Sponsored

Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Issue on 2021 Mach 1 engine bay

kciN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange
Hello everyone was hoping to find some help here. I Went to clean the engine bay on my 2021 Mach 1. When I started cleaning the cross brace the Meguiars all purple cleaner left a white coating over the cross brace and I am not sure if it took paint off as well or if is just dirt. I tried a damp microfiber towel to wipe it off but I can’t get it off. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. I didn’t have the best lighting since it was the evening in my garage but I can retake more photos in the morning.

031B5879-0218-46A8-989A-1A7892BA9963.jpeg

37B9B746-4FFC-4204-9317-95BA10EF195F.jpeg
Sponsored

JnBama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
If just residue maybe try WD40.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
An alcohol wipe should get that off real easy

OP
OP

kciN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange
I will give that a try ! Thank you !

Sponsored

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I tried but no luck it seems like part of the paint definitely came off with that detail spray
Dang. Well thanks for the heads up not to use the product.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can you post up what Meguiars product you used?

I know there was a product on the market years ago, something called “Purple Power” or similar in name. That shit would dissolve not only any engine grime, but it would remove paint from painted surfaces…. People were finding out the had way unfortunately by not reading the bottle’s fine print or instructions warning of the content strength or dilution needed when using on certain surfaces.

The ONLY product I’ve ever used in an engine bay that is safe for cleaning, aside from actual leftover car wash soap, is Simple Green. I’ve never had an issue with Simple Green causing any damages or etching painted surfaces.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
No doubt it's this.

1661071936933.png

OP: I have had Simple Green remove paint so it is entirely possible that this stuff did the same to your cross brace. I dilute 50/50. Thankfully, the spot is under the hood. By chance did you leave it on the surface for an extended period of time? Were you using a towell or a brush? I'm gonna guess, a rag. Obviously, Ford doesn't put much paint on that brace.

For engine bay cleaning, it's generally considered best practice to soak the area with an engine cleaning product, agitate with a detail brush as necessary, than rinse and air dry.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
These strut tower braces are "silver powder coated finish".

Meguiar's All-Purpose Cleaner if not diluted correctly could have caused a reaction with the finish. I say that in the assumption you used the green dilutable APC sold by the gallon, which is then diluted to suit the cleaning power required. In which case, what was your dilution ratio?

Meguiar's® D101 Detailer All Purpose Cleaner, 1 Gallon (meguiarsdirect.com)

Also, did you remove the product residue before it dried?

APC's can do this sort of thing, they are highly alkaline and unless removed via water to neutralize that alkalinity, the white spots will be the result.

Sometimes, removing like with like can work. Also try using an IPA product. Failing that, try using some polish on a test section and see what you get.

Good luck.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
And while on the subject, Meguiar's websites (in the USA and Australia) are garbage. Dim witted with searches and poorly, illogically laid out. Not good enough these days.

I suspect Meguiar's need some fresh blood in their management and marketing departments, the whole brand image and the look of the products is so outdated. And I say that as someone who likes and uses many of their products.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kciN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange
It’s the green all service cleaner. I was using a brush then a rag to wipe it off. Lesson learned here. I have the paint code to touch that spot up in the future. It’s unfortunate I see so many people using this product.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It’s the green all service cleaner. I was using a brush then a rag to wipe it off. Lesson learned here. I have the paint code to touch that spot up in the future. It’s unfortunate I see so many people using this product.
Do you remember what dilution ratio you used?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's a good product. I dilute 10:1 with distilled water and it's safe for any surface in that ratio.

Topblissgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
apc will never remove powder coating if used correctly. There is something else going on

OP
OP

kciN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange
From what I am reading I don't think I diluted the product enough. From talking to others quite a few people don't dilute as much as people are recommending here. Thank you everyone for the advice.
Sponsored