Sponsored

New Key Fob

Cloudy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Finally getting my car to where it's halfway up to my tastes and now I'm working on getting it more convenient for myself, namely getting a second key fob that I didn't get when buying it. Where do you all recommend getting a new one from? Fork over all my money to the dealership or are there some decent alternatives?
Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Unless you bought the car used you should have got 2 key fobs check the glove box. You need 2 working key fobs in order to program a 3rd one unless you take it to the dealership. $$$

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hit up eBay, there’s usually all sorts of Ford fobs on there and for better pricing than any Dealership.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
With only one fob the second will have to be programed by someone with the proper equipment.
Dealers are expensive and seldom program and cut the keys themselves.
Ebay, etc are a lot less expensive to buy the physical key but you still have to find and pay someone to program and cut the key.

Your best bet is to find a good automotive locksmith. Mobile locksmiths are pretty easy to find, can program and cut the key for substantially less than a dealer and are convenient all while being much more reasonably priced.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
As others have said, Ebay for the OEM fob, and you'll need an automotive locksmith unless you want to deal with a stealership.

I bought a third fob off ebay, and programmed it myself, but thats only because I had two fobs already. Which is super easy and cool to be able to do, lmao!!

Oh, and being a scumbag upbadger, I grabbed a GT350 fob for shiz and giggles. Lol. To be fair, nobody sees it, and I normally dont mention it, its just a lil extra flair I keep to myself.

Sponsored

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert
I bought a replacement from eBay...make sure the FCC and model numbers match if you want to be really sure. I paid ~$30.
Paid a local locksmith $80 to reprogram. Meet at his location on his timeline for a discount.

$110 beats the hell out of $275+ I got from 3 diff dealers for parts and programming.

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Finally getting my car to where it's halfway up to my tastes and now I'm working on getting it more convenient for myself, namely getting a second key fob that I didn't get when buying it. Where do you all recommend getting a new one from? Fork over all my money to the dealership or are there some decent alternatives?
I recall buying a key fob from a locksmith then getting it programmed by them. It was all the matter of them having the right gear for it. And if I recall I had a few different locksmiths do it. Eventually I got a second key programmed. Saved$$$ from buying from the stealership. Additionally, I bought a key from eBay and had some headaches getting it programmed myself if I remember. But eventually I did get it to accept.
Sponsored