Sponsored

My Dearborn Mustang Reveal Event Trip Report

StangFX

There was no reason given, but looking at the "double bubble" design of the roof, I imagine trying to design and engineer that type of glass shape was not deemed cost effective.
Makes sense. I always forget about the double bubble roof, it's nice and subtle.

Also noticed this...

the reveal of the 2015 Mustang was done much earlier ahead of product availability because of a marketing decision – this was to extend the “buzz” and leverage social media on the Internet to enroll more people, particularly new customers to Mustang, to tell their stories for a longer period of time
Someone should tell Ford those "stories" aren't doing much for anyone. I certainly am not complaining that we finally got to see the S550 but they need to change up the marketing campaign.... that Sienna Miller commercial is a pretty good start :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Someone should tell Ford those "stories" aren't doing much for anyone. I certainly am not complaining that we finally got to see the S550 but they need to change up the marketing campaign.... that Sienna Miller commercial is a pretty good start :)
Haha!

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Tony did you get a look at the key/remote? It's a small detail and even less important now with the keyless ignition but I'm curious because I haven't owned a recent Ford product.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tony did you get a look at the key/remote? It's a small detail and even less important now with the keyless ignition but I'm curious because I haven't owned a recent Ford product.
There was no key for this car that was available. Interestingly enough, the car was a design studio model, meaning it did not even run! No engine!!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
One thing I noticed about the renders on this site, was how the rear haunches were much flatter than what has been shown on the hardtop.

Seeing the convertible, it looks like the renders were using some aspects of the convertible rear end, especially that cut line above the rear wheel.

Both versions (and the renders) have been great looking, and I think Ford did a wonderful job in making changes to the details but keeping the overall shape distinctly Mustang. I realize that many were looking for a more radical change, but for me (someone who has never owned a Mustang) the clear links back to earlier versions is a big part of what draws me to the car. IMO, if you are going to completely change the look of a car, you need to ask if it deserves to continue with the same name. I feel that GM has done similarly well with the C7 (different details, but overall shape is very similar to c6 and c5) and of course Porsche with the 911 has followed that recipe for ages as well.

Very excited to see how this new Mustang drives.

-T

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both versions (and the renders) have been great looking, and I think Ford did a wonderful job in making changes to the details but keeping the overall shape distinctly Mustang. I realize that many were looking for a more radical change, but for me (someone who has never owned a Mustang) the clear links back to earlier versions is a big part of what draws me to the car. IMO, if you are going to completely change the look of a car, you need to ask if it deserves to continue with the same name. I feel that GM has done similarly well with the C7 (different details, but overall shape is very similar to c6 and c5) and of course Porsche with the 911 has followed that recipe for ages as well.

Very excited to see how this new Mustang drives.

-T
I agree on all points!

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Put it on the Bucket List

Yes, when the order banks open, I will order. Disappointed though that the glass roof option will not be offered in the fastback - that's a unique feature not matched by Camaro or Challenger, but my guess is it didn't sell as well as Ford hoped to in the 11-14 models. The other question is, when we will we see the SVT variations (GT350/500, Mach 1, Boss 302, Bullitt, etc.)? They will probably put these cars on the show circuit on rotating pedestals until production commences, so the only thing we're going to be able to do is take photos with the pretty models standing next to the car!

Really like the two-tone leather seating, but hope heated/cooled/power seats will extend to the Recaro seats and not just the factory seats. Do we know if the tilt/telescoping steering wheel is manual or has a power assist?

I'm PUMPED :amen:

Johnster

Threads
Reaction score
I was curious about this comment from Tony's report:
Quote:
the style of the convertible top was designed to flow with the different rear quarter panel sheet metal it has vs. the fastback

Here are two pictures to compare the vert quarter panel with the coupe. Note that I had to use a coupe picture going in the other direction to get close to the same viewing angle, then flipped the coupe picture horizontally.

image.jpg

DSC00135_resize.jpg

Obviously the trunk lid is very different as well as the top of the haunches to line up with the new trunk and roof, but that doesn't seem like a 'different roof to flow with the metal'. It seems the other way round.
Also, is it just lighting, or does the quarter panel look wider in front of the wheel?
Anyone have a better eye than I on what else is different?
It looks to me like the rear fender peak curves down slightly at the front on the coupe, giving it that classic Mustang "kick-up" look. The convertible looks like it is completely straight (unfortunately IMO). The vert still looks great, tho.

toysbyus

Threads
Reaction score
No glass roof AND no sunroof option???? I know that the double bubble roof is tough to adapt to either of these BUT this now will give my wife the upper hand in choice.....which means it's a convertible, damn it.

I wanted the fastback.....or 2+2..... or whatever they plan to call the enclosed version.

Sigh..........I guess we'll have to suffer with the droptop!

Steve

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Is it the lighting, or is that a competition orange mustang they're showing? Can't tell if its race red in a weird light or if its the orange.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it the lighting, or is that a competition orange mustang they're showing? Can't tell if its race red in a weird light or if its the orange.
It is race red. One of the photos looks orange, but it's the lighting and the camera operator responsible for that.

J. Dub

I heart newbz
Threads
Reaction score
Wow... No glass roof option? Guess I'm off these boards now. That was the only reason I was going to purchase the stang.
Guess I'll wait for a used C7 with glass roof.
*sigh*

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Wow... No glass roof option? Guess I'm off these boards now. That was the only reason I was going to purchase the stang.
Guess I'll wait for a used C7 with glass roof.
*sigh*
Ya, we got your point. You don't have to post it in every thread...
Sponsored