Map lights suck

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The interior lighting in this car is pathetic. I am considering the Diode Dynamics bulbs. I have heard that they are hard to install and many people have pushed the the socket into the housing. That in turn requires removing the overhead compartment. On the 2018 and up cars, this is very difficult to do thanks to a change Ford made to the mounting clips. Is it possible to install these bulbs without effing it up?
1708822671528.png
Sponsored

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
The interior lighting in this car is pathetic. I am considering the Diode Dynamics bulbs. I have heard that they are hard to install and many people have pushed the the socket into the housing. That in turn requires removing the overhead compartment. On the 2018 and up cars, this is very difficult to do thanks to a change Ford made to the mounting clips. Is it possible to install these bulbs without effing it up?
1708822671528.png
I have the whole Diode Dynamics LED interior lighting replacement kit that I purchased 2 years ago and haven't changed them out yet. The fellow on the CJ Pony parts has a video and makes it look easy, but I haven't done mine yet for the Shelby.
I'll watch for your feedback.... :wink:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
1708822671528.png
I did the ones in my 19, and I just took the whole thing down to do it. I don’t remember anything weird about it but I am used to the ones in BMWs and those are effing terrible to do. So it may just be my perspective.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
CJ Pony Parts has a really good video, especially since they changed the map light housing for the 18+ cars

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
It's not a bad install with a decent set of plastic trim removal tools. Don't use metal tools on the map light. Here's my install notes: post #61

My wife hates the bright vanity lights in the visor.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
It's not a bad install with a decent set of plastic trim removal tools. Don't use metal tools on the map light. Here's my install notes: post #61

My wife hates the bright vanity lights in the visor.
I just cringed watching Bill attack those lenses with his hunting knife! 😲

Ordered the whole Level2 cool-white kit off Amazon. Bright vanity lights be damned. The video that @MAGS1 posted clinched the deal. I ordered the 2017 version for a few bucks more but comes with a trunk bulb. But 2018 and up they started producing them with LED in the trunk. So I will have spare bulb if one goes out.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Ordered the whole Level2 cool-white kit off Amazon. Bright vanity lights be damned. The video that @MAGS1 posted clinched the deal. I ordered the 2017 version for a few bucks more but comes with a trunk bulb. But 2018 and up they started producing them with LED in the trunk. So I will have spare bulb if one goes out.
LOL yeah the hunting knife is a bit much. A small flat head screwdriver or pick is more than sufficient I would think.

Sponsored

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB

CJ Pony videos are a great reference, but I always add at least 2x to their suggested install time.

Any time the camera cuts away while Bill is installing.... you know that step is gonna be a b!tch. Yup, camera cuts at 2:20 😰

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I wonder do they have the bulb for the armrest console too 🤔 That one is also dim on my 16.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
LOL yeah the hunting knife is a bit much. A small flat head screwdriver or pick is more than sufficient I would think.
IMO it's not worth the risk of damaging the lens.. only to have a socket push into the housing.

Leave the lenses alone. Just drop the map light housing. Test the LEDs before reinstalling the housing.

Also, before reinstalling the map light housing:
Bend the 2 white mounting tabs back up towards the roof using the butt of a hammer. The map light will then seat nice and flush against the headliner.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I recall that I got mine installed without popping out the reflectors, probably by using gentle pressure because I already knew the risk. Maybe I wiggled the bulb back and forth during insertion. Perhaps you could retain downward pressure on the reflector at the bulb opening with a right angle pick.

If you do find up having to pull down the whole housing it helps to put on a headlight to light up inside while trying to get your head right up against the headliner.

I made a post some years back on this with photos. You could search for it under my username.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I recall that I got mine installed without popping out the reflectors, probably by using gentle pressure because I already knew the risk. Maybe I wiggled the bulb back and forth during insertion. Perhaps you could retain downward pressure on the reflector at the bulb opening with a right angle pick.

If you do find up having to pull down the whole housing it helps to put on a headlight to light up inside while trying to get your head right up against the headliner.

I made a post some years back on this with photos. You could search for it under my username.
I think if you push hard enough on the socket (and you probably have to to seat the LED) there is the risk of the side tabs letting go. I saw how easy it was for Bill in CJ's video to pop the sockets out. I think a set of C ring pliers or maybe needle nose spread open to hold the tabs in place while the bulb is inserted could work. If not, I'll be taking your advice with the headlamp and bring down the housing. I'll post how it goes when I get them.
Sponsored