Sponsored

Oil filter cutaway @ 1300 miles

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
Thought you guys might want a look inside the filter after break-in (1300 miles). As you can see there is a lot of what looks like sealant and lock-tite. A few fine metal pieces and some larger (red arrow). The media is approximately 103 in^2. Definitely do your first change well before the "oil life monitor" tells you to!
aDSC03098.jpg
aDSC03110.jpg
aDSC03113.jpg
Sponsored

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
thanks man
will do mine around 500miles then again at 1200miles

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Good info, thanks!

Do the very small flakes shimmer as they are moved around? Bearing wear is usually depicted by copper flakes. I'm not surprised by a lot of those bits, as they are just machining shavings mainly. Definitely change your oil on a grade to help get the debris out.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thought you guys might want a look inside the filter after break-in (1300 miles). As you can see there is a lot of what looks like sealant and lock-tite. A few fine metal pieces and some larger (red arrow). The media is approximately 103 in^2. Definitely do your first change well before the "oil life monitor" tells you to!
I changed mine at 1,058 despite all the naysayers. I figured hey, best case scenario I get crap out of my engine and worst case scenario I get better oil in my engine quicker. Sent my oil to Blackstone, too. Glad you posted this and confirmed that an early change IS needed, thanks!
[MENTION=16777]combustor[/MENTION], just curious, how did you break in your car? Being gentle until the first oil change or did you ride it hard?

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Good info, thanks!

Do the very small flakes shimmer as they are moved around? Bearing wear is usually depicted by copper flakes. I'm not surprised by a lot of those bits, as they are just machining shavings mainly. Definitely change your oil on a grade to help get the debris out.
You have to go through the babbit to get to copper, if you see copper your dead.

Sponsored

OP
OP
combustor

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
Not a lot of shimmering, it seemed what I'd consider a normal amount for a modern engine breaking in. There was so much blue and orange bits though I'd be concerned about filter bypass with that relatively modest amount of filter area. It appears to be a strong filter though I doubt it would fail in a catastrophic way.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am changing mine at 2k and no redlining until then.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
You have to go through the babbit to get to copper, if you see copper your dead.
Yeah, just wanted to make sure.

Not a lot of shimmering, it seemed what I'd consider a normal amount for a modern engine breaking in. There was so much blue and orange bits though I'd be concerned about filter bypass with that relatively modest amount of filter area. It appears to be a strong filter though I doubt it would fail in a catastrophic way.
Sounds about right. Thanks for the info! Everyone should definitely do a flush of their oil.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This.

The babbitt will usually show as a silvery thin film, almost like paint.

OP
OP
combustor

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
I changed mine at 1,058 despite all the naysayers. I figured hey, best case scenario I get crap out of my engine and worst case scenario I get better oil in my engine quicker. Sent my oil to Blackstone, too. Glad you posted this and confirmed that an early change IS needed, thanks!
[MENTION=16777]combustor[/MENTION], just curious, how did you break in your car? Being gentle until the first oil change or did you ride it hard?
I drove easy for a few minutes until the engine oil was above 170ish and after that varied the speed with many full throttle pulls (but no "extended wide open throttle", as directed in the manual...I don't think that's possible to do on public roads legally anyway unless you were holding the brakes). So I flogged it as hard as I could on public roads, which is nothing compared to a track in my mind. At the 1300 mile mark when I changed the oil it has burned a barely detectable amount (still in the top half of the hashed area on the dipstick) My other vehicles with over 200k miles still don't burn oil below the add mark between 10,000 mile change intervals. Having seen the glazed cylinder walls and oil blow-by from an "easy" break-in first hand (on an aircraft engine), I'm a believer.

Also just check out the BMW forums and their oil burning woes, owners are probably under the (false) assumption that they are doing it favors by driving it easy:

"My F10 M5 needs to top up 1 quart every 700km. During the 1st 2000km servicing, I have topped up 2 quarts. After oil change at about 2000km, I topped up 1 quart again at 2800km and just this morning another 1 quart at 3800km. My SA told me that this is still within BMW specs and assured me that the oil consumption will come down slightly at 5000km and significantly after 10,000km.

I never had any chance to rev my engine RPM beyond 4000rpm so far as I am caused in very bad traffic jams everyday since I bought the car. Not sure if this is the cause of my M5's high oil consumption?"

Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Going by the title of this thread, I was thinking the oil filter fell off after 1300 miles lol. Interesting to see what the filter trapped. Might do the same to mine when I change the oil.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Good thread, thanks for sharing. On a somewhat related note, has anyone found a good (cheap) source for the FL-2069-ST filters?

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
@combustor, just curious, how did you break in your car? Being gentle until the first oil change or did you ride it hard?
Was just about to recommend this. :cheers:
Sponsored