Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
If the software is serial number specificate and they use an encrypted key what good will an E-bay purchased USB do you?
I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of if, they'll have to do that to prevent pirating, and let's face it, it's not that hard to do and since no one is really hacking these like hacking AAA games, it'll work just fine.
Sponsored

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
If the software is serial number specificate and they use an encrypted key what good will an E-bay purchased USB do you?
It remains to be seen if the USB Ford sends is actually specific to your Sync ESN. The dealership may be asking for it just to order it. Until someone goes through the files on the drive, we don't know for sure.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think I would hold off on this update. NA 1.17 was released in March but it's still not publicly available yet. Since the map updates are on a USB, it's only a matter of time before they start popping up on eBay for way cheaper than $150.
its VIN-protected haha its one usb per ford :thumbsup:

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
So I was reading on another forum the map NA 1.16 update downgrades your gracenotes version. The newer maps (NA 1.17 update) is actually already on vehicles made after January 2018 apparently. I can't confirm that since my Mustang hasn't arrived yet. I think I'll go to the dealership down the street when they open and see whats on a few of the GT's they have on the lot. A few of them were built in February so I'm curious if they have the NA 1.17 map version.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
its VIN-protected haha its one usb per ford :thumbsup:
Update isn't VIN protected. If there is any protection on the USB, it would be the serial number from Sync.

EDIT: I was doing some browsing in other forums and the cert file on the drive has your ESN.

Sponsored

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of if, they'll have to do that to prevent pirating, and let's face it, it's not that hard to do and since no one is really hacking these like hacking AAA games, it'll work just fine.
I was hoping Sync 3 map updates would be like the navigation updates with MFT. You can buy legit versions from Ford dealerships on eBay for way cheaper than buying direct from Ford navigation site.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
They originally planned to sell the updates for $10 with a profit of $9 per unit. But the DRM measures added $140 to the price.
$20 reasonable, hell even if it was $50 its still fair. I understand everyone wants to make money, but I draw the line at price gouging, DRM or not doesnt make price gouging legal.

I have Waze, Google. If the dumb Sync 3 unit cant find a way to get where I need to go, the other 2 apps are ready willing and able to do it.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Ahhhhhh. Success thanks to this post: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2197698&postcount=18

I don't think I will ever load a gray copy of anything into a car again! Hopefully, Ford pushes whatever updates that are needed onto the wifi. At any rate, thanks to those who figured this stuff out!

Now to figure out which brand of Scotch to buy for tonight. Killed my Laphroaig

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I just don't get why anyone would pay for this update when they can use Google/Waze.
Two reasons, for me. First, I want to be able to use navigation on a whim without having to get my phone out and plug in like some kind of astronaut getting ready for launch. Second, Google already knows a lot more about me than I'm comfortable with. I'd rather not give them any more data to mine than I have to.

Fortunately I've already got the 1.16 maps. Kind of lame if they're now providing Sirius XM Traffic and Travel Link free for five years but they want $150 per year to keep the maps up to date and make it useful.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
$20 reasonable, hell even if it was $50 its still fair. I understand everyone wants to make money, but I draw the line at price gouging, DRM or not doesnt make price gouging legal.

I have Waze, Google. If the dumb Sync 3 unit cant find a way to get where I need to go, the other 2 apps are ready willing and able to do it.
Hopefully this is just a kludge that they've put in place to get around the fact that some of the older cars don't have an easy means for over the air updates. Ford isn't going to be taken seriously in this market if they can't make over the air updates a hassle free experience.

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I will not pay $150 for updated maps for all of the reasons mentioned. Some dealerships on eBay will likely eventually sell them cheaper.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Sounds like there's going to be a cottage industry selling potentially useless map upgrades on Ebay. Read the thread, folks. These are keyed to the ESN of the car that they're ordered for. Unless someone figures out a way around that they're likely useless for anyone but the original owner.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Sounds like there's going to be a cottage industry selling potentially useless map upgrades on Ebay. Read the thread, folks. These are keyed to the ESN of the car that they're ordered for. Unless someone figures out a way around that they're likely useless for anyone but the original owner.
We did read the thread ... Even with Sync 2 you could buy official map updates cheaper on eBay from other dealerhsips. Notice I specifically said dealerships. $150 is likely MSRP. On my old EB I got a legit map update for $69.95, instead of the $150+, on eBay still in originally packaging, shrink wrapped, and shipped from some random Ford Dealer across the US from me.

Maybe we're not the one that needs to reread the thread, as someone else said the exact thing I just said (in fewer words) ... ;)

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
anyone else excited besides me on this oem nav update? im missing butt load of roads and i recently got sirius travel link showing traffic info

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
My entire neighborhood doesn't exist in my maps, and it's existed for a little over 2 years, though we've lived here for a year. So yes, it'd be nice if it were more updated as it's basically useless around DFW right now.
Sponsored