Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well aren't you are the bringer of good news Manders. Sorry to hear about the crusty turd/s :doh:

Seriously though thanks for chiming in as the UK crowd are logically going to have the same issues and it's great to know what the enterprising Brits have found. Is there a consensus on a particular solution that you're aware of?

Have contacted Jason @JWR and invited him to post here.
Jason's your man to talk to for the fix, I believe they use the mishi cooler relocation kit, and then new pipes to prevent any further issue, but he can give you the techy stuff.

The actual "fix" if this occurs, is to get a new engine. But ford will just flush the engine, and it usually takes about 30+ cycles to get it "clean" (still isn't fully clean).

Solution wise, fords is pretty poor (Cheap solution), JWR's documented theres (somewhere but he can pass it onto you). In the first instance ford for warranty, for security, it's going to be relocating everything and preventing the issue completely. It's a mod, but a preventative one. If ford do flsh your engine and it goes again you're still covered under warranty, but amount of time without your car can really get on peoples gonads.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Totally agree, water in the oil gallery isn't something you'd want to ever have. Ford's flushing approach should be 'flushed' unless they can explain why this is remotely ok particularly when the TSB, which I've read, says to replace the engine. I think I saw here somewhere that this is only a US TSB, but seriously WTF?

Hopefully [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] will post up here.

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Well aren't you are the bringer of good news Manders. Sorry to hear about the crusty turd/s :doh:

Seriously though thanks for chiming in as the UK crowd are logically going to have the same issues and it's great to know what the enterprising Brits have found. Is there a consensus on a particular solution that you're aware of?

Have contacted Jason [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] and invited him to post here.
hi guys , we took the simplest path possible , the US Mishimoto kit which will fit straight on the car but still leaves the OEM cooler in place

overall it may make the system more efficient but still leaves the problem modine in place

we added to the base kit and put some extra parts in that remove the original Ford parts and replace them so that the Mishimoto kit takes the full burden of responsibility as a standalone set up

we have tried obtain the best parts possible , made our own adapter plate , used oil resistant hi burst pressure silicone hose where required and thus far the kit has been 100% successful

we haven't tried it on a real big power car yet but all the models upto 500hp that have used it so far have done so fault free

you can see it here http://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/10919/1653/mishimoto_ford_mustang_gt_oil_cooler_kit__2015__

any questions let me know

cheers

Jason :)

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks Jason,

Kudos to you for developing this. Just wanted to check something, the website states:

Direct-fit for the 2015+ Ford Mustang GT (acts as primary cooler, leaving UK RHD OEM cooler in place)

then

JWR developed additional kit as an option to fully delete the OEM cooler (these are prone to fail)

I think it's clear from your post and the second statement from the website that the kit does away with the original system altogether but can you confirm please? Would be good to be rid of any unnecessary leftover components. Would it be a cost effective option to include a remote filter boss if someone wanted one?

Do you know if overseas buyers pay VAT and would it be possible to obtain a shipping quote to Sydney post code 2000 (just as an indication) please?

:cheers:

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Hello Jason. Excellent video. However at around the 4 minute mark, it appears that the side of the bumper is pulled out without any mention of removing the 7 mm hex head screw that lies behind the wheel well liner. It is a very obscured fastener that is awkward to remove. This can/will lead to damaging the bumper connection clip. Just FYI.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Thanks Jason,

Kudos to you for developing this. Just wanted to check something, the website states:

Direct-fit for the 2015+ Ford Mustang GT (acts as primary cooler, leaving UK RHD OEM cooler in place)

then

JWR developed additional kit as an option to fully delete the OEM cooler (these are prone to fail)

I think it's clear from your post and the second statement from the website that the kit does away with the original system altogether but can you confirm please? Would be good to be rid of any unnecessary leftover components. Would it be a cost effective option to include a remote filter boss if someone wanted one?

Do you know if overseas buyers pay VAT and would it be possible to obtain a shipping quote to Sydney post code 2000 (just as an indication) please?

:cheers:
Hi again , if you buy just the Mishimoto par5ts it only acts as a primary cooler setup , leaving the OEM parts still in use , if you add the extra parts we offer (which is an option) the OEM parts are removed entirely for peace of mind

the kits are fully thermostatic

we didn't add any further parts like a remote boss as thi8s would just add further time and costs to the kit which was already getting to be not a cheap product

if you are not in the EU you do not pay UK VAT although you will pay local duties / tax if the value of the kit is above your countries import limit

ill get back to you with a quote on the shipping

cheers

jason:)

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Hello Jason. Excellent video. However at around the 4 minute mark, it appears that the side of the bumper is pulled out without any mention of removing the 7 mm hex head screw that lies behind the wheel well liner. It is a very obscured fastener that is awkward to remove. This can/will lead to damaging the bumper connection clip. Just FYI.:thumbsup:
Agreed , we have removed our bumper many times without damage

Gave the car to another garage to do some work on the car and they damaged both sides on this specific screw

problem is we don't make the videos , these are made by mishimoto in the US

I will pass the message on in case they see fit to adapt the video but for sure we would recommend all parties to be aware of this screw if undertaking the job on a DIY basis

regards

Jason :)

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
I think many RHD owners would seriously consider this mod as the consequence of oil cooler failure can be catastrophic, but the cruiser types would probably wait until their warranty expires. So don't remove it from the market yet. This gives us time to save up.:D

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Almost ready now.
Mustang 2015 onwards GT 5.0 Streetfighter Engine Oil Cooler Packages

Streetfighter have finished development and are in production of our engine oil cooler upgrade package for the Australian Mustang V8.
The Australian delivered Mustangs have been known to experience external and internal, oil and/or coolant leakage of the standard OEM engine oil cooler.
We expect both the Streetfighter Engine Oil Cooler Package and Streetfighter Oil Pressure Monitoring Kits to be ready for release before end of 2017.
Pricing soon to be released.

For more info
Click:Streetfighter News

Sponsored

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Awesome news.

Hanging to get this issue resolved it’s stopping me for forced induction

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
I thought I'd post here but I believe that Harrop are also producing a kit.
My selling dealer, Sinclair Ford, fit the Harrop superchargers for customers and will most likely offer this kit as well.

I'll be in there soon for a service and aim to follow up on this.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks, interested to know what the Harrop option is as it's bound to be good quality.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Thought I would bring this back to life seem to have hijacked street fighter thread. [MENTION=25543]MoosaTunga[/MENTION]
Do you have cost of doing that Kit drive in drive out ?

Last edited:
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thought I would bring this back to life seem to have hijacked street fighter thread. [MENTION=25543]MoosaTunga[/MENTION]
Do you have cost of doing that Kit drive in drive out ?
^ + 1
Sponsored