Sponsored

nGauge screen replacement

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic w/ Dark Saddle In
Anyone know what type of screen the nGauge uses? My screen is cracked, touch function still works but I can only see half the screen. Someone had posted an eBay listing to a replacement screen several years back however that listing no longer exists.

I've got my nGauge taken apart, and can see that the lcd panel has the LCD, backlight, and touch screen all coming together on the same flat cable. The cable has 51 pins, with what looks like .3mm pitch based on measuring the cable and dividing by 51.

I assumed that a touch screen would be a pretty standard off the shelf electronic item, but I can't for the life of me find any touch screens that have 51 pins. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

In reality, I don't keep this thing mounted at all, and I have only ever used it to flash my tune. If I can't find a replacement screen that will work, is there a way to utilize the tuner through a computer? Like have the ngauge plugged into the car and PC at the same time and control it via the PC?

Thanks for any suggestions
20231208_125912.jpg
20231208_125840.jpg
20231208_114139.jpg
20231208_002536.jpg
20231208_121045.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reached out to them, they said they no longer carry it. It is surprisingly hard to find a touch screen tft display that uses a 51pin .3mm pitch fpc connector. Most of what I can find is 40 pin, at .5mm pitch. I did reach out to crystalfontz who appears to specialize in different LCD screens with photos asking if they might have anything compatible. If not, my best bet is to probably try buy an old nGauge that can't be unlocked any longer, and can't be used for anything but data logging, then swap screens.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
2.4" 320 x 240 Color LCD touch

if you put that in Google, there are a ton of displays that are that size.

Since your display is already broken I would dismantle it completely and see if you can find any manufacture part numbers on the inside of your display.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted pics of the unit dismantled... I've searched Google with the part numbers on the display's connector and it returned nothing. I've also searched Google for 2.4" resistive tft touch screens. Which as you said, there are plenty. The problem is the connector size and pin count is unique. If searching for a display on Google, you'll come across plenty of of 2.4" 320x240 resistive tft screens, but most will have only 40 pins, and they'll have .5mm spacing instead of .3mm.

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also looking for a screen. Have you found one?
I wasn't able to source one from any manufacturers. The LCD display company I reached out to with pictures and measurements said that it looked like a custom component and that they didn't have anything that was like it.

I did post a searching for ad in a mustang parts swap FB group in my state and actually had someone reach out to me saying he had one that was meant for HP tuners (mine is locked to Lund) and that HP tuners said they no longer support it or something to that effect (it might have been married still). So he said he didn't need it anymore since it didn't serve any use for him, and he actually sold it to me for $100 plus shipping. He even sent me the mount and wiring harness for it. I took it apart and was able to just swap the whole front face and plugged it in. Works great despite his nGauge being a later serial number with only 2 ports on the back (mine has 3).

I wish you luck finding one though, sucks that there's no easy way to get a screen for these things. I suggest checking FB marketplace or other parts swap group. Might even be helpful to check non mustang since I think the nGauge was for Camaros as well.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You could always buy my locked HPTuners NGauge for $200 and use its screen?
Just an idea.

20231105_021000~2.jpg

Sponsored

LouisiAnimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6 spd
I wasn't able to source one from any manufacturers. The LCD display company I reached out to with pictures and measurements said that it looked like a custom component and that they didn't have anything that was like it.

I did post a searching for ad in a mustang parts swap FB group in my state and actually had someone reach out to me saying he had one that was meant for HP tuners (mine is locked to Lund) and that HP tuners said they no longer support it or something to that effect (it might have been married still). So he said he didn't need it anymore since it didn't serve any use for him, and he actually sold it to me for $100 plus shipping. He even sent me the mount and wiring harness for it. I took it apart and was able to just swap the whole front face and plugged it in. Works great despite his nGauge being a later serial number with only 2 ports on the back (mine has 3).

I wish you luck finding one though, sucks that there's no easy way to get a screen for these things. I suggest checking FB marketplace or other parts swap group. Might even be helpful to check non mustang since I think the nGauge was for Camaros as well.
I’m so the screen was from the newer model and still worked with your older model? I was worried about having to find the older model like mine for it to work.

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, although I'm not sure if there are other revisions of the screen for even later models. I just know that the one I was able to get a hold of had just 2 plugs on the back with the gray OBD II connector, where mine has the black connector, and 3 ports on the back.