OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Just got back from my trusted oil change place and turns out they in fact had installed the wrong oil filter and it was leaking! I had them replace it with the right one and now all is well. Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.

Wayne, I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately I have very limited space but I'll look into those low profile ramps.
Sponsored

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Today I went to a local shop to get the oil changed. The whole time I was watching them like a hawk and I noticed that the oil filter looked small, but I figured they know what they are doing, they had all the vehicle information, so I didn't say anything at the time but now my OCD is kicking in and I'm worried that in fact they installed an oil filter that's too small. Obviously the filter fit, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to install it. My question is, assuming worst case scenario that they installed a filter that's too small, what's the worst that can happen? I know, kind of a stupid question but any help appreciated.
I only run the FP filter on my 5.0, it has much more capacity than what is standard. The standard oil filters are very small for a 10qt capacity high performance motor.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
Just got back from my trusted oil change place and turns out they in fact had installed the wrong oil filter and it was leaking! I had them replace it with the right one and now all is well.
Wow that is scary. Just for future reference was the correct one also rather small? Do you know the p/n of the correct and the incorrect one they put on? Assuming you take it back there you don't want them screwing up again if a new/different guy is doing it.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Glad everything worked out. :thumbsup:

Someone previously mentioned their routine: they ask the Service Tech to take up to the window, into the office, the products about to be used.

Yet another option: purchasing your own oil and filter. It'll help prevent the obvious, while using your preferred brand of product.

But ya. Wrong filter? Leaks? :whew:. I think surviving that this early in the AM is worth a shot of bourbon. šŸ˜

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Pardon me for being so frank...

Maybe next time just do the oil change yourself instead of paying money for someone to do a shit job?

Sponsored

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
Wow that is scary. Just for future reference was the correct one also rather small? Do you know the p/n of the correct and the incorrect one they put on? Assuming you take it back there you don't want them screwing up again if a new/different guy is doing it.
The correct one that they put on there was the bigger one. I didn't get the PN for the POS filter they put in there originally.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
Pardon me for being so frank...

Maybe next time just do the oil change yourself instead of paying money for someone to do a shit job?
Yes, no worries. You are correct sir. And I would gladly do it myself if I had the room to do it in.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
loucas, No question is stupid if you are trying to learn from asking it. If you don't do your own work and are worried about the right parts being installed. Buy the correct oil filter Motorcraft FL-500S when you go for your oil change, insist that they use your filter. Problem solved.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I agree about DIY oil changes. I did mine Saturday. I drive the car up on ramps and slide the pan all the way under. I am just "thick" enough to slide under and when my chest gets restricted to where I can't slide anymore, I can just reach the plug and twist it out. Twist slowly and hold part way out to control the flow of oil. Then I scoot back toward the front and the filter is much easier to access especially once the little trap door is opened with removing the 1 screw. I put one of my dog's pee pads up around the filter housing to catch any excess spillage and remove filter. Works pretty good for me.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
When you do your next oil change (yourself) be sure to upgrade that pos oil pan plug.

Sponsored

VoR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
When you do your next oil change (yourself) be sure to upgrade that pos oil pan plug.
I had not heard there was an issue with the stock plug? What do you recommend upgrading it with?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
If you talking to me, I definitley have one. Bought a Ronin and put in the first change :) makes a ton easier.
I had not heard there was an issue with the stock plug? What do you recommend upgrading it with?
The stock one is plastic so its good to have a spare just in case the tabs break off. Otherwise it works just fine. That said I bought one from Ronin. I had one in my F150 for 100k miles and it works awesome. I installed on my Mustang as well. It is great because you can totally control the flow of oil when draining.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
The drain plug thing is quite the rabbit hole. I recommend doing your own searching on this forum and deducing your own opinion.

Personally I have a Femco and I'm very happy with it. UPR, Ronin, and other brands many folks like.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest mistake I read is FRAM, that is a shit filter, hands down. :thumbsdown: :computerrage:

OP you never mentioned the service provider was it walmart, sams, costgo?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Just got back from my trusted oil change place and turns out they in fact had installed the wrong oil filter and it was leaking! I had them replace it with the right one and now all is well. Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.

Wayne, I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately I have very limited space but I'll look into those low profile ramps.
wow!!! Iā€™m speechless and scary. Glad you got it fixed. Another reason I avoid mechanics as much as I can.

regarding the oil drain plug. I replace mine every oil change itā€™s 10 bucks, never heard of them being an issue so I will keep replacing them. Maybe every other oil change now.
Sponsored