Sponsored

Michigan Roads, and your Mustang

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
As someone who is not a native Michigander. The roads in Detroit Metro area make Pennsylvania look like we paved our roads with gold each night.

This is my first new car, and the shear amount of road rash my car has acquired in two months is frightening, and I can see why people trade their cars in so often here.

I am almost at a loss for what to do. I don't follow close to people, I do my best to avoid other cars as most people drive fast and obliviously, and I clean the car religiously

This being said my car gets continually pelted with stones from the roadway, other cars, tractor trailers with three trailers ect.

The last two days have been especially bad getting onto 75N in the Troy area. The gravel is horrendous, I have watch cars start to loose traction trying to get on the highway. I now have two small chips in my windshield, the leading edges of the rear quarters have scratches through the paint, and three small gauges in the hood.

Anyone have any advice? I spoke with a coworker who is a reserve police officer. He had mentioned if portions of the highway near on ramps, and the ramps them selves have that much gravel it would be worth calling the state police.

I plan on keeping this car for a while. It's not a show car, but I feel at this rate I may have to get panels painted in a year or two.
Sponsored

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
As someone who is not a native Michigander. The roads in Detroit Metro area make Pennsylvania look like we paved our roads with gold each night.

This is my first new car, and the shear amount of road rash my car has acquired in two months is frightening, and I can see why people trade their cars in so often here.

I am almost at a loss for what to do. I don't follow close to people, I do my best to avoid other cars as most people drive fast and obliviously, and I clean the car religiously

This being said my car gets continually pelted with stones from the roadway, other cars, tractor trailers with three trailers ect.

The last two days have been especially bad getting onto 75N in the Troy area. The gravel is horrendous, I have watch cars start to loose traction trying to get on the highway. I now have two small chips in my windshield, the leading edges of the rear quarters have scratches through the paint, and three small gauges in the hood.

Anyone have any advice? I spoke with a coworker who is a reserve police officer. He had mentioned if portions of the highway near on ramps, and the ramps them selves have that much gravel it would be worth calling the state police.

I plan on keeping this car for a while. It's not a show car, but I feel at this rate I may have to get panels painted in a year or two.
I would avoid 75. Take another route to work. In the winter it's only going to get worse and there are always a shit ton of debris on the road.

I am also from the Northeast and moved to MI about 1.5 years ago. The roads here are so bad. I may put a protective film on my mustang, but I'm still debating on it. I used to live in Oakland County, and currently live in Wayne County (work for Ford). It's worse here.

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
Just wait till mid winter "cold paths crews" they through shovels of asphalt in holes as cars are running down the road. might as well be going down a dirt road at freeway speeds during rush hour. our roads are bad.

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
My best advise is to avoid the freeways and don't drive the car in the rain or winter. If you really want to keep it looking nice for a long time you have to make sacrifices. Of course the other option is to just drive it and not care so much which is very hard to do.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I'm looking to get an Xpel clear bra put on here before winter. Might be worth looking into, there are a few threads about it on here. Luckily I don't take 75 and my black 14 GT was fine after last winter lol.

Sponsored

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Check into getting a professional rust inhibitor sprayed on to the undercarriage too. There are so many options luckily. Yeah 75 anywhere is fricken horrible lol.

OP
OP
68fbjjz109

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Well fortunately my car will be in storage most of the winter getting go faster parts put on.

With regards to the rust inhibitor doesn't alot of the have to be put on when the car is new?

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Well fortunately my car will be in storage most of the winter getting go faster parts put on.

With regards to the rust inhibitor doesn't alot of the have to be put on when the car is new?
Ideally you want to have it put on when new but it can be done anytime really. My car goes into the garage for storage on the 5th of November also getting go fast and handle better parts. Excited about that but not being able to test them until spring is going to be painful.

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ya the Michigan roads make Ohio's look great. lol. Grew up in Ohio.
Sponsored