Sponsored

NVH or Clunk from Camber Plates

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Anyone else experience this? I feel like the ride is a lot harsher than it should be.

Before you ask, everything is tight. The suspension has been looked over by Steeda technicians in-person. They even replaced the front struts and reinstalled everything in the shop.

• Moving slowly out of my driveway, over bumps in parking lots, cracks in the road (not holes), uneven pavement, etc... there is a very audible ping/clunk sensation/sound.
  • Cruising fast on the highway, nothing at all. Big bumps/potholes/etc... are rough as they normally are, but the additional sound/sensation I experience at low speeds is not there.

It's getting to a point where my ass clenches up just rolling around parking lots and I feel like I'm 'driving on eggshells' where every crack in the road makes me wince.

Total setup right now is:

• Steeda Camber Plates
  • Steeda Pro Action non-adjustible shocks and struts
  • Steeda ultralite linear springs
  • Sumitomo HTR Z III tires, less than 32 PSI

Everything else is stock performance pack.

I have brand new 19" forged wheels coming in a few days with Firestone Indy 500 tires. I've been told that my tires might be part of the problem so I will report back after doing that swap.

I live in Michigan where the roads kinda suck. I've had all kinds of vehicles and suspension setups (coilovers on my old GTI) and I am definitely aware of the fact that higher spring rates etc.. are going to make the ride more severe. I'm not expecting to have a luxury ride. That being said, this is different, feels like my tires are at like 300 psi.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have Michigan roads to compare my setup against, but the only difference other than tires between what we have is I have the regular Sport Linears, not Ultralite. When I first put on everything (back with the Sportlines), I had noise that I thought was the camber plates but it was the front spring seat. Do you know if that was changed when everything was reinstalled? It wasn't a ping or clunking sound for me though and really only happened when turning the wheel.

Have you changed anything else at all? I'm just wondering if the sound going over bumps could be attributed to something else like the STB or even the oil filter access panel or something else underneath the car.

Is it coming from both sides or just one side?

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't have Michigan roads to compare my setup against, but the only difference other than tires between what we have is I have the regular Sport Linears, not Ultralite. When I first put on everything (back with the Sportlines), I had noise that I thought was the camber plates but it was the front spring seat. Do you know if that was changed when everything was reinstalled? It wasn't a ping or clunking sound for me though and really only happened when turning the wheel.

Have you changed anything else at all? I'm just wondering if the sound going over bumps could be attributed to something else like the STB or even the oil filter access panel or something else underneath the car.

Is it coming from both sides or just one side?
I definitely know what you are talking about. I have not replaced the rubber spring perch/isolator/bearing. The issue does not come up with turning, only when driving over disturbances in the road.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
One side or both sides though?

That's a long road trip if it is something else that is just loose in the car! Based on how they get installed, I don't really see how they could be pinging unless something wasn't fully tightened and that should be present at all speeds (although the engine/exhaust/wind noise at higher speeds could be masking it).

Since your issue only seems to happen at low speed, I'd see if you can grab a friend with a good ear (or someone you trust to drive your car slowly if you want to listen) and drive around in an empty lot with the hood up and listening closely. Might be able to better pinpoint if it is coming from the strut/camber plate or somewhere else.

Sponsored

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah that’s a good idea. I’m also thinking I need to mount my GoPro somewhere in the wheel well to try and capture it.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
If the normal culprits have been checked, I would look at the front swaybar endlinks and make sure they are tightly secured to the strut. Be sure, also, that the endlinks are installed on the correct side.

Other than that, I’m at a loss. I have the same setup (less the camber plates/different tires) and have no issues with pops, snaps, or ride quality.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If the normal culprits have been checked, I would look at the front swaybar endlinks and make sure they are tightly secured to the strut. Be sure, also, that the endlinks are installed on the correct side.

Other than that, I’m at a loss. I have the same setup (less the camber plates/different tires) and have no issues with pops, snaps, or ride quality.
Appreciate the response.

I think the common denominator is the camber plates. Hoping to hear some more stories of other owners.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have that exact same issue. My lady now considers my car jank. I bought the Steeda ProAction, Ultralite and camber plates used already assembled. I am going to take it all apart and then put them back together while watching the Steeda and LMR videos. I have unbolted the sway bar, end link and brakes and then re-torqued all of them with no change.

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
so you all think its the steeda camber plates? I was going to order these soon.

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen several people that have zero issue with these plates. I am pretty sure these were assembled incorrectly before me. I will know for sure this weekend.

TheMark

obsessed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Ignot Silver
My Steeda plates were installed 2 weeks ago, absolutely silent

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
My Steeda plates were installed 2 weeks ago, absolutely silent
This is how they should be ... thank you for sharing.

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
so you all think its the steeda camber plates? I was going to order these soon.
There should be no issues with the Steeda camber plates - where are you at in FL?

TJ
Sponsored