Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Photoshop that I found on the Dutch Autoweek website. It's inaccurate, since it's not going to be a plugin hybrid, but funny nevertheless.

19ky759bs298.jpg
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Interesting information here. I don't know about you guys but I'm still digesting this.

I've been a car nut since I was old enough to talk. Electric cars and hybrids have undeniable advantages at doing the things that cars are made to do...but none of these things have anything to do with why I love cars.

This is the direction of the car industry. Maybe I'll just keep my 5.0, accept the fact that every whirring electric machine on the road will outrun it, and find a new hobby.

Trying to keep an open mind. :(

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I heard that hybrids are only being put in cars so that the government can install mind reading devices. Pass the tinfoil, conspiracy theorists unite!:lol::D
:thumbsup: Funny! FYI - I also hate airbags and think the same thing about them. At least they rarely kill people any more... but we absolutely HAD to have a law requiring them in EVERY car. Billions of dollars for the auto industry.
I'm guessing these plans were set in motion ages ago. Good move by Ford. And there's no sense complaining, guys, it's only a matter of a couple decades before sports cars no longer even exist and cars are all driving themselves. Enjoy your manual V8's while you can.
I'm all for self-driving cars as long as I have the freedom to choose. With self-driving cars all the texters can let the car drive for them instead of leaving a 1/2 mile gap in front of them. Self driving cars will significantly reduce congestion if it's done well. IMO it can't happen soon enough.

If they would just shrink the crap out of the stang and put the motor in the back and give it a turbo 4 I'd be in for that. Forget the electric, at 2750 lbs and 400hp. I'd love it!
I would also love for the car to get smaller - as long as they make it so I can still fit inside. I don't really like the sound of a 4 cylinder either. I won't say never. I might buy something like that if it works well enough, or I might just never buy something new again.

You know what? Lots of choice words not suited for the forums. If people always listened to what the older generation wanted, we'd still have super retro and stick axle. No thanks. Like it or not, it needs to evolve. Don't like it? Buy an older one.

You older crotchety people need to wake up. Hybridization isn't because they're pussifying the car or making a "millennial special". They're doing it to keep the V8 around that YOU want, as do I. It'll be the fastest trim level available. I am 30 and love the V8, but turning your nose down to tech that not only prolongs the life of the V8 in the Mustang, but also is an amazing performing car is a double whammy. What's not to like? Instant torque from the motors and then great power up top from the engine. Sure, the one thing is weight, so we'll see how Ford manages it.
I agree that we will see. This forum is a great place for Ford to get some opinions from people and to see what we want. You can call me or others names such as Crotchety all you want. I don't mind change when it makes sense. If the car gets lighter and faster and works better in every way (including lasting a long time and being cheap/easy to fix as well as purchase) I will be happy to buy it. If it's a POS - sounds bad, too heavy, short range, no fun to drive - I won't.

I think many of the "green" laws don't make sense and the hybrid and electric cars aren't any better for the environment than just having an inexpensive and simple gas burner. The batteries electrics and hybrids use currently are absolutely horrible for the environment and they don't last long at all. That is a big reason why I object to hybrids. It's part of the same corrupt process that produced ethanol laws. Big business bribes the politicians into passing laws and then we all pay the price. I love positive change but corruption and totalitarianism drive me absolutely bonkers.

I saw a story that the average age of cars on the road now is 11 years. The car companies are pushing ideas to try to get unit costs higher so they can make more money on each sale. I think if they went the other way and made new cars much less expensive they might get a lot more people into newer cars.

Ford is on the edge of a blade if you ask me. I love and hate the idea of a hybrid.

I'm not sure if people understand the actual weight gain involved here.

The 3.5 ecoboost weighs about 10-25lbs more than a coyote. A voodoo weighs 13lbs less than a coyote.

A hybrid system with motors and battery is roughly 250-300lbs.

If we shrink a GT to 15/16 size which is reasonable it'll come in around 3450.

If by a miracle we can have an aluminum unibody, I estimate the weight will drop another 150-200lbs. If our car is 3250 and we hybrid it we're back to around 3600.

Add another 25lbs for auto trans, hell some people made me chuckle with the thought of AWD. Add another 200-250 for that.

Big brakes, wheels, coolers etc ala GT350, adds another 100lbs.

So an AWD, hybrid, ecoboost 700+hp or whatever top dawg ZL1 killer will weigh 3900, be smaller, all aluminum, and cost 125K. Mark my words.

It's just not doable. I'm very interested to see what they do.

One car that needs hybridization is the Toyota 86. With a 100/100 motor it would be a riot and roughly 2950lbs.
Well said.

rfrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 White/Blue Track Pack
Hybrid Weight Challenge

This topic got so hot there is no way i could read through all the comments.

The big challenge for Ford with a hybrid Mustang is WEIGHT!

Adding electrical drive system to a gasoline powered vehicle adds a huge amount of weight and a computer management system that constantly switches each drive system on and off.

So those of us that love the handling and performance of the Mustang 6G but wish the V8 version weighed 300-500 lbs less for better performance can forget a lighter version being developed. That is the big downside of this Hybrid Trend!

Now an ALL electric version with GT level suspension could outrun the Tesla Insane Model in acceleration and go around the track in unbeatable times. I hope i get to drive one someday!

So for the masses, the Hybrid is an interim step. This is the future and it is good, overall. Look at the Electric Steering and Electric A/C we already have in our gasoline cars as a result of the Hybrid development. Transferred load from the gas system and simplified maintenance with more flexibility in adjustment (track mode button anyone)?

Let's all back off and see what Ford has coming at the Detroit and Barrett Jackson shows for us V8 performance junkies? I want to see the track versions of the current Mustangs and what they might share with the production models. A couple of years left of the 6G model and it is already fantastic! GO FORD:ford:

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Hot diggety dog I'm startin me a sign company
Mustang Recharging Only
I'll be rich, I'll be on shark tank.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it really doesn't matter it's going to take years until they actually show what it is. we should all just be looking forward to what the hell the 18 refresh actually is.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
trip #1 - regular mustang v8, you want to go from DC to san fran, couple thousand miles....we stop for gas when we run out and roll on....stopping to eat and to sleep. no biggie....

trip #2 - mustang hybrid (electric), same trip as #1, have to stop every 300 miles to "charge" up (if i can find a station that has a charger, which might be off of my planned route) and i just cant gas n go, no i have to wait (hours) for my car to fully charge or else i dont make it the full 300, then i have to find a charging station when we stop for the night, then do it all over again the next day...and the next....

trip #1 - maybe 3 days.
trip #2 - lucky to make it in 5....

i dont see the benefit.
and this is not only the mustangs but all the hybrid cars....no long trips
Ford hasn't said what type of electrification the Mustang would receive; more than likely your concerns are completely invalid.

If it was a plug in electric vehicle your concerns would be valid. However even if running purely off the ICE, the electric power-train can still scavenge power.

I have taken a road trip in a Volt. I wanted to stop before it did. If you have access to gasoline you will have the ability to travel, a key part in why hybrids are so successful.

I guess we know what Dave Pericak really meant by saying a majority of the programs budget was going to fuel economy in a faster horse.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Please keep it civil. Understand this a passionate subject, but insulting fellow Mustang owners is not needed.

I think this is leadership thinking from Ford for the Mustang's market segment but if a V8 disappears, I am going to have to be really, really impressed with the alternate powertrain tech. I am one of those "old dudes" who appreciate the sound aspect. On the Ford GT, I got used to the sound of the powertrain because of the "aura" of the design and car's racing focus.

I think the next Mustang's design will be a strong predictor of its success.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup: Funny! FYI - I also hate airbags and think the same thing about them. At least they rarely kill people any more... but we absolutely HAD to have a law requiring them in EVERY car. Billions of dollars for the auto industry.

I'm all for self-driving cars as long as I have the freedom to choose. With self-driving cars all the texters can let the car drive for them instead of leaving a 1/2 mile gap in front of them. Self driving cars will significantly reduce congestion if it's done well. IMO it can't happen soon enough.

I would also love for the car to get smaller - as long as they make it so I can still fit inside. I don't really like the sound of a 4 cylinder either. I won't say never. I might buy something like that if it works well enough, or I might just never buy something new again.

I agree that we will see. This forum is a great place for Ford to get some opinions from people and to see what we want. You can call me or others names such as Crotchety all you want. I don't mind change when it makes sense. If the car gets lighter and faster and works better in every way (including lasting a long time and being cheap/easy to fix as well as purchase) I will be happy to buy it. If it's a POS - sounds bad, too heavy, short range, no fun to drive - I won't.

I think many of the "green" laws don't make sense and the hybrid and electric cars aren't any better for the environment than just having an inexpensive and simple gas burner. The batteries electrics and hybrids use currently are absolutely horrible for the environment and they don't last long at all. That is a big reason why I object to hybrids. It's part of the same corrupt process that produced ethanol laws. Big business bribes the politicians into passing laws and then we all pay the price. I love positive change but corruption and totalitarianism drive me absolutely bonkers.

I saw a story that the average age of cars on the road now is 11 years. The car companies are pushing ideas to try to get unit costs higher so they can make more money on each sale. I think if they went the other way and made new cars much less expensive they might get a lot more people into newer cars.

Well said.
I'm with you on many green laws being totally corrupt crap. I hate CAFE, ethanol and to a lesser extent, tax incentives for hybrids. I don't mind the idea of what it's going for so much, but think it's a waste of our tax dollars. Get rid of CAFE and pull on the demand side of the equation, fuel, rather than the supply to get buyers to go for higher fuel efficiency and demand it from the manufacturers. The folks who want a V8 and can afford it can have it. The people who need a truck or something less efficient for work can write some of it off, as can the poorer folks.

It's up to Ford to make this hybrid something people want. In the end, they won't get rid of the V8 for the S650, so if it doesn't sell, but the V8 and turbo 4 do, they know they screwed up.

Can't agree on airbags. They could quite literally save my neck if someone rear ends me from speed, or T-bones me running a red light. I want them in my car, thank you. There's a lot of related things that I don't want, and feel are causing people to be more careless: Lane departure, auto braking, collision avoidance, etc. I don't like how high belt lines are and the poor visibility that's propagated to every vehicle segment because of it, which is partially necessitating the mandatory backup cameras.

Agreed on autonomous cars. They can't come soon enough but will need their own roads. V2V and V2I communication is required to make it work well. I want to enjoy my semi-analog car for the rest of my life when I'm not going back and forth to work. Otherwise, bring it on. Keep the people who can't stop playing with an electronic device, makeup or any number of things away from a steering wheel.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
trip #1 - regular mustang v8, you want to go from DC to san fran, couple thousand miles....we stop for gas when we run out and roll on....stopping to eat and to sleep. no biggie....

trip #2 - mustang hybrid (electric), same trip as #1, have to stop every 300 miles to "charge" up (if i can find a station that has a charger, which might be off of my planned route) and i just cant gas n go, no i have to wait (hours) for my car to fully charge or else i dont make it the full 300, then i have to find a charging station when we stop for the night, then do it all over again the next day...and the next....

trip #1 - maybe 3 days.
trip #2 - lucky to make it in 5....

i dont see the benefit.
and this is not only the mustangs but all the hybrid cars....no long trips
Isn't there a difference between hybrid cars and all electric cars? I thought with hybrid cars certain actions such as braking would recharge the battery? I believe there are numerous hybrid cars available now that do not plug in at all. The car is not going full electric, just hybrid. Big difference there.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Isn't there a difference between hybrid cars and all electric cars? I thought with hybrid cars certain actions such as braking would recharge the battery? I believe there are numerous hybrid cars available now that do not plug in at all. The car is not going full electric, just hybrid. Big difference there.
Correct. 3.5 TT hybrid please!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It's up to Ford to make this hybrid something people want. In the end, they won't get rid of the V8 for the S650, so if it doesn't sell, but the V8 and turbo 4 do, they know they screwed up.
I'd love to know how many sales Ford expect from the hybrid Mustang. Will they be prepared to sell it as a loss leader? Knowing how Ford count every cent that goes into the car (the scene in A Faster Horse where Prakash Patel queries the need for a 25c wheel arch fastener brought this home!) they must believe the business case stacks up.

As long as the business case stacks up for the V8 Mustang too, I'm sure they'll keep building that one as well.

:)

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
The thing that bothers me more about the hybrid is that there won't be a manual transmission! That disappointment will only go away if they put a sequential...:cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to know how many sales Ford expect from the hybrid Mustang. Will they be prepared to sell it as a loss leader? Knowing how Ford count every cent that goes into the car (the scene in A Faster Horse where Prakash Patel queries the need for a 25c wheel arch fastener brought this home!) they must believe the business case stacks up.

As long as the business case stacks up for the V8 Mustang too, I'm sure they'll keep building that one as well.

:)
They may have to if regulations go unchanged. It's hard to imagine that happening though. If CAFE regs get significantly modified or eliminated, I believe they would still produce the car, because they've already invested a lot already. It would probably then command a higher premium but also would likely be even higher performance.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
kby99rkijrxefszb5pgo.png

It's really fun to read the speculations made from a an extremely vague statement. What's great is how long you will have to wait to find out exactly. Were are months from a 2018 release and still don't know much about it. :lol:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.