My 2015 Mustang GT experience

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have been in contact with my local Ford dealer (Auto nation Ford in Torrance, CA). Last week they called me to let me know that they are going to have the demo/training vehicle at their dealership if I wanted to come by and take a look.

I ended up taking a longer than normal lunch break and headed over to the dealership. My first impression was WOW. I loved the look of the car. I actually didn't mind the yellow color all that much. The lines on the car looked good but the interior was even better. Having owned a 2002 Mustang GT I was shocked by the improvements Ford made on the interior. I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to test drive the vehicle but I could understand since it was the demo/training vehicle. Anyways the dealership told me they had a few on the way in the next couple of weeks so they will keep in contact with me.

Yesterday I was out running errands which brought me by the same Ford dealership. To my surprise in the front of the lot they had a Black 2015 Mustang GT with the 50th anniversary package. Basically all the options I wanted. As I was walking over to the car the salesman I have been dealing with recognized me and said we got it in earlier this week go check it out, but I'm dealing with some other people right now. I thought to myself ok well why didn't you call me earlier this week. After looking at the exterior of the car and drooling over how beautiful it looks especially in Black another salesman approached me asked if I had any questions. I asked if he can please unlock the vehicle, which he did after 15 minutes. Now I'm in the car getting more excited. Again, totally impressed over the interior. I asked the salesman if we can take it for a test drive. I was shocked to here his answer. He told me NO. I asked why. He's reply was its a Mustang, the new Mustang you know its going to handle well. At first I thought he was joking but then he proceeded to tell me that there is a $5,000.00 mark up on the vehicle so that's another reason why you can't drive it. I asked him how many people would spend $47,500.00 on a car and not drive it before. He said well the employees aren't even able to drive it. I said well that makes sense to me because if they are in the market to purchase a car why put miles on the vehicle. He ok fine I will ask the sales manager if you can drive it since you are making a big deal about it. I got out of the Mustang and started walking to my car. He asked where I was going. I said this dealership just lost my business, I will look elsewhere. $5,000.00 mark up, have to beg for a test drive not worth it.

Hour after my experience I receive a phone call from the dealership. It was from the original salesman I was dealing with. He asked if I would like to come back and take a test drive on the car. I told him no. I told him I have been in the market for a while looking for a new car. I have it narrowed down to 3 cars. Audi S3, Cadillac ATS coupe, and the Mustang. Just on shopping experience the Audi, and Cadillac dealerships hands down are the best. They were pulling cars off the showroom floor for me. Look and style I love the Mustang but since this was going to be my daily driver, I wanted to feel the ride quality of the vehicle but that seemed like to much to ask for at your dealership. I told him I'm already in contact with another Ford dealer.

Anyone else have a similar experience? 5,000.00 mark up, no test drive?

Here is a follow up to my first post.

I finally was able to drive a 2015 Mustang. The one I drove had its pros and cons. Before heading to Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park, CA I was speaking with Chris in the fleet department. He informed me that he had 2 of the exact car I was looking for (they were just unloaded). I told him great but before I head over there (since it is an hour drive from my work) will you sell the car at Xplan pricing because I have a valid Xplan pin. Chris's response was, oh that's going to be hard I'm not sure. I said well I'm in no hurry if you can great if not don't worry I can always wait for someone else that can. Chris calls me back 20 minutes later. He says, Jason how soon can you make it to my dealership. I said well if I leave work early I can be there by 4pm, why? Chris says I want to sell you that car, my GM just left so I will sell it to you at the Xplan price and deal with him tomorrow so we need to do the deal today. I said ok I'm on my way.

I arrive at the dealership and meet Chris in person. He seemed like a very nice guy. He takes me out to the Mustang which he had waiting. I was like damn it looks good. He goes over everything on the car in and out. Finally the moment comes he asked me if I would like to take it for a test drive. I said I would love too. Starting it up and hearing the sound of the engine I was shocked. I miss that deep V8 sound. But I wanted to feel the ride comfort of the car. Now this Mustang had the 20" wheels on it and the ride was a little harsh. Not sure if that was because of the 20" wheel/tire combo. But at that point how can you say no. So we pull back into the dealership and he asked what I thought and I said well the ride was a little harsh. Can we try one with the stock 18" rims or the smaller 19" rims. He said no problem I will get the keys.

Up to this point everything was going great. BUT...... here is where it goes downhill. Chris comes out with the keys for the second Mustang as we get in to the other Mustang he informs me that he wont be able to give me the Xplan pricing on any of the new Mustangs he has in stock. I said wait why? You told me you could before I drove all the way out here. Chris told me that the guy running the desk while the GM was out wont sign off on the deal. He wants full MSRP for the Mustangs. I laughed, (I was thinking to myself strike 2, ford dealers). Chris said I hope you don't think I wasted your time. I said its funny how stories change. Chris said well I can order you one and offer you the Xplan pricing. A little annoyed at this point I said, well you changed your mind in an hour why should I believe you will keep your promise in 4-6 weeks if I order the car from you. Chris said really it wasn't my fault and I know I can order you one and get you that pricing. I told him thank you, you have given me a lot to think about and regarding a special order and I will call you if I want to go that route. I left the dealership disappointed.

So in the end I got to test drive 2 Mustangs one with 20" and the second with 18". I felt the ride quality with the 18" wheels was a lot better compared to the 20" wheels. I left annoyed not sure if it was with Ken Grody, or Chris or who/how ever the deal fell apart regarding not accepting Xplan when Chris said he would.

As of right now I'm just going to wait for South Bay Ford to contact me when they receive their Mustangs. I'm over driving around and playing games. If you say you are going to honor something then honor it!!!!

One question if I do decide to order a Mustang does it make a difference if you order it from a high volume dealer or a smaller dealership? Regarding how long it will take to receive?
Sponsored

mlor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135i
I can understand not letting somebody test drive a vehicle because it might be the only one they have, or a special unit, etc. But if your reason for why I can't test drive something is "because you know it's going to be good", I'm going to laugh in your face.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Try Ford of Montebello. Ask for Rigo. They accept XPLAN but tell him if he can do better than XPLAN and he probably can.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Happens all of the time...I wanted an STI a while back before I had the chance to drive my friends. I literally couldnt find a dealership that would let me test drive one.

Their theory is that its a performance car and no one will want to pay for a performance car that has had a bunch of test drives on it. Everyone knows that performance cars get beat on during test drives and there is no way the test drives will comply with break in procedures from the manufacturer.

Im like you..No test drive = no business. I dont buy a $40 pair of jeans that I cant try on MUCH less a 40k car. These dealerships need to up their game regarding the customer experience. I've had experiences at Audi, BMW, Cadillac and even at some Chevy dealerships and they can really make the experience amazing...if they care to.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Happens all of the time...I wanted an STI a while back before I had the chance to drive my friends. I literally couldnt find a dealership that would let me test drive one.

Their theory is that its a performance car and no one will want to pay for a performance car that has had a bunch of test drives on it. Everyone knows that performance cars get beat on during test drives and there is no way the test drives will comply with break in procedures from the manufacturer.

Im like you..No test drive = no business. I dont buy a $40 pair of jeans that I cant try on MUCH less a 40k car.
Which is why every Ford dealership should be allotted a test drive beater Mustang so that they, and the buyer, don't have to worry about this problem.

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Which is why every Ford dealership should be allotted a test drive beater Mustang so that they, and the buyer, don't have to worry about this problem.
100% agree! Sell it as a used demo model for a reduction but let the customer drive the car.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
hell yea I try on a $10 dollar shirt before I buy it.

They are major D bags, and the reason they left you hanging for 15 minutes is because they wanted to dick you around and watch you get hyped.

morons. glad you gave them the finger

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
That sucks !
I would find another dealer before you give up. By the way I have a new S3 and it's alot of fun but it's not a Mustang.

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang kona blue v6
Lexus did this to me when I wanted to test drive the is 350...every Chevy and Ford I went to asked me if I wanted to test drive right away. Heck even Infiniti threw me in their g37 s coupe....I narrowed it down to g37s v 3.7 mustang and I saved a lot of money with the mustang.

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I bet if you were interested in a $50,000 F250, they would have let you test drive that. There is no reason to not let you test drive one. You have insurance. The dealer has insurance. You like the car, you will fall in love with the car after a test drive.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Wait two more weeks, when there are 2k more cars in dealer lots... then ask him if they want to sell a car.

OP
OP

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Try Ford of Montebello. Ask for Rigo. They accept XPLAN but tell him if he can do better than XPLAN and he probably can.
I currently don't have a XPLAN pin. I was researching on how to obtain one but it looks like I have to be a member for 2 months before I could use it. I was hoping to purchase a Mustang within the month. Will Rigo be able to help out on the price if I don't have XPLAN?

OP
OP

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can understand not letting somebody test drive a vehicle because it might be the only one they have, or a special unit, etc. But if your reason for why I can't test drive something is "because you know it's going to be good", I'm going to laugh in your face.
I was both laughing and taken by his answer.

OP
OP

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That sucks !
I would find another dealer before you give up. By the way I have a new S3 and it's alot of fun but it's not a Mustang.
Did you purchase or lease your S3? I really liked how the vehicle handled but I'm looking to purchase a new car and I hear Audi's become expensive to maintain once they are 4-6 years old. After hearing that I'm hesitant to purchase one.
Sponsored