its just a 2 door fusion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So I just purchased a new set of DF5 wheels from LMR. Received 3 of the wheels the day after purchase. One wheel was delayed due to UPS having a 'mechanical failure', but nonetheless it was delivered promptly. The boxes they were shipped in looked pretty good and not all beat up. Upon opening the boxes and inspecting the wheels all of them had at least 1 small chip on the rear of the wheel (one was on the barrel of the wheel). I wasn't too worried because I figured this was typical shipping wheels that'd been painted. Well, I opened the last box (the wheel that was delayed) and this was by far the worst out of all of them. Quite a bit more scratches/chips, most being on the rear of the wheel. The face of the wheels were protected quite nicely (a foam cover, then a plastic liner, then a fabric netting, then cardboard on top). The rear of the wheels...not so much. The wheel itself was laying right on top of the cardboard with no protection.
I then decided to do a 'feel' test and rubbed my hand across the face of the wheels. They felt nice and smooth, but the sides of the spokes were quite rough. Not like orange peel rough but, 'grainy' rough. It looks like small particles have gotten themselves embedded into the paint. I'm thinking I might be able to clay bar the wheels smooth, but I'm not sure who's at fault for the paint chips.
The wheels

The paint chips (all of these are on the last wheel)

Smooth paint

Grainy Paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
I'm not saying they ARE but those look like they are "used" or terribly painted.........or both.

Eitherway, I'm confident that LMR will answer your questions and make you happy.

Last edited:

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
Wonder if somehow you got "factory blems". There are, or at least were, quite a few sets of diff downforce "new factory blems" on ebay last week so maybe companies that carry the wheels were shipped some as well.

EDIT: that being said, my new wheels from another vendor that UPS delivered Tuesday have a few small chips on the very edge of the face of the rim in a 1" segement on each wheel. Not enough to deal with the hassle of returning / waiting for new ones, etc.

OP
OP
gunsnbutta

gunsnbutta

its just a 2 door fusion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if somehow you got "factory blems". There are, or at least were, quite a few sets of diff downforce "new factory blems" on ebay last week so maybe companies that carry the wheels were shipped some as well.

EDIT: that being said, my new wheels from another vendor that UPS delivered Tuesday have a few small chips on the very edge of the face of the rim in a 1" segement on each wheel. Not enough to deal with the hassle of returning / waiting for new ones, etc.

When you say 'blems' are you talking about blemishes? And yeah, they are all on the rear of the wheel which won't be seen. I'm sure they'll get scratched even when I get the tires mounted, and just normal driving. What I'm most annoyed by is that grainy feel. I really hope it comes out with clay. I want to see if some of the other guys that got DF5's from LMR have the same issues.

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
When you say 'blems' are you talking about blemishes? And yeah, they are all on the rear of the wheel which won't be seen. I'm sure they'll get scratched even when I get the tires mounted, and just normal driving. What I'm most annoyed by is that grainy feel. I really hope it comes out with clay. I want to see if some of the other guys that got DF5's from LMR have the same issues.

Yes factory blemished wheels were being sold at discounts. Unlikely, but possible retailers were shipped some by accident or to sell cheaper and they got mixed up

Sponsored

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Gotta agree with ultra, they definitely look used, I have no doubt LMR will take care of you though, good luck!

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Best thing to do is to call LMR and give them the opportunity to first learn about the problem and then try to remedy it. They are a reputable company and Im sure you will be handled properly. There is no reason why you have to deal with the scratches, even if they are on the back, and have to clay bar to make smooth.

OP
OP
gunsnbutta

gunsnbutta

its just a 2 door fusion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'll give them a call. Do you guys think they'd tell me if they are used or not? They were shipped in a box that said wheel replicas on the side and the center caps say zr wheels. I guess that's the brand, but I didn't find anything online about them.

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
im going to stay neautral on this but here is what I recommend.

1. Did you get additional shipping insurance for the shipment? if so then you can file a claim with the shipping company.

2. contact LMR and bring the concern up and see if they can address the concern for you.

Now for the finish not every wheel will be smooth all depends on the finishing process used and the wheel itself.

OP
OP
gunsnbutta

gunsnbutta

its just a 2 door fusion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
im going to stay neautral on this but here is what I recommend.

1. Did you get additional shipping insurance for the shipment? if so then you can file a claim with the shipping company.

2. contact LMR and bring the concern up and see if they can address the concern for you.

Now for the finish not every wheel will be smooth all depends on the finishing process used and the wheel itself.

No I didn't get any add'l shipping insurance. I actually ordered them over the phone, and they shipped out within 2 hours. The finish isn't different on each wheel. Every wheel feels the same. The face is smooth but the side of some of the spokes are rough. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
No I didn't get any add'l shipping insurance. I actually ordered them over the phone, and they shipped out within 2 hours. The finish isn't different on each wheel. Every wheel feels the same. The face is smooth but the side of some of the spokes are rough. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable.

alright well you cant file a claim with the shipping company then you can bring it up with LMR see if they will at least give some money back if possible though. Keep in mind that the damage seems to be on the back not on the face so its not that big of a deal as well brotha since those areas will be covered by the tire when mounted up anyway.

for the finish its probably rough because when they are painted in the factory its by a machine so its sprays the finish as best as it can, as long as the finish doesnt start peeling or fading your fine.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
used wheels will show major finish wear on the taper surface that the lugnut tightens on... you cannot confuse used for new once you look in there.

Those dont look used to me... looks like the manufacturer just doesnt care of the back side of the wheel takes a little blemishing in the process of handling, packaging, and shipping.

If thats all on the backside, I would just mount tires and forget about it. After a few tire changes they are going to look a lot worse than that anyway.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Maybe they were used for test fitting tires? :shrug: The srcatches could be from the mounting/unmounting? :shrug: As others have stated, give LMR a shout and let them take care of you.
Sponsored