Sponsored

My Eco Test Drive

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Rochester, NY..68 deg, overcast and raining.

Dealer stock: 2015 Eco Boost Mustang. Premium Package, Auto., Red, Black interior

My Order; Eco, PP, Auto, DIB, Ceramic Interior

Unknown...what octane gas was in the car.

Walking up to the car...it looks mean and beautiful. The back end squat looks like it's ready to pounce. the lines are smooth and aggressive. I think Ford designers really hit a homerun here.

Remote start..Don't know why that has to be standard..silly to me.

This car is very quiet, way to quiet. It truly needs Cat or Axle back enhancement. At 65, I've had my share and been around some awesome power cars....I was hoping for a little more deep growl.

At 5'8", 155lbs..this car fits me like a glove. The seat position, steering wheel..which btw is the perfect size, shifter and all dials and widgets...ergonomically perfect. The gauges and controls are very easy to learn after a few moments. The seats are very comfortable and feel very supportive all over. Also very adjustable. My wife loved the power adjustable seats on the passenger side and that silly ( I think)l pony projection on the ground.
The car starts smoothly and softly. I like the up touch signal lights. The outside mirrors are small and have the little fish eye mirror to help with blind spots. I guess if you pass your drivers license eye test....you're good to go here. Visibility out the front and rear windows is excellent.

I set the mode to sport...figured the track mode with the wet weather might be a little risky with the wet roads. Rolled up to 1500 RPMS and punched it.
There was a pause until it reached about 3000 RPMS or maybe the turbo kicked in but it pulled hard till about 5500 RPMS, then...notta...gone.
BUT that's ok...the car has torque enough to put me back in my seat. I know aftermarket upgrades can certainly help through out the power range.
I then tried the paddle shifters...it upshifts quickly and precisely...better than any other vehicle I've tried. I like the rev match on the down shift..sounds good...louder would be better for me at least. When shifting using the paddle shifters, you really notice the low RPM power band is getting you to something much sweeter. However the upper RPM range...shifting above 5500 RPM is just noise...there's no more pulling. I think the thing is to know and appreciate the power band and how to best use it. I was able to take a few tight turns using the braking engine and throttle to get through the turns and here's where this baby shines....wow...on rails and it wasn't even the performance package. FUN FUN FUN. What a perfect everyday driver.
I expect lots of fun in the future with this car...
I've got some stripes ordered, awaiting to see availablity of the Ford Racing Borla axle backs and considering the Bamma Combo for improved performance. This car will be an eye turner no doubt.

G
Sponsored

volsfan0911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI

Dealer stock: 2015 Eco Boost Mustang. Premium Package, Auto., Red, Black interior

Walking up to the car...it looks mean and beautiful. The back end squat looks like it's ready to pounce. the lines are smooth and aggressive. I think Ford designers really hit a homerun here.

This car is very quiet, way to quiet. It truly needs Cat or Axle back enhancement. At 65, I've had my share and been around some awesome power cars....I was hoping for a little more deep growl.

At 5'8", 155lbs..this car fits me like a glove. The seat position, steering wheel..which btw is the perfect size, shifter and all dials and widgets...ergonomically perfect. The gauges and controls are very easy to learn after a few moments. The seats are very comfortable and feel very supportive all over. Also very adjustable. My wife loved the power adjustable seats on the passenger side and that silly ( I think)l pony projection on the ground.
The car starts smoothly and softly. I like the up touch signal lights. The outside mirrors are small and have the little fish eye mirror to help with blind spots. I guess if you pass your drivers license eye test....you're good to go here. Visibility out the front and rear windows is excellent.

I set the mode to sport...figured the track mode with the wet weather might be a little risky with the wet roads. Rolled up to 1500 RPMS and punched it.
There was a pause until it reached about 3000 RPMS or maybe the turbo kicked in but it pulled hard till about 5500 RPMS, then...notta...gone.
BUT that's ok...the car has torque enough to put me back in my seat. I know aftermarket upgrades can certainly help through out the power range.
I then tried the paddle shifters...it upshifts quickly and precisely...better than any other vehicle I've tried. I like the rev match on the down shift..sounds good...louder would be better for me at least. When shifting using the paddle shifters, you really notice the low RPM power band is getting you to something much sweeter. However the upper RPM range...shifting above 5500 RPM is just noise...there's no more pulling. I think the thing is to know and appreciate the power band and how to best use it. I was able to take a few tight turns using the braking engine and throttle to get through the turns and here's where this baby shines....wow...on rails and it wasn't even the performance package. FUN FUN FUN. What a perfect everyday driver.
I've got some stripes ordered, awaiting to see availablity of the Ford Racing Borla axle backs and considering the Bamma Combo for improved performance. This car will be an eye turner no doubt.

G
Gary - thanks for the writeup. I just got back from the "Bucket List" event in Annapolis. It was extremely lame but I did get to drive an EB around the Mall at least (no mini auto-X, etc) and I'm cautiously impressed as well. The EB/slushbox combo has a ton of torque and definitely makes for effortless daily driving duties. Interior is a gazillion times better than any previous 'Stang (I really liked the non-Recaros). The exhaust was totally wimpy but hey, that's what the aftermarket is for :) I could live with it on a daily driver basis with no issue (undoubtedly exactly as Ford planned out). For my money though? I want the 5.0, PP and a manual box please. :D

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Gary - thanks for the writeup. I just got back from the "Bucket List" event in Annapolis. It was extremely lame but I did get to drive an EB around the Mall at least (no mini auto-X, etc) and I'm cautiously impressed as well. The EB/slushbox combo has a ton of torque and definitely makes for effortless daily driving duties. Interior is a gazillion times better than any previous 'Stang (I really liked the non-Recaros). The exhaust was totally wimpy but hey, that's what the aftermarket is for :) I could live with it on a daily driver basis with no issue (undoubtedly exactly as Ford planned out). For my money though? I want the 5.0, PP and a manual box please. :D
What, driving a 4-banger around a mall parking lot isn't on your bucket list!?! lol ;)

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I suspect it falls flat at 5500rpm due to turbo running out of steam. If so, aftermarket probably won't help much(aside from putting on a bigger turbo). We should see shortly, I guess.

Sponsored

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
Does the remote start come in a particular package? I could of sworn I did not see anything when building it online. It's definitely something I want.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Does the remote start come in a particular package? I could of sworn I did not see anything when building it online. It's definitely something I want.
You get an auto, you get remote start.

OP
OP

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Going Eco vs GT was the struggle...still..I'm thinking I'm good with my choice.
Just ordered my Ford Racing Axle back from JDM...Nick was great to work with, very helpful...answered all my questions..look forward to installing.

Ha..>Sal JC...if i were driving the vehicle during the winter...ya for sure..nice touch with the remote. For me...just added weight I could have done without.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
I suspect it falls flat at 5500rpm due to turbo running out of steam. If so, aftermarket probably won't help much(aside from putting on a bigger turbo). We should see shortly, I guess.
There are already tunes (yes, just a tune) on this board for the EB that basically eliminate the drop-off after 5500.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport

G
Went to the event in Annapolis today. I got to drive it also, but I came away wanting the V6 (which showed up out of the blue from a 3rd party) or GT. The EB was very very very nice, but I'll be going V6 or GT.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Excellent! I assume this is activated by clicking the open button two times or something like that? What's the range?
On wife's edge you click lock and then 'start' two times. I'm sure it is same on mustang.

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
Went to the event in Annapolis today. I got to drive it also, but I came away wanting the V6 (which showed up out of the blue from a 3rd party) or GT. The EB was very very very nice, but I'll be going V6 or GT.
So youre between the lowest model and the gt? I would think people are comparing the V6 or EB or EB to GT.....Not really much of a comparison between a GT and a v6.....

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
On wife's edge you click lock and then 'start' two times. I'm sure it is same on mustang.
Yep, only annoying thing about this is that it doesn't always max the A/C if it's hot, and it doesn't remember what your seat setting was (hot/cold). Better than nothing, but a show-off feature for sure.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha..>Sal JC...if i were driving the vehicle during the winter...ya for sure..nice touch with the remote. For me...just added weight I could have done without.
I definitely need it..

and if there’s one thing I despise it’s extra weight, I won’t even put 19's on my car, but in this case it uses only existing components/electronics, no extra weigh at all. The remote, SJB, and starter are already there anyway.
Sponsored