Not another Water/meth injection thread

AlexZafo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I used to run water meth on my older twin turbo Audi making around 600whp. so i know the benefits and and the drawbacks of using it. this is not another pro/con post. My question to you all is this, where do you tap in to inject the water/meth mixture?

A little information on my build first, I'm running your standard Paxton setup, 3.6" pulley, 2018 manifold, JLT intake, DW1000 injectors, a Vortech BAP, regular headers with cat deletes, and a SW catback. no idea how much power I'm making as I've never had it on a Dyno, but i see around 9 to 10 lbs of boost at around 7600-7800 RPM

I've got a snow stage 2 progressive setup sitting in the garage, and when just browsing the internet I saw that snow makes a throttle plate adapter for our S550's, and that's what got me thinking. the main reason for me using the water/meth is for cooler IAT's as even with just 93 octane i see very little knock. with around 16-18 degrees of timing at WOT so its really just for those super hot days here in NC out at the track (and maybe a bit more power..... ) Now I'm not 100% where the S550's get their IATS, but I'm pretty sure its from the MAF/MAP sensor, so then throttle body plate would be useless because even with the cooler charge hitting the motor, the computer wouldn't be able to adjust because its not reading it, is that correct?

Most of the forums/posts I've read say that you see the best performance pre-blower, I'm assuming that's for roots style blowers as it doesn't have a very long way to travel, and even hits the "intercooler" and cools the charge down even more. on my setup pre-blower is a pretty significant distance to travel and the mixture would get bled out through the blow off valve between shifts. so i don't think that's ideal. Now pre-intercooler/post-blow off valve sounds pretty good as then it'll cool the intercooler as well and help but then its still gotta travel a pretty significant distance. I can tap into the charge pipes right before the MAF/MAP sensor and that sounds to me like it would be the Manufactures choice to put something like this. and then If I'm completely wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about (definitely a possibility) the plate adapter would work just fine and I'm totally overthinking everything.

I know there's a few guys running on here, and a hell of a lot more people that know more than i do about the car and could maybe shed some light and teach me a few things along the way. any insight is helpful. thanks!!
Sponsored

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
You could do an iat breakhour harness and install the iat sensor in the intake manifold somehow.

Then your iat would be after the throttle plate.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I have my nozzle just after the intercooler which is about 20" before the throttle body. I used an IAT breakout harness and moved the IAT sensor about 12" before the throttle body. The idea was to let the IAT sensor see the actual air charge temperature post methanol nozzle. So far it works very well.

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Chris where is your maf in all of this?

What power level are you at and how much is the meth helping the iat?

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
MAF is in the cold side intercooler tank (procharger puts them there). Not sure about power. I'm guessing 650-700 wheel? but really have no idea. Only about 8lbs of P1X boost and running 50/50 meth, water mix. Yesterday I saw iAT's around 45 degrees, but it's cool here in Arizona now. Also, I'm using a single 10gph nozzle if that helps.

Sponsored

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Just trying to gather some information. I have a single turbo setup I want to put some meth on soon.

How are you controlling and arming the meth? Hobbs switch?

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
No hobbs switch. I'm running the Alky Control kit that is triggered and progressively controlled via a MAP sensor. It's kind of a tedious install, but a very well built and designed system.
20181129_172604.jpg
IMG_20181030_164720725.jpg
20181129_204137.jpg

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
That’s the kit I planned on running.

Thank you for the information

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
I run an Alky Control system as well. my meth is injected about 10" before the TB and my remote IAT is about 4" before the TB. I run 100% meth but that doesnt affect a discussion about where to mount it all!!:crackup:
engine1.jpg
engine2.jpg

OP
OP
AlexZafo

AlexZafo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Awesome information guys, thank you. Is there a kit somewhere to relocate the IAT sensor? I'm running a Paxton kit so my MAF sensor is right before the TB, maybe 10-12" (the rubber hose literally connects the maf housing to the TB) I can probably just tap into the charge pipe post intercooler before the MAF and it would be a very similar setup to all of yours.

Sponsored

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
definitely do not put it before the MAF. water+maf = BAD!!!

the vmp setup is what i used as well.
Sponsored