Sponsored

New GT350R Here!

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats to your father on the purchase! I thought referring to your dad as "the old man" was something done in movies. To each their own, but if my sons ever referred to me as their "old man", they sure wouldn't be driving my car. If they don't respect me, how can I expect them to respect the car?
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Congrats! Very nice car, and especially nice to share something like that between father and son.

If you do a search for "rock blockers," you'll find posts that will help with the sticky rubber problem you talked about. There are also several threads on clear bra/ppf, to include some specifically on xpel. I had my entire car done with SunTek. No regrets and great peace of mind. Plenty of info posted to inform your and your father's decision either way.

Good luck and have fun.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Congrats to your father on the purchase! I thought referring to your dad as "the old man" was something done in movies. To each their own, but if my sons ever referred to me as their "old man", they sure wouldn't be driving my car. If they don't respect me, how can I expect them to respect the car?
I think its an endearing term. Plus he is likely old...and a man.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey all! My pops just picked up his new 2016 GT350R a couple weeks ago. He's not big on the whole internet forum thing, and to be honest I'll probably drive the car as much as he does, so figured I'd finally stop lurking and set an account up for both of us. Since it's all anybody really cares about, here are a couple quick pics (please forgive the poor quality phone pics - I keep forgetting to bring my camera when we go to visit):

First impressions: WOW. I currently drive an MK7 Golf R (the family hauler) and the old man owned a 997.1TT 6spd prior to this, which I drove a lot. That car was really great, and pretty damn fast, but this one is so much more exciting and just spine-tinglingly RAW. And dat sound. It is literally the best sound I've ever heard. And I don't just mean from a car... that includes music, my 8 month old's first giggle, bedroom nosies, etc. :D We've put ~500 miles on it so far, with a good deal of spirited driving, and there's been a smile painted on my face the whole time. What a machine.

A couple observations:

1. This car tramlines like crazy! I know it's to be expected with the wide front rubber, but sometimes I find myself holding on for dear life. Has anybody with an R removed the carbon fiber wheels in favor of something a little more streetable? I know that sort of defeats the purpose of the R, but we plan on tracking the car, so we could reserve the carbon wheels and the Sport Cup 2s for the track. Any recommendations for sizing, wheel brand, tires, etc.?

2. The sticky rubber kicks up rocks all over the place. I constantly find myself cringing at the sound of pebbles bouncing off the fenders, rocker panels, etc. Been considering xpel or something like that... any thoughts on whether its worth it?

3. Sometimes, when I put the car in first gear at a complete stop, I hear a soft clunk coming from the rear of the car. Anybody else notice that? Anything to be concerned about?

Any other recs/suggestions for a new owner are of course appreciated.

Anyway, thats enough for now. This car is truly something special. Looking forward to being a member of the community and hopefully meeting some of you in person at some point. :cheers:
My 08 Bullitt has Michelin Pilot Super Sports and chucks all kinds of gravel up underneath the car, too. Always makes me cringe...

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Hey all! My pops just picked up his new 2016 GT350R a couple weeks ago. He's not big on the whole internet forum thing, and to be honest I'll probably drive the car as much as he does, so figured I'd finally stop lurking and set an account up for both of us. Since it's all anybody really cares about, here are a couple quick pics (please forgive the poor quality phone pics - I keep forgetting to bring my camera when we go to visit):

First impressions: WOW. I currently drive an MK7 Golf R (the family hauler) and the old man owned a 997.1TT 6spd prior to this, which I drove a lot. That car was really great, and pretty damn fast, but this one is so much more exciting and just spine-tinglingly RAW. And dat sound. It is literally the best sound I've ever heard. And I don't just mean from a car... that includes music, my 8 month old's first giggle, bedroom nosies, etc. :D We've put ~500 miles on it so far, with a good deal of spirited driving, and there's been a smile painted on my face the whole time. What a machine.

A couple observations:

1. This car tramlines like crazy! I know it's to be expected with the wide front rubber, but sometimes I find myself holding on for dear life. Has anybody with an R removed the carbon fiber wheels in favor of something a little more streetable? I know that sort of defeats the purpose of the R, but we plan on tracking the car, so we could reserve the carbon wheels and the Sport Cup 2s for the track. Any recommendations for sizing, wheel brand, tires, etc.?

2. The sticky rubber kicks up rocks all over the place. I constantly find myself cringing at the sound of pebbles bouncing off the fenders, rocker panels, etc. Been considering xpel or something like that... any thoughts on whether its worth it?

3. Sometimes, when I put the car in first gear at a complete stop, I hear a soft clunk coming from the rear of the car. Anybody else notice that? Anything to be concerned about?

Any other recs/suggestions for a new owner are of course appreciated.

Anyway, thats enough for now. This car is truly something special. Looking forward to being a member of the community and hopefully meeting some of you in person at some point. :cheers:
I have a 2016 GT350 track pack. I bought a set of FORGELINE GA1R open lug wheels and Michelin pilot sport cup 2 tires. The same tires you have on the GT350R. If you like the GA1R open lug FORGELINE wheels like I have I don't think you can go wrong. They weigh just 1 to 1.5 pounds more then the R carbon fiber wheels. And you can fit the 315/30ZR PILOT sport cup 2 on a 11x19 wheel without a problem.
I put my own Xpel on the whole front of the car, the mirrors, A-pillars, 12" of the roof, lower doors and rocker panels, and behind the rear wheels. You won't be sorry!

You may want to adjust your camber to 2.0 to 2.2 degrees if you're serious. I know the manual says 1.75 but it's not enough.

Also do yourself a favor and buy both of the ford performance oil catch cans, change the oil around 500 miles and run the highest octane fuel you can. I am currently running Sunoco 260GT 100 octane. Pulls like a pissed off mule and smells great :headbang:

Sponsored

OP
OP

3FIFTYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Hah, as somebody already pointed out, it's an endearing term. I respect him about as much as a son can respect a father and we are very close. As for actual ages, let's just say I'm a new dad, which makes him a grandpa. Which in my book makes it even cooler that he has an R. Anyway, sorry if the term offended anyone...

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Congrats to you and your dad with the GT350R. Great looking car.
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
You've got a cool dad :thumbsup:

Sponsored

WingnuT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1985 GT Conv, 1966 Fastback
Also do yourself a favor and buy both of the ford performance oil catch cans
I bought M-6766-A50S. What's the other one?

OP
OP

3FIFTYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Thanks for the recommendations on the Forgeline wheels. Will definitely look into them. As for adjusting the camber, that will require buying camber plates correct?

Also, for those of you recommending an early oil change, are you using Motorcraft or AMS? If you're using AMS, are you still using the Motorcraft oil filter as recommended in the supplement?

Thanks again for the advice and kind words. I like this place already. :)

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the recommendations on the Forgeline wheels. Will definitely look into them. As for adjusting the camber, that will require buying camber plates correct?

Also, for those of you recommending an early oil change, are you using Motorcraft or AMS? If you're using AMS, are you still using the Motorcraft oil filter as recommended in the supplement?

Thanks again for the advice and kind words. I like this place already. :)
I use amsoil and motorcraft filter. I changed my oil at 200 miles.
You can achieve over 2 degrees of camber without plates by chicagoing the bolts. But plates are more common.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)