Sponsored

MGW Issue only while moving

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I just installed my MGW shifter last night, and the install went about as well as it can be on jackstands. I adjusted everything as they show. Did it exactly as the video stated. Goes into first and second like butter, no issues...while sitting still.

As soon as the car is even REMOTELY moving, second gear is a no go. I can get into the gate and about 90% in, but then stops JUST short of actually engaging. It gets super spongy and won't engage.

I'm on my third time adjusting it, going exactly as the video stated, and trying a little bit looser every time, to no avail. Contacted MGW and they believe it's a bad transmission, but in the 700 miles the car has on it, it's never had issues before.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
not sure, I have the barton3 which is basically same thing and same install process, I do not have any issues. I wish I could help but im clueless. did it on lack stands took about 2 hours with a friend.

on the barton, you are supposed to redo the shift gate thingy, you adjust it so the shifter goes between the gates smoothly, once you do that, you tighten it down. its below the shifter lockout piece.

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not sure, I have the barton3 which is basically same thing and same install process, I do not have any issues. I wish I could help but im clueless. did it on lack stands took about 2 hours with a friend.

on the barton, you are supposed to redo the shift gate thingy, you adjust it so the shifter goes between the gates smoothly, once you do that, you tighten it down. its below the shifter lockout piece.
The install wasn't terrible. Just getting the bolts on top of the trans out sucked, and lining them back up. I've already adjusted them exactly as MGW shows in their videos 3 times. WOrks perfectly when the car is turned off, or at a standstill, but as soon as it's moving the issue presents itself.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Did it do this immediately before installing this? if not, then the transmission is fine. its probably something out of alignment if I had to guess

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it do this immediately before installing this? if not, then the transmission is fine. its probably something out of alignment if I had to guess
That's what gets me. I've had zero shifting issues while stock. Never been locked out even under high load/RPM. Then after installing and setting the adjustment pin, it went perfectly while the car was off. the only time I've ever had an issue was while moving and with the MGW.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
well there's one of three things.

1. mgw is bad
2. you broke your transmission (impossible)
3. something isn't installed correctly or unaligned.

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M
well there's one of three things.

1. mgw is bad
2. you broke your transmission (impossible)
3. something isn't installed correctly or unaligned.
After speaking with MGW they believe it's Number 2.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you can verify this, by installing old shifter back in. isn't ideal, but if, if it works like before. mgw is the variable
its only natural that mgw would want to blame it on either installation error or a faulty component other than their own at first.

if you re assemble oem back, and it works as intended, there is either an issue with the install, or the part is bad.

Stang5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang bullitt 6759
I have installed a MGW X spec with the flat stick shifter handle on my 2019 Bullitt and I didn’t even have to make an adjustment I love the mechanical feel when shifting . But I recommend letting the trans warm up before banging shifts and you will be quite happy

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have installed a MGW X spec with the flat stick shifter handle on my 2019 Bullitt and I didn’t even have to make an adjustment I love the mechanical feel when shifting . But I recommend letting the trans warm up before banging shifts and you will be quite happy
Quite happy with what? That I no longer have second gear?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Think of all the gas you'll save skipping it! As annoying as it is, you'll have to revert to stock to see if the problem remains.
Wonder if that's how toyota got those prius numbers. Said screw second gear lol.

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So lifted the car up, loosened everything up and dropped the crossmember again. Wiggled everything around just incase something hadn't settled correctly. Slowly bolted the crossmember back up letting it do it's own thing. Reset the adjustment pin again. Shifts like butter now! Every gear feels fantastic!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I had a good feeling it was install error. any small bind can cause an issue. I didn't experience it while its easy things do happen.

glad you got it worked out!

Stang5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang bullitt 6759
Obviously it was installation error , and now you will be quite happy !
Sponsored