Mustang interiors are no good

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokketman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
330i E90
This is my first post in this forum. Hello to all the mustang enthusiasts, garage DIYers’, big spendas $$, daily drivers of 100% OEM factory queens, track rats, silent lurkers, trolls, and whoever else I missed. This post will likely rub many the wrong way but then again, edifying truth hurts sometimes. Now, I am a car guy and have lived long enough (and owned and driven enough cars) to know what I like and do not like. I hope this post educates the reader and gives them an elevated ability to see the points I make below when they themselves sit in a 'stang. I am somewhat disheartened to write this post because the pre-LCI 6g mustang GT had (key word: HAD) my eye and potentially my wallet. FWIW: The post-LCI mustang is a filthy ugly thing.

So….

Interiors mentioned below and briefly critiqued or commended in one car's case (E90 & F30 3 series, G70 Hyundai and 2018 Mustang). My issues with the Mustangs' interior has nothing to do with the quality of the materials, plastics, etc. But rather, the dimensions.

I rented a 2018 mustang (again), having rented a 2016 or so mustang years ago. What struck me this time was how big the interior felt, let alone the whole car with its big hood. I had an eco-boost convertible. The whole car almost feels SUV-ish, which is nuts considering that its a low-slung coupe. The left and right halves of the dash are just big with their overhangs, and the new LCD cluster is not sporty. It just feels mini-van like. I was bored driving the car on top of the disappointment of the interior. The 4 cylinder ecoboost has some oomph, but the steering is numb even on the sport setting. Boring car and literally would regret buying this within 1 hour.

The absolute best interior I have personally driven as a daily is the E90 sedan without the GPS hump. It feels like one has gotten into something special and driver oriented when sitting in the driver seat. It blows away even its successor, the F30 which is a confused interior with its lines and an ugly gaping hole between the shifter and the climate controls. They fixed it a bit on the 2019 3 series but then they added some half-circle gauges for speed and RPM. I have to sit in one and drive it to know if I like it. On another note..Hyundai seems to have a winner with their G70.

Some have told me the GT350 mustang will not give me the same impression, but I respond with the sentiment that it is impossible for that to be true because the interior has the same dimensions. The mustang is just too big of a car and the interior is not different. I'm American at heart, and I wish Mustang was smaller in every way so my country was not known for such a badly designed (aesthetically, that is) car, inside and out. The Corvette thankfully helps to dispel the notion Americans only build sports cars of the large interior caliber. While the Corvette has a massive hood (at least the C6), the interior feels much better.
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I had an e90 and e93 (and a laundry list of its competitors). In fact, nothing but German and Japanese smaller sport coupes and sedans for the last 25 years.

I never liked the 5 or 6 series because the interior felt too big. Would always request 1 for maintenance loaners thinking it might be my next car. Point is, I think you are expressing a preference that stays consistent even within the same line of cars.

After awhile, you do get used to it.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
So step up another 20-30k from the GT and get a RS5.

The other cars you posted and listed better interior does not have the same performance as a Mustang GT.

Your thoughts on a 25-30k base line Mustang is dully noted...

At least you got the Troll welcome mentioned.....

OP
OP

rokketman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
330i E90
I had an e90 and e93 (and a laundry list of its competitors). In fact, nothing but German and Japanese smaller sport coupes and sedans for the last 25 years.

I never liked the 5 or 6 series because the interior felt too big. Would always request 1 for maintenance loaners thinking it might be my next car. Point is, I think you are expressing a preference that stays consistent even within the same line of cars.

After awhile, you do get used to it.
I would agree - one can get used to many things and it is only when driving cars back to back that distinctions can sometimes be made. What struck me off guard was after I sat in my E90 after a while. I was just blown away how beautiful the interior was and how it felt like a driver's

So step up another 20-30k from the GT and get a RS5.

The other cars you posted and listed better interior does not have the same performance as a Mustang GT.

Your thoughts on a 25-30k base line Mustang is dully noted...

At least you got the Troll welcome mentioned.....
Well for the sake of keeping things on point, I do not want to bring performance into my consideration of interior cockpits because performance is a non sequitur

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This is my first post in this forum. Hello to all the mustang enthusiasts, garage DIYers’, big spendas $$, daily drivers of 100% OEM factory queens, track rats, silent lurkers, trolls, and whoever else I missed. This post will likely rub many the wrong way but then again, edifying truth hurts sometimes. Now, I am a car guy and have lived long enough (and owned and driven enough cars) to know what I like and do not like. I hope this post educates the reader and gives them an elevated ability to see the points I make below when they themselves sit in a 'stang. I am somewhat disheartened to write this post because the pre-LCI 6g mustang GT had (key word: HAD) my eye and potentially my wallet. FWIW: The post-LCI mustang is a filthy ugly thing.

So….

Interiors mentioned below and briefly critiqued or commended in one car's case (E90 & F30 3 series, G70 Hyundai and 2018 Mustang). My issues with the Mustangs' interior has nothing to do with the quality of the materials, plastics, etc. But rather, the dimensions.

I rented a 2018 mustang (again), having rented a 2016 or so mustang years ago. What struck me this time was how big the interior felt, let alone the whole car with its big hood. I had an eco-boost convertible. The whole car almost feels SUV-ish, which is nuts considering that its a low-slung coupe. The left and right halves of the dash are just big with their overhangs, and the new LCD cluster is not sporty. It just feels mini-van like. I was bored driving the car on top of the disappointment of the interior. The 4 cylinder ecoboost has some oomph, but the steering is numb even on the sport setting. Boring car and literally would regret buying this within 1 hour.

The absolute best interior I have personally driven as a daily is the E90 sedan without the GPS hump. It feels like one has gotten into something special and driver oriented when sitting in the driver seat. It blows away even its successor, the F30 which is a confused interior with its lines and an ugly gaping hole between the shifter and the climate controls. They fixed it a bit on the 2019 3 series but then they added some half-circle gauges for speed and RPM. I have to sit in one and drive it to know if I like it. On another note..Hyundai seems to have a winner with their G70.

Some have told me the GT350 mustang will not give me the same impression, but I respond with the sentiment that it is impossible for that to be true because the interior has the same dimensions. The mustang is just too big of a car and the interior is not different. I'm American at heart, and I wish Mustang was smaller in every way so my country was not known for such a badly designed (aesthetically, that is) car, inside and out. The Corvette thankfully helps to dispel the notion Americans only build sports cars of the large interior caliber. While the Corvette has a massive hood (at least the C6), the interior feels much better.

One question? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? That will probably explain much...

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
This is my first post in this forum. Hello to all the mustang enthusiasts, garage DIYers’, big spendas $$, daily drivers of 100% OEM factory queens, track rats, silent lurkers, trolls, and whoever else I missed. This post will likely rub many the wrong way but then again, edifying truth hurts sometimes...
I've got this great car... Smart Car, I think they call it...

smart-car-1.jpg

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Mustangs are not for everyone!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.