Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I know you have a premium. Lol. Sure it's plugged all the way in? I had to shave my factory plug down a bit to plug it all the way in. It was hitting the frame of the unit at the bottom. The white plug next to the blue GPS
Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
ill give that a try. so far everything is working even the back up cam... im so excited to be this close. ill go shave the factory plug down a bit. thats the black and red plug right?
IMG_0250.JPG

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
It is on mine. Don't shave it if you don't have to. Just look and see if it's sitting at the same depth as the GPS plug. Mine was obvious.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
yeah it is pushed up in there hard. there isnt much room to get back there and look.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
still no radio. ill email the ebay seller. maybe it is the curse of the premium. i hope someone can give me a hand, i would really like to keep this unit but i have to have the radio.

there is no sound what-so-ever coming out

Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Well i've tried everything. the fuses in the car and good and the fuse in the back of the unit is good. even with the hep of another forum member and his buddy Cedric, i couldn't get the radio to work. i've checked every setting, even the advanced with the code 8861.... nothing.

i guess they havent figured out the bugs for the premium modules. that is a shame because it looked really cool. so ill be sending it back to China

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Is there anyway we can edit/change the top menu bar and make it hide away, or just not have it at all?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Automate is a pretty cool driving UI to use with the unit. Just wish there wasn't so much wasted space with the top bars. I really hope a simple way can be found for recovery. What I would really love is just a vanilla android rom that we could install and not have all the stock stuff on there and build off that. I've been looking up the chipset to see if I can stumble on anything that might help us some how.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
still no radio. ill email the ebay seller. maybe it is the curse of the premium. i hope someone can give me a hand, i would really like to keep this unit but i have to have the radio.

there is no sound what-so-ever coming out
Probably a silly question, but have you changed the vehicle to "Mustang Hi" and rebooted?

Is there anyway we can edit/change the top menu bar and make it hide away, or just not have it at all?
Unfortunately no, without a recovery option, it's too risky to test. It ties into an apk called "EventCtr" which will cause a boot loop if modified.

Automate is a pretty cool driving UI to use with the unit. Just wish there wasn't so much wasted space with the top bars. I really hope a simple way can be found for recovery. What I would really love is just a vanilla android rom that we could install and not have all the stock stuff on there and build off that. I've been looking up the chipset to see if I can stumble on anything that might help us some how.
I wish it were that easy, it's not standard hardware in there like a tablet would have. There are separate boards for several things. I would personally be more interested in decoding the CANBUS stuff they did, because it detects when doors are open, RPM, turn signals, etc. That RPM information alone could be used to fabricate a cool shift light..

Jmasseo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost fbo e85
install of head unit

So I just got my unit in yesterday. Is there any good installation guides out there that can help me with all the wiring. Im pretty sure I have the 2nd gen but how can I be sure about that?

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
So I just got my unit in yesterday. Is there any good installation guides out there that can help me with all the wiring. Im pretty sure I have the 2nd gen but how can I be sure about that?
2nd gen is all-in-one... the dash/screen/hookups are all one piece. The other version has it's own little hardware box that runs off of the unit. Quite honestly, everything is plug n play. Wiring it's self explanatory as you can only plug them into the right connections, otherwise things wouldn't fit. You will have some wires left over that you won't need to use. I think I had 3 sets of aux/rca cables and I didn't use the antenna plug.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
http://stangatx.cf/

Has a install guide which shows you how to get things apart. The installation as said is pretty easy.

Last edited:

Jmasseo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost fbo e85
Yeah mines the 2nd gen then. I plan to start the install tonight and finish it up in the morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Yeah mines the 2nd gen then. I plan to start the install tonight and finish it up in the morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Just take your time. Pulling off the dash trim was the only thing that worried me because I hate breaking clips on plastic crap. There are some basic, non Tesla head unit install videos you can watch to see what's needed. Also remove the hardware that holds the shifter/center console in place so you can slide it back to give yourself more room by the unit. Just make sure you test everything before bolting it back into the dash heh.

I spent around 3 hours start to finish taking my time.