Sponsored

MY18 REVIEWS: The thread to put the press/owner reviews of MY18

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Easy for me. A (motorcyclists, "sorry mate I didn't see you") knackered left ankle makes clutch work a chore.
I'm not against auto's, my own preference is for manual and I genuinely think they add to the Mustang experience. We may as well enjoy manuals while we can as well, as it appears they will be phased out sooner rather than later.

I've never really understood the heavy clutch argument, really, how small must your leg/calf be to be unable to push in a clutch :shrug:

I hope the A10 is as good as the latest PDK, so we all have a choice of the transmissions we prefer :D I do think however if you're on the fence, or don't need an auto for medical/other reasons it's a shame not to go totally old school and enjoy probably the last big naturally aspirated v8 engine mated to a good old manual :clap2:
Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Easy for me. A (motorcyclists, "sorry mate I didn't see you") knackered left ankle makes clutch work a chore.
I feel ya. I’d like the recarros but I’ll be having the heated seats for my
lumber spine damage riding a hard tail chop :headbonk:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I'd be asking myself the question, why is it I want the A10 box?

What is it that I want from the car, am I chasing numbers? Am I taking it on track and I'm only interested in lap times? Do I have a crappy commute every day in start/stop traffic?

I do a commute 2-3 days a week, and even with a sub 30 mph potter around in traffic I get more enjoyment from changing gears myself. Driving rather than just sitting back and letting the car do it's thing :cool:

Or is it purely for enjoyment? Is it experience I'm after or do I get more thrills from going quicker?

I think there's more chance of getting frustrated from a poor/middling auto, than a decent manual :D

If you can, I think it's a tremendous idea to try one before you commit to the expense. You might take a huge bath financially if you get and auto and within a few weeks decide you can't live with it :(

I kind of want my cake and want to eat it. :D

My car would be daily driven, that means I can sit in traffic at which point a manual becomes a real pain in the back side, especially the one in outgoing Mustang as it was not a pleasure rowing that box/clutch at low speeds. Seems MY18 has solved this though as the issues reviewers speak of are what I found with mine and now they say those issues are gone. Still in a daily driver and auto is simply easier. So that is reason 1.

Second, unlike many I actually really enjoy using paddle shifters, I find them fun and engaging, but really only the more snappy and responsive ones, having to dial yourself into a delay or a box that won't always down change can become annoying very quick. When I had the A6 in track/S thankfully it always gave me gears, but it was a bit to slow for my liking. If it was a touch faster I'd be quite happy, but not a touch faster by just increase shift pressure as then its just trying to fling you off the road, particular in wet, which is what many tuners seem to do on A6, it also then makes regular driving a bit jarring.

Of course the performance benefit and consistency of an auto is welcomed.

My other car is a Golf R and E46 M3, the R being DSG and the M3 SMG (CSL software) and I thoroughly enjoy both when driving hard and neither system is perfect. The Golf DSG is super quick but not that engaging, shifts are seamless and not instant on paddles, though the shift is instant and launch control is amazing on DSG. The M3 is super responsive on the paddles and really aggressive, though the actual shift speed can sometimes feel delayed or so aggressive like its going to snap the car in half, but its also this aggressiveness that makes it a lot of fun and very engaging on both road and track. Whereas the Golf R on a track would feel quite lifeless, but on the road its a real proper rush, but that might have something to do with the frantic turbo charged 2.0l and the very short gearing. Now hopefully the A10 will have a similar frantic nature in manual mode as its got 7 ratio's compared to the outgoing A6 5 ratio's so in theory it should be ripping through those gears a lot quicker due to shorter ratios of 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, of course the higher compression, extra horses and torque should help make the car more responsive too.

So in short:
1. Easy / lazy city driving.
2. I enjoy a good paddle shift gear box
3. The extra performance it offers.

I am rarely in the mood for a manual these days, every once in a blue moon and truly enjoy ringing a manual out, rev matching myself etc. but most of the time I just find the 3rd pedal and stick an annoyance than pleasure, even in a car with a great manual.

So I think for me the only part of the A10 on trial is the responsiveness and engagement feel of the A10 in manual mode on paddles.

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good answer :D

Although I had S-Tronic in my S3 and the word engaging wouldn't have entered my vocabulary unless prefixed with 'not' as a road car. Maybe the better suspension set up in the R and newer 7 gear box (shorter ratios?) help.

PDK is definitely the best system the system I've tried, with nice to the touch aluminium paddles (I had the Sport steering wheel) and always in the right gear especially in Sport mode.

I don't really rag my Mustang, it's too heavy and big to treat like a hot hatch. If all I wanted was a small-ish car that was unbeatable in any condition under say 80 mph then I'd have what you have, a mapped R.

It's more a GT car for me, enjoyable at all speeds and is more about the experience than something for an all out hoon :) so a slow, sometimes clunky manual is actually all just part of it.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good answer :D

Although I had S-Tronic in my S3 and the word engaging wouldn't have entered my vocabulary unless prefixed with 'not' as a road car. Maybe the better suspension set up in the R and newer 7 gear box (shorter ratios?) help.

PDK is definitely the best system the system I've tried, with nice to the touch aluminium paddles (I had the Sport steering wheel) and always in the right gear especially in Sport mode.

I don't really rag my Mustang, it's too heavy and big to treat like a hot hatch. If all I wanted was a small-ish car that was unbeatable in any condition under say 80 mph then I'd have what you have, a mapped R.

It's more a GT car for me, enjoyable at all speeds and is more about the experience than something for an all out hoon :) so a slow, sometimes clunky manual is actually all just part of it.

To be honest I'd have thought S-Tronic in S3 is same as DSG in the Golf R? Mine is a 6SP Golf R MK7, the 7SP DSG is only on MK7.5 Golf R and it really does not do so much for lower gears, but gives a much needed overdrive gear for cruising as the 6SP sits at 3000rpm at 80mph.

Admittedly since the custom map, DSG map, the car is a lot more fun and I find the Golf is rather playful on the limit within reason, for example a wet roundabout you can drive the car beyond grip limits and still steer and control the car with modulated throttle input, it 4WD drifts beautiful and will take same roundabouts in the wet as quick as my Mustang could in the dry, quite an accomplishment. Of course if you just floor it, the torque and boost will drag the car into understeer and probably result in a crash, but otherwise if you keep it on partial throttle to prevent full boost you can drive it beyond the limit in a cool fun way, of course you have to keep the power in to keep the 4WD system active. If you lift it will become 2WD and as such handle like one, not nice. Drive it in a way where your always in the power in corners and it handles quite nice and be patient with the loud pedal, giving it too much stomp before apex will under steer, but if your patient and wait for the apex or just before it you can foot flat to floor and use the all wheel drive to drag you out like a catapult. Its suspension being soft and compliant makes it the perfect setup for a typical poor UK road, this is only a weakness under heavy braking due to obscene brake dive.

When I drove an RS3 and TT RS this playfulness was not there, the under steer I could not get away from, it was pretty horrific and really spoiled driving the car beyond grip limits, which for me is where 4WD is a lot of fun, you can drive them hard so they are sliding around, with the assurance and safety net of 4WD, the EVO was hugely playful even had a RWD tendency, the Golf is also very playful but that rear end never lets go, unless you flick or brake to un-balance the car, otherwise it remains very composed and neutral leading into mild under steer, but all controllable. I found in the RS3 and TT RS you really had to slow the car down to get it to turn. I've never tried an S3, when I went to test drive Golf R and S3, I sat in the S3 and just did not like the interior.

For me the DSG lets me concentrate on steering and throwing the car around, plus its vastly quicker than its manual counterpart, were not talking 1/2 second here or there, but seconds, in the Golf R the DSG just suits the car much better than the manual and its vastly quicker for it.

Only two cars have beaten me on the road so far and to do so it took getting into triple digits. One was Mac's 800HP beast and the other was a new R8 V10 Spyder, though actually edging in front of the R8 upto 80mph was ammusing, by a lepton it had gained that car length back so we were even, beyond a lepton it was pulling away. That was from a 30mph roll too, if it had being a dig I am confident the Golf would had kept the lead until a lepton as it launches so damn easy in any kind of weather, that makes it great fun on these cold/wet damp roads that I can still use full throttle at will even in 1st gear and put the power down with hardly any wheel slip. The Haldex works great, though having PS4 tyres no doubt helping a lot.

Not going to lie, I love driving the Golf R flat out, it is huge fun and not many cars will live with it, Mustang GT, C63 AMG it just floors them even into crazy speeds. The problem is at normal speeds its just a Golf and I've washed it I think twice since owning it, so though its fun, I don't really love it as to me its nothing particular interesting to look at, yes its a nice car in a really nice colour, but well its just a Golf aint it and it sounds simply JUNK.

If I did not love my M3 so much, I'd sell the M3, keep the Golf as the Golf is a far better sensible car to keep with new Mustang, as two different platforms, whereas M3 and Mustang are quite similar, front engine, rear wheel drive etc. Though saying that the M3 is also incredible in the wet too handling wise, not great from a dig but once moving the grip it has in the wet is pretty amazing, unlike the Mustang which to be frank was just useless even with MPSS and coilovers, stock it was damn right frightening, haha, but I am talking from a driving fast/hard perspective which I still enjoy doing in the wet.

Last edited:

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
New Top Gear review on the 2018.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ford/50-v8-gt-2dr/first-drive-

I really hope the price they are quoting is right..... ÂŁ39040 would be an awesome price before adding the custom pack and magneride. :headbang:
After reading the top gear article I was looking for rev match possibilities and.....
“So ford looked @ rev match in the manual but decided not to include it.” WHY ?
After driving with it for the past couple of years ford missed the boat on this one. They hit all the right bottons but didn’t check off that one. GM has had it for the past 5 years. The 10 speed was a joint effort thanks GM and also for the magneride.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Why did Ford not include rev matching? Ridiculous

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
I guess worldwide success with the Mustang must mean a future RHD Camaro and Challenger at some point so hopefully we will be spoilt for choice with muscle cars down the line which can only be a good thing

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
After reading the top gear article I was looking for rev match possibilities and.....
“So ford looked @ rev match in the manual but decided not to include it.” WHY ?
After driving with it for the past couple of years ford missed the boat on this one. They hit all the right bottons but didn’t check off that one. GM has had it for the past 5 years. The 10 speed was a joint effort thanks GM and also for the magneride.

The new 10 speed auto gearbox DOES have rev matching on downshifts, including, (I believe) pretty loud noisy throttle blips when in track mode.

One of the videos posted shows the rev matching on downshifts, can't at moment remember which video though.

The six speed manual gearbox does not have auto rev matching, but then why would it ?

It's the drivers job to rev match (if that's what you want to do) good old heel and toe etc. driver involvement, is what the manual is all about.

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes if it's a 6 speed R you have, I'd have had the same box in the S3.

Supposedly there's a significant difference in how VW have set up the R, compared to the S3 in terms of ride and suspension.

The S3 was very quick, however it had a really bad tendency to pogo on poorly surfaced roads and didn't inspire any confidence at all at when trying to drive at 9/10 on B-roads. Worst of both worlds for me, too soft with a fair amount of lean yet crashy over bumpy roads. If I'd driven the same road in my STi, it was almost like it had been resurfaced. Around town the S3 was so docile and quiet I may as well have been in the 1.6 TDi :crazy:

I swapped it for a 987.2 Boxster S, which the S3 would have just driven away from on a straight road unless you were red lining the Porsche. However take a couple of corners and it was so clear which one is the mid engined sports car, and which one was the hatch with stiffer springs and a boosted engine.

I agree that the R/S3 is for the majority of time, a faster, safer, and easier car to punt along at high speeds. My buddy has a Revo stage 2 S3 hatch (S-tronic) and he loves it. They do, as you say though, sound junk.

We all derive pleasure from driving in different ways. Yours seems to be full out attack, speed and ballistic acceleration :D

I had a wee potter across town at lunchtime, tried to pull out of a junction quickly (van driver gave me a thumbs up and let me out :cool:), I had the car in Sport + and a little too much throttle had the rears spinning up and I gracefully arced across the road laughing my arse off at the poor traction from the P-zeros and ridiculously slow speed it happened at. Probably looked a) cool as f**k b) meant and all the time I was listening to lovely v8 tunes ;)

I wouldn't put much money on me keeping the pony car on the road, if it was wet and I was on a full out hoon, especially with the Pirellis. So, I slow down, enjoy the noise, throttle response, and playfulness at speeds the S3 (or R) would quite frankly laugh at.

I suppose to get the thread back on some sort of track, I can't see the adaptive suspension and the GT350-ish set up making the Mustang come close to what an R can do on wet streaming roads. Closer than a 15-17 maybe, but I still think it's more GT than sports car :thumbsup:

To be honest I'd have thought S-Tronic in S3 is same as DSG in the Golf R? Mine is a 6SP Golf R MK7, the 7SP DSG is only on MK7.5 Golf R and it really does not do so much for lower gears, but gives a much needed overdrive gear for cruising as the 6SP sits at 3000rpm at 80mph.

Admittedly since the custom map, DSG map, the car is a lot more fun and I find the Golf is rather playful on the limit within reason, for example a wet roundabout you can drive the car beyond grip limits and still steer and control the car with modulated throttle input, it 4WD drifts beautiful and will take same roundabouts in the wet as quick as my Mustang could in the dry, quite an accomplishment. Of course if you just floor it, the torque and boost will drag the car into understeer and probably result in a crash, but otherwise if you keep it on partial throttle to prevent full boost you can drive it beyond the limit in a cool fun way, of course you have to keep the power in to keep the 4WD system active. If you lift it will become 2WD and as such handle like one, not nice. Drive it in a way where your always in the power in corners and it handles quite nice and be patient with the loud pedal, giving it too much stomp before apex will under steer, but if your patient and wait for the apex or just before it you can foot flat to floor and use the all wheel drive to drag you out like a catapult. Its suspension being soft and compliant makes it the perfect setup for a typical poor UK road, this is only a weakness under heavy braking due to obscene brake dive.

When I drove an RS3 and TT RS this playfulness was not there, the under steer I could not get away from, it was pretty horrific and really spoiled driving the car beyond grip limits, which for me is where 4WD is a lot of fun, you can drive them hard so they are sliding around, with the assurance and safety net of 4WD, the EVO was hugely playful even had a RWD tendency, the Golf is also very playful but that rear end never lets go, unless you flick or brake to un-balance the car, otherwise it remains very composed and neutral leading into mild under steer, but all controllable. I found in the RS3 and TT RS you really had to slow the car down to get it to turn. I've never tried an S3, when I went to test drive Golf R and S3, I sat in the S3 and just did not like the interior.

For me the DSG lets me concentrate on steering and throwing the car around, plus its vastly quicker than its manual counterpart, were not talking 1/2 second here or there, but seconds, in the Golf R the DSG just suits the car much better than the manual and its vastly quicker for it.

Only two cars have beaten me on the road so far and to do so it took getting into triple digits. One was Mac's 800HP beast and the other was a new R8 V10 Spyder, though actually edging in front of the R8 upto 80mph was ammusing, by a lepton it had gained that car length back so we were even, beyond a lepton it was pulling away. That was from a 30mph roll too, if it had being a dig I am confident the Golf would had kept the lead until a lepton as it launches so damn easy in any kind of weather, that makes it great fun on these cold/wet damp roads that I can still use full throttle at will even in 1st gear and put the power down with hardly any wheel slip. The Haldex works great, though having PS4 tyres no doubt helping a lot.

Not going to lie, I love driving the Golf R flat out, it is huge fun and not many cars will live with it, Mustang GT, C63 AMG it just floors them even into crazy speeds. The problem is at normal speeds its just a Golf and I've washed it I think twice since owning it, so though its fun, I don't really love it as to me its nothing particular interesting to look at, yes its a nice car in a really nice colour, but well its just a Golf aint it and it sounds simply JUNK.

If I did not love my M3 so much, I'd sell the M3, keep the Golf as the Golf is a far better sensible car to keep with new Mustang, as two different platforms, whereas M3 and Mustang are quite similar, front engine, rear wheel drive etc. Though saying that the M3 is also incredible in the wet too handling wise, not great from a dig but once moving the grip it has in the wet is pretty amazing, unlike the Mustang which to be frank was just useless even with MPSS and coilovers, stock it was damn right frightening, haha, but I am talking from a driving fast/hard perspective which I still enjoy doing in the wet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The new 10 speed auto gearbox DOES have rev matching on downshifts, including, (I believe) pretty loud noisy throttle blips when in track mode.

One of the videos posted shows the rev matching on downshifts, can't at moment remember which video though.

The six speed manual gearbox does not have auto rev matching, but then why would it ?

It's the drivers job to rev match (if that's what you want to do) good old heel and toe etc. driver involvement, is what the manual is all about.

Very true but it is also about giving the driver options, not every driver can heel and toe, but would still enjoy blips on down changes. Many car manufacturers have introduced this as an option for those people who greatly enjoy it.

There is no reason why Ford cannot do this, they could simply incorporate it into one of the driving modes or add a on/off button next to the gear stick.

Not exactly hard and then those wanting to see this function can be happy and of course the driving gods like yourself can leave it switched off or put the car in track mode where you have to do it yourself. :)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes if it's a 6 speed R you have, I'd have had the same box in the S3.

Supposedly there's a significant difference in how VW have set up the R, compared to the S3 in terms of ride and suspension.

The S3 was very quick, however it had a really bad tendency to pogo on poorly surfaced roads and didn't inspire any confidence at all at when trying to drive at 9/10 on B-roads. Worst of both worlds for me, too soft with a fair amount of lean yet crashy over bumpy roads. If I'd driven the same road in my STi, it was almost like it had been resurfaced. Around town the S3 was so docile and quiet I may as well have been in the 1.6 TDi :crazy:

I swapped it for a 987.2 Boxster S, which the S3 would have just driven away from on a straight road unless you were red lining the Porsche. However take a couple of corners and it was so clear which one is the mid engined sports car, and which one was the hatch with stiffer springs and a boosted engine.

I agree that the R/S3 is for the majority of time, a faster, safer, and easier car to punt along at high speeds. My buddy has a Revo stage 2 S3 hatch (S-tronic) and he loves it. They do, as you say though, sound junk.

We all derive pleasure from driving in different ways. Yours seems to be full out attack, speed and ballistic acceleration :D

I had a wee potter across town at lunchtime, tried to pull out of a junction quickly (van driver gave me a thumbs up and let me out :cool:), I had the car in Sport + and a little too much throttle had the rears spinning up and I gracefully arced across the road laughing my arse off at the poor traction from the P-zeros and ridiculously slow speed it happened at. Probably looked a) cool as f**k b) meant and all the time I was listening to lovely v8 tunes ;)

I wouldn't put much money on me keeping the pony car on the road, if it was wet and I was on a full out hoon, especially with the Pirellis. So, I slow down, enjoy the noise, throttle response, and playfulness at speeds the S3 (or R) would quite frankly laugh at.

I suppose to get the thread back on some sort of track, I can't see the adaptive suspension and the GT350-ish set up making the Mustang come close to what an R can do on wet streaming roads. Closer than a 15-17 maybe, but I still think it's more GT than sports car :thumbsup:

Agreed, the R in comparison glides over poor roads and is quite inspiring to drive it flat out in the dry, in the wet you have to be careful to not bring on too much boost.

I think the MY18 with mag ride and PS4's on wet mode setting will be a huge leap on from MY15/MPSS/Coilovers on the basis that in wet mode Ford have the mag ride setup to be soft and with the TC set to allow no slip angle on ABS module with a little moderate slip control. In theory it will make it better which any driver should be able to detect. Of course its not going to keep up with an AWD hatch but should be a lot more planted than the current car resulting still in the same great low speed fun, but with some added ability too.

The reviewers seem to absolutely raving over the new car with mag ride saying the chassis feels transformed compared to out going model. They are even saying the base cars seem to handle better than previous PP cars, though Ford have said now base cars use the outgoing PP monotube dampers on base models now, so in short a base car is pretty much like the outgoing PP car, with the advantage of no rear-end float, which also leads to the rumour that Ford have changed the bushes in the rear as a couple of reviews I've read mentioned how the rear float no longer seems an issue.

The reviews are mag ride seem hugely promising, they say the car is no longer upset by breaks and undulations in the road and its amazingly compliant even in the track mode settings. Also I have learned the following on mag ride:

- Mag ride DSSV dampers weigh less than the PP monotubes
- Mag ride equipped cars have GT 350 rear lower arms
- Mag ride equipped cars have GT 350 rear counter wound springs
- Mag ride cars have bigger / stronger front knuckles and longer studs, unknown if 350 or a new design yet.
- Mag ride cars have different swaybars, again unknown if they are the 350 items
- Mag ride cars have larger wheel bearings and other changes to hubs etc.

The above is what we know so far, there could be more but in short optioning magnetic ride should be one of the absolutely most important options on the MY18, simply because by doing so your essentially getting everything what made the GT 350 such a great handling car out the box.

The chances are MY18 with its superior PS4s tyres, slightly thinner tyres and other uprated/improved chassis items should make it a sweeter road handling car compared to a GT 350 and on track it should be nearly as good as the 350 (not R) in the corners and probably just as quick over a lap if equipped with an A10.

In short I think the most important option on the MY18 is magnetic ride above and beyond all.

Here is something for you, an MY18 EB PP with mag ride, forged wheels could be the ultimate handling Mustang ever made, as this car is naturally around 70kg lighter than a GT with all that weight of the nose. Also the new PP EB wheels are a thing of beauty and the fact the EB has the front matt grill if anything an EB PP mag car on forged wheels in lightning blue or race red is the best factory looking Mustang since GT 350. :)

What you lack in sound, you could make up for with a few thousand thrown at forging the engine where needed, breathing mods, bigger turbo etc. to bring it upto V8 performance levels in a straight line and build the ultimate street handling Mustang. For those that find pleasure in that, for me its a stupid idea, I'd buy the V8 every time. :D

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

Many cars have rev matching on stick shift, it can be turned on/off depending on if driver wants to heel/toe

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I kind of want my cake and want to eat it. :D

My car would be daily driven, that means I can sit in traffic at which point a manual becomes a real pain in the back side, especially the one in outgoing Mustang as it was not a pleasure rowing that box/clutch at low speeds. Seems MY18 has solved this though as the issues reviewers speak of are what I found with mine and now they say those issues are gone. Still in a daily driver and auto is simply easier. So that is reason 1.

Second, unlike many I actually really enjoy using paddle shifters, I find them fun and engaging, but really only the more snappy and responsive ones, having to dial yourself into a delay or a box that won't always down change can become annoying very quick. When I had the A6 in track/S thankfully it always gave me gears, but it was a bit to slow for my liking. If it was a touch faster I'd be quite happy, but not a touch faster by just increase shift pressure as then its just trying to fling you off the road, particular in wet, which is what many tuners seem to do on A6, it also then makes regular driving a bit jarring.

Of course the performance benefit and consistency of an auto is welcomed.

My other car is a Golf R and E46 M3, the R being DSG and the M3 SMG (CSL software) and I thoroughly enjoy both when driving hard and neither system is perfect. The Golf DSG is super quick but not that engaging, shifts are seamless and not instant on paddles, though the shift is instant and launch control is amazing on DSG. The M3 is super responsive on the paddles and really aggressive, though the actual shift speed can sometimes feel delayed or so aggressive like its going to snap the car in half, but its also this aggressiveness that makes it a lot of fun and very engaging on both road and track. Whereas the Golf R on a track would feel quite lifeless, but on the road its a real proper rush, but that might have something to do with the frantic turbo charged 2.0l and the very short gearing. Now hopefully the A10 will have a similar frantic nature in manual mode as its got 7 ratio's compared to the outgoing A6 5 ratio's so in theory it should be ripping through those gears a lot quicker due to shorter ratios of 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, of course the higher compression, extra horses and torque should help make the car more responsive too.

So in short:
1. Easy / lazy city driving.
2. I enjoy a good paddle shift gear box
3. The extra performance it offers.

I am rarely in the mood for a manual these days, every once in a blue moon and truly enjoy ringing a manual out, rev matching myself etc. but most of the time I just find the 3rd pedal and stick an annoyance than pleasure, even in a car with a great manual.

So I think for me the only part of the A10 on trial is the responsiveness and engagement feel of the A10 in manual mode on paddles.

I think you are putting too much into these people's reviews, of how they felt the A10 performed, & it's engagement. Not every one of these reviewer had their Mustang in the same mode (ie: each reviewer have a different opinion). Or perhaps, you have not seen what each mode does, or can do to the responsiveness of the A10 ..?

Also, have you read any of the technical papers, on the A10..? And it's actual shift times..? This new A10 is far superior to anything VAG or BMW was using just a few short years ago. So, I don't think you will find any technical difficulties/shortcomings with the new A10 in the Mustang.

The only the question is, if you can give up a 6-speed manual...?

Ironically, that^ is basically the only decision I am left on the fence to make. Is what transmission does my 48 year old manchild need/want ..? I've owned nothing but 6-manuals for 32 years. I am buying this one for keeps, it is replacing my bmw, as a daily & track horse on weekends.

Normally, I wouldn't even waiver and opt for the 6-manual, but I am also recovering from a broken back.

I would like to see more people's impression of their experience with the new A10, but the ultimate decision will be testing it more, myself.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
So the reviews so far for the '18 MagRide PP are exactly what I was expecting them to be: amazing.
Sponsored