Sponsored

New 2022 Mustang GT Convertible roof difficult to pull down and latch closed.

MyCoyote22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Are there any owners of either a 2021 or 2022 convertible that are finding the top difficult to latch close? Mine requires considerable effort to pull down against the header and usually requires someone pressing down on it from the outside inorder to latch it shut. Does Ford have a solution?
Sponsored

PonyLance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium Convertible
I have somewhat of the same problem. Takes quite a little effort to get it sealed back down. I didn't think it was anything out of spec, so I just deal with it.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Mine was a hard pull at first. Does stretch out after some use. It’s was fine after the first summer.

OP
OP

MyCoyote22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the responses. The dealer knows about the difficulty. I'll let it stretch out a bit more in the warm weather and if it doesn't improve, I'll address it further with the dealer.

Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
If the weather has not gotten hot there yet, like 80’s-90’s for any extended period of time and this car is new, I would say 100% normal. I have had several convertibles and even when living in Florida it would take a good month and a half to break it in. When you park the car at home make sure to leave the top up so it stretches. If it’s down for any amount of time it will actually shrink up a tad. The rule even with a well broken in top is to never store it with the top down for any long periods of time or it will shrink then expand, then shrink and expand. Too many times of that can actually ruin the front bar.

bitsnkiblz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
I bought a 22 convertible 2 months ago, here in Florida. I’ve opened and closed the top a couple dozen times, at temperatures from low 60s to low 90s. It sounds like your top requires much more effort to close than mine. I’ve never needed someone to push down from the outside. Mine requires a firm pull, probably around 20 lbs., which is about what I expected of a new top in a warm climate. If you’re operating the top in colder temperatures, I would expect it to take much more effort to close.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP

JBMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 2019 Ecoboost, 2023 Ecoboost HPP
There is a Ford service memo, SSM 51523, that identifies the problem on 2022-2023 convertibles. The memo states that a fix is expected to be released Q2 2023. It also states that dealers should report vehicles with the issue over the OASIS system.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MyCoyote22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I'll be keen to get further word on the fix. In the meantime, the dealer knows of the issue I'm having but I'll check with the service manager to see if it's reported in Oasis. Thanks!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You expect the top of a new convertible to be stiff, but not to the point where you need somebody pushing down on it from the outside. That's just wrong.

GreenVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green Mustang GT Convertible
i purchased mine 2 months ago. It's always taken a firm pull down to get it latched but last weekend it was nice weather and i kept the top down all weekend. When i finally decided to put the top back up it was a bitch. Was able to manage it by myself but it was not easy. I previously had a 2011 and it was always easy to latch with latches on each side. I'm not sure why it was changed to the single middle latch.
Two more observations, the new car top raises and lowers much faster than the 2011. And when you release the latch on the new one it immediately changes the music sound.

Last edited:

NOZ34ME

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert
Are there any owners of either a 2021 or 2022 convertible that are finding the top difficult to latch close? Mine requires considerable effort to pull down against the header and usually requires someone pressing down on it from the outside inorder to latch it shut. Does Ford have a solution?
My ‘23 is the same. 400 miles on it and I expect that with use, and warmer weather it will loosen up. I should add tho mine can be pulled down and latched from inside with just a little effort.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Ford does know about it - hence SSM 51523, top stops about 4" above windshield with high latching effort. Still no word on a fix yet.

I did have some experience trying to fix this for a guy who bought a brand new '23 EB in MP before the SSM came out. Peeled back the front portion of the top material and found the bow connecting straps were very tight. Drilled out the rivets for the straps and all was well. Removed the headliner and top, replaced the straps - everything was good until reinstalling the top material - same issue. The straps were visibly different length between the new and the old as well.

Seems like the bow connecting straps and top material weren't made to spec, causing an over-taught top. I wonder what the fix would be, as replacing top components is very labor intensive and real PITA unless you're a short skinny person.

For reference, the top latches should stop right on the strikers on the windshield panel and easily latch with little to no pull down effort.
Sponsored