodding it.
How bad of a job was the oil pump and timing gears? I see where now you can buy a complete oil pump and trade your old one back as a core so at least you do not have to take the pump apart.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
If boosting. Not a bad idea

We have the mmr. Tss and Boundary available. If staying na. I wouldn't worry

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
How bad of a job was the oil pump and timing gears? I see where now you can buy a complete oil pump and trade your old one back as a core so at least you do not have to take the pump apart.
Not a bad job at all. And don't waste your money on a complete pump. Hit up the forced induction section and there's all the info you could ever want on the oil pump and timing gears.

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Curious does Roush add these to their Stage 3 cars?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
aren't roush stage 3 cars using aluminator engines?

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Roush

"Under the hood, the ROUSHcharged 5.0L V8 power plant pumps out 670 horsepower courtesy of ROUSH Performance's R2300 TVS supercharger"

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
EXCELLENT Question :cheers:
So I called Roush. They do not upgrade gears or sprocket on their stage 3 cars. Never have had a reported failure either.
There might be some good reasons for that also. The Roush cars probably don't get beat on as hard as us regular GT owners so less chance of failure.
I will add that the customer service tech did say that in his own personal build he put the billet gears and crank sprocket in.
Sponsored