Sponsored

Need some help from guys with recent Lund-tuned Whipples

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Can anyone characterize for me when the newer Lund tunes command the IC Pump and dual fans on?

I've been running an older Lund tune for the last year and a half that always turned the IC Pump and fans on any time accessory power was on. I've been working with them to resolve some driveability issues and they've moved me up to a newer baseline that we're trying to dial in; however, I've been noticing that my IC pump and fans don't seem to come on when I start the car anymore, and still don't come on when I let it idle to operating temperature. I just want to be sure it's working as intended before I continue to run it. I asked Lund about it, too, but I'm guessing they won't get back to me until Monday. Just hoping someone on here might be able to fill me in a little sooner.

Thanks! :cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Double check your relays. My fan relay was fried.
That was my first thought. Loaded the old tune and they fired right up.

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
Initially when I installed my Whipple I used the Whipple wiring harness which plugged into the CMCV valve connector. My pump and fans worked perfectly with the Whipple tune.

When I switched to the Lund tune I noticed that my IAT's were very high and then noticed that the pump and fans didn't run anymore. I contacted Lund and they had my wire the relays for the pump and fans directly into the fuse panel under the hood so that as soon as the key is turned on the relays are on as well. It's possible that Lund changed how they turn the relays on. Wiring them into the fuse panel is a sure fire way to fix this once and for all.

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Initially when I installed my Whipple I used the Whipple wiring harness which plugged into the CMCV valve connector. My pump and fans worked perfectly with the Whipple tune.

When I switched to the Lund tune I noticed that my IAT's were very high and then noticed that the pump and fans didn't run anymore. I contacted Lund and they had my wire the relays for the pump and fans directly into the fuse panel under the hood so that as soon as the key is turned on the relays are on as well. It's possible that Lund changed how they turn the relays on. Wiring them into the fuse panel is a sure fire way to fix this once and for all.
Mine is wired through CMCV connector right now. Maybe they'll want me to switch as well.

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I was told by PBD when I switched to Ken that there were 2 different configurations for how the pump and fans are powered. If you bought a kit within the last year, it "should" be the newer setup and work fine with a custom tune. My fans and pump run as soon as accessories are on. Take that with a grain of salt as I never spoke with Whipple directly about it.

Ironair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT PP
Did Ken at PBD say whether he preferred one way over the other? I am at that exact point in my install.

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Anybody have a wiring diagram for connecting the IC pump and fans directly to the fuse box? Obviously, I have the supply lines for the relays connected to one of the terminals, but they're always hot.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Did Ken at PBD say whether he preferred one way over the other? I am at that exact point in my install.
It wasn't a matter of preference but whether or not it would function at all. If it didn't work out of the box without the Whipple tune, it was going to require custom wiring. Mine worked five so we didn't get into it further.

Sponsored

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
Anybody have a wiring diagram for connecting the IC pump and fans directly to the fuse box? Obviously, I have the supply lines for the relays connected to one of the terminals, but they're always hot.
Simply tap into fuse 44 in the fuse box under the hood to get the ignition on power to turn on the pump and fans.

That is what Lund sent me from the Whipple manual to tap into.

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
How connect the tuner kit wiring to the car is pretty straightforward in the Whipple Install Manual...if you have the tuner kit wiring.

I made a little wiring diagram to use to communicate with Lund on exactly what I needed to do to modify the wiring from complete kit to tuner kit, just to make sure it was done right the first time.

Here it is, in case someone else needs it in the future.

Sponsored