Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The "Safe and Smart" package may just be adaptive cruise control with automatic braking and rain sensing wipers like the 15-17 package, but with a few more added in like auto high-beam, pedestrian detection, lane departure warning and possibly lane keep assist.
I wouldn't be interested in the Safe and Smart package. It's somewhat sad that this technology even exits, because what it basically says is that as time goes on people just don't have the attention span or skills to properly drive a car anymore. Gateway to autonomous cars. :(

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I wouldn't be interested in the Safe and Smart package. It's somewhat sad that this technology even exits, because what it basically says is that as time goes on people just don't have the attention span or skills to properly drive a car anymore. Gateway to autonomous cars. :(
Well that could be said for any innovation..sometimes auto braking is needed as poor weather, poor lighting conditions can come up and the person can't react fast enough, even when paying attention.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Well that could be said for any innovation..sometimes auto braking is needed as poor weather, poor lighting conditions can come up and the person can't react fast enough, even when paying attention.
Ideally that'll be the way it works eventually. It's pretty limited currently in bad weather because if your front end gets covered in snow for example, sensors and radar stop working. Tesla's Autopilot has been known to just quit in bad weather and defer to the driver. So really this stuff is still just a luxury that feels like a backseat driver to me. I'm all for it for the commuter cars though, makes me less nervous that these distracted drivers will rear end me.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
There is NO Auto Braking other than when the ACC is on.
If the car senses a obstruction ahead, the head up display comes on, the car screams at you, and the brakes are Primed, so as soon as you touch them, its as if you have pressed them to the floor and you will break hard. The brakes will NOT work by themselves

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I actually enjoy the BLIS...it's saved me a number of times from hitting things I didn't see right away.
BLIS is brilliant, even works on cyclists on you near side

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see that point ... but I just hope people don't think all these "safety features" are designed so they can not pay full attention to their driving. It's bad enough on the roads already with distracted drivers ... don't need them to have more excuses to not know how to drive. These features would help if used by a fully attentive driver.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I can see that point ... but I just hope people don't think all these "safety features" are designed so they can not pay full attention to their driving. It's bad enough on the roads already with distracted drivers ... don't need them to have more excuses to not know how to drive. These features would help if used by a fully attentive driver.
People don't full pay attention now. If there were never any avoidable accidents, we probably wouldn't be seeing all these safety features.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Nuts

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People don't full pay attention now.
I know ... and I hope all these tech nannies don't make people think they can be even more distracted and believe their car will "save their ass" if they can't drive it themselves. These safety features work best when drivers still pay attention to driving, so they can be valuable to those people. Not so much for the ever distracted people.

Storm75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V-6 Convertible
Larry -

I am in the exact same stage (turned 69 a couple of days ago) and I share your feelings!

This will be my last "fun" car, want to do it right.
Thinking a loaded GT Convertible in Crimson Red...
10-spd Auto for me also, bad left leg, driving a 2012 GT with manual now.

Rear axle-ratio: 3.55 would be best in my opinion

We can ride into the sunset together my friend!!

Mike

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
Larry -

I am in the exact same stage (turned 69 a couple of days ago) and I share your feelings!

This will be my last "fun" car, want to do it right.
Thinking a loaded GT Convertible in Crimson Red...
10-spd Auto for me also, bad left leg, driving a 2012 GT with manual now.

Rear axle-ratio: 3.55 would be best in my opinion

We can ride into the sunset together my friend!!

Mike
I am 67. All my cars have been MTs ----I grew up abroad. My current car, Mustang is he nicest car I have ever had. Wish I drove Mustangs when I was younger instead of Datsuns ans Peugeots. See you in the sunset as well

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I turned 70 this year and picked up my 2015 GT PP, standard transmission Ruby Red, in March 2015. I had muscle cars before I was married (last one was a '67 Chevelle, 327 CI, 4 speed). Wish I would have kept that one! The '15 Mustang GT is my fun car, only drive it during the summer months - garaged and covered over the winter. I've received lots of compliments on it and love driving it. See you other seniors in the "sunset"...
Sponsored