Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Hi forum,

I have the following issue:

When I'm driving out of a parking spot, fully turning steering left, and start parking out, I hear a knocking, coming from behind the steering wheel (left side). I sometimes can feel it in the pedals. Maybe it's a connected issue, maybe not.

Ford already changed the steering joint, and also left strut bearing, but the noise is still there.

I tried to capture it in following video

It's in German, but If u try to listen to 0:25-0:30 and also other left turning u can hear it. But u have to listen carefully. I'm clueless. So maybe you have any idea what it could be...? The issue is there from beginning, so it's nothing came with time.
Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I couldn't really hear it, but it could be the tires. There's lots of discussion on here about how bad the OEM Pirelli tires are. I had a "clunking noise when low speed turning and it went away when I replaced the tires.

Also, it isn't good to turn your sterring wheel all the way to full lock like you're doing in the video.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I couldn't really hear it, but it could be the tires. There's lots of discussion on here about how bad the OEM Pirelli tires are. I had a "clunking noise when low speed turning and it went away when I replaced the tires.

Also, it isn't good to turn your sterring wheel all the way to full lock like you're doing in the video.
I definitely hear/feel some wonkiness if I lock the steering in either direction. So I've just gotten into the habit of leaving a tiny bit of a gap when doing complete low-speed turns.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's very, very hard to hear the noise in the video.
OP, is the noise you hear only on moving (driving)? Or does it happen if you're just sitting still and turning the steering wheel? Is it a rhythmic noise independent of the steering wheel turning or does it coincide with wheel movement? Does the steering wheel take any extra effort to move when it makes noise?

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
It was only while moving and turning the wheel at very low speeds. Like backing out of a parking spot. No extra effort on the steering wheel. Just sounded like a popping noise. First thought was a ball joint or something like that. I read some the MANY other posts about it and several people suggested the cheap quality of the Pirelli's. Sure enough as soon as I got new tires, it stopped.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I heard it. It's probably nothing to be concerned about. Actually sounds like a slight knock of the exhaust system.

Look.....cars make noises. They don't always mean something is wrong or broken.

Hell, with hydraulic steering assist, you're not supposed to turn all the way one way or the other and hold the steering wheel. I'm imagining it's not that great for EPAS either.

OP
OP

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Sorry for late reply. Yes it's really hard to capture it on video. 0.47-0.48 the noise is to hear if you really full turn up the volume.

It does only happen when moving.
If I turn steering wheel while standing nothing to hear. Only when fully turning left and moving (like driving out of parking spot). It does make 'knock knock knock' coming from left area of the car. The noise is better to hear if I do it being on uneven surface.

I will let it check the third time next week and let u know...

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the exact same problem, identical noise identical situation. Only when starting from a stop only when the wheel is all the way left. Doesn’t do it when turning right. They replaced both halves of the steering column and checked for loose bolts. They also replaced the strut mount. It appeared to go away for a week and then came back.

My guess is that it’s a ball joint, I really hope is isn’t the steering rack. That’s not cheap or easy.

I was going crazy trying to find the cause, at this point I just ignore it. I figure eventually it will get really loud and the source will be obvious.

however if someone figures it out that would be great lol, seems like it’s a somewhat common issue. There’s a few threads on it.

Fury_Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2018
Do you drive your car into a car wash with one side (wheel) line that drags it through the automatic car wash?

Sponsored
OP
OP

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Nope. Always washed by hand. The noise is definetly not to feel in the steering wheel. It also does not come from below the car. It feels like something directly behind the steering wheel left area.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Maybe worth checking in the wheel arch at the liner. Mine was making a very similar noise and the vertical inner liner was caught on the lower wishbone. The bit circled in red was flipped over the arm

1696431834938.png

OP
OP

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
I returned to the Ford dealership once more, where they had already replaced the universal joint and left strut bearing, but without any success in resolving the issue. I had a conversation with the mechanic, who couldn't identify any obvious component that could be causing the popping noise. He also noticed the noise in the foot area. His final suggestion was to replace the steering gear, although he expressed doubt that this would ultimately resolve the noise problem.

@GregS can I check that without moving up the car... somehow? Did u also felt the "noise" in the foot area

OP
OP

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
I have the exact same problem, identical noise identical situation. Only when starting from a stop only when the wheel is all the way left. Doesn’t do it when turning right. They replaced both halves of the steering column and checked for loose bolts. They also replaced the strut mount. It appeared to go away for a week and then came back.

My guess is that it’s a ball joint, I really hope is isn’t the steering rack. That’s not cheap or easy.

I was going crazy trying to find the cause, at this point I just ignore it. I figure eventually it will get really loud and the source will be obvious.

however if someone figures it out that would be great lol, seems like it’s a somewhat common issue. There’s a few threads on it.
Also for me after both repairs the noise went away for some hours/day, where I thought "oh ok, they finally found the issue and the repair was succesful" - I think it was because the car was lifted up and down afterwards while repairing - suspension/front parts were relaxed and kind of stuff.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I returned to the Ford dealership once more, where they had already replaced the universal joint and left strut bearing, but without any success in resolving the issue. I had a conversation with the mechanic, who couldn't identify any obvious component that could be causing the popping noise. He also noticed the noise in the foot area. His final suggestion was to replace the steering gear, although he expressed doubt that this would ultimately resolve the noise problem.

@GregS can I check that without moving up the car... somehow? Did u also felt the "noise" in the foot area
In my case the wheel arch liner flap was catching the inner part of the tyre which made the noise on full lock. Easy to see if that is the problem.
Sponsored