Not driving much - oil change?

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
I don't drive our 2015 convertible GT much, but have been changing the oil once a year with full synthetic at the dealer when the oil life indicator alerted me (typically right at 12 months given my low mileage usage). Bought it new in 2015 and it still only has ~22k miles on the odometer. I've only driven ~1500 miles in the last year, the oil level is good and it still looks clean to me on the dipstick. No problems with the car ever and it's not driven hard. I know it's safer to just keep changing at 1 year anyway, but it seems wasteful of both money and oil to dump and refill it. Thoughts?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
and it's not driven hard.
See that's what usually causes oil to go bad prematurely. Driving it hard every once in a while is needed to get the oil hot.

I would say just putting around for a year it's definitely time to drain it. Oil is cheap, and if you take it to a place that recycles it it's not as much of a waste.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
See that's what usually causes oil to go bad prematurely. I would say just putting around for a year it's definitely time to drain it.
^ This. These engines are made to be brought up to full operating temperature and driven in a performance-oriented manner. Not doing so, while delaying or extending the maintenance schedule is asking for trouble.

Ford's Engineers developed a system to maintain the engine and other components for the life of the car. I do not have the education or quantifiable data to say otherwise.

The existing fluids are recycled after changing. Keeping the engine, drivetrain and car at its best prevents unnecessary, expensive and resource-intensive repairs.

If you don't use the car that much or consider it an effort to look after it, maybe time to sell. The market continues to do very well. You'd find a buyer quickly and get a good price.

Last edited:

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
No, it's not a waste. On the contrary.

If you drive 2k/year, changing oil once/year is fine. Change the oil just before winter.

I do all my own oil changes always have. I enjoy it. For my '20 Mustang GT:

1) $28/jug, w/tax, (2x) for Mobil1 5W-20.
2) $6.50 w/tax, for FL500S Motorcraft Oil Filter
3) $.25 aluminum foil to make a oil filter funnel.
4) $.25 Duct tape used to hold the door flap open.
5) $.25 pair of latex gloves.

28+28+6.5+.25+.25+.25= $63.25/oil change.

I didn't include cost of the Oil Pan ($5), Jack ($175) Jack Stands ($50), 6 or 7 mm Wrench to open the door ($10), Ronin Oil Drain Plug ($80), Oil Filter wrench to loosen filter ($10), Funnel to put oil back in ($5), plastic bags to dispose of the oil filter ($.25), rags/paper towels ($2), or trip to recycling center to dispose of the used oil($4).

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm in the same boat as you for the last 3 years. When COVID hit, my company went to a remote work model and never went back. Last year I put ~1,800 miles on my mustang and this year is looking around the same.

I'll continue to change my oil once a year unless I start driving more again. It's cheap insurance in my opinion and I recycle the used oil so not concerned with environmental impact either.

Sponsored

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Thanks for the feedback, I'm inclined to change too - I plan to keep the car as long as I can. I've been doing the changes at our local Ford dealer and they charged ~$120 for the "Works" last year with some promo deal (for full synthetic oil) - seems reasonable to me given the amount of oil the 5.0 takes.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Do you guys just not go on drives for fun lol? I take mine out a couple times a week at night to rip through all the gears and launch it, you'll never be young with a mustang again so gotta make the most of it :crazy:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Leave 100% SYNTHETIC oil in there for a year, not driven. I bet my paycheck that if you get it analyzed, they'd tell you it's good to go.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I say its time for some road trips!

That oil change is required because over time oil gets contaminated with moisture and starts to degrade.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Do you guys just not go on drives for fun lol? I take mine out a couple times a week at night to rip through all the gears and launch it, you'll never be young with a mustang again so gotta make the most of it :crazy:
Well I have a Mustang but it s too late for being young, LOL. I did run my car up The Tail Of The Dragon today!!

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My last oil change was May of 2022, 2k miles ago. The oil looks fresh and when I take it out, I'm not "putting" around. Not worried about it. Oil in the can (or crankcase) doesn't need any special treatment. I will change it myself with whatever full syn is on special before winter.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I don't drive our 2015 convertible GT much, but have been changing the oil once a year with full synthetic at the dealer when the oil life indicator alerted me (typically right at 12 months given my low mileage usage). Bought it new in 2015 and it still only has ~22k miles on the odometer. I've only driven ~1500 miles in the last year, the oil level is good and it still looks clean to me on the dipstick. No problems with the car ever and it's not driven hard. I know it's safer to just keep changing at 1 year anyway, but it seems wasteful of both money and oil to dump and refill it. Thoughts?
I barely went over 2,000 miles on mine and the oil life was 9%. It's incredible because after my oil change, I would drive maybe 60-70 miles of mostly freeway and it's down to 97% already. I just did my oil change on my Honda and it just turned on the 15% oil life maintenance light. I checked when I did the last one and I had traveled 10,300 miles! Of course my Honda only takes 4 qts. of oil vs. 10 qts. for my GT. I'm waiting to get my results on both cars' oil analysis I sent in. If my GT results are that the oil could go much, much further, I may not change it when it says to. The low mileage isn't because of "short trips" but that I don't use it maybe once or twice a week (usually weekends). Of course it'll stay in the garage when winter comes with the associated snow.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I barely went over 2,000 miles on mine and the oil life was 9%.
Ford's Oil Life Monitor uses several factors as it counts down. Just sitting, as in storage, the Monitor will tick down 1.92% a week, expiring at 0% at the end of one year. This could explain why you were down to 9% at 2,000 miles.

Last edited:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
The two biggest reasons to change the oil is dirt and moisture, time is not high on the list. If the engine never warms up and stay hot long enough to evaporate the moisture it gets acidic and becomes a big problem. If you take it for a long drive about once a month that should not be an issue. The dirt comes from mileage driven. I'm not keen on dumping out oil that looks just as clean as when it went in. I say find an ice cream shop in the next town over and take the family for a nice drive. Then don't worry about changing the oil until it's hit whatever mileage interval you use.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You will not get a report back (at least from Blackstone) that recommends changing your oil based on time. And certainly not at an arbitrary one year. Most don’t wanna hear this and will do once a year out sheer warranty fear; to each his own. Your report is gonna come back greet.
Sponsored