Sponsored

Mach 1 Tremac lurching forward after recall update / Oil change / Failed Emissions test

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I am Curious, why did you have to do emissions testing on your vehicle? Its a brand new car unless you are trying to sell it I don't see the need to test it. Enlighten me.
Emissions testing (via OBD diagnostic port) is required annually in Texas, and you must pass in order to renew your registration. There's no sniffer test, and the visual inspection is typically cursory at best. As long as you don't have any pending codes, no active CEL, and all readiness monitors are set, you'll pass.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Emissions testing (via OBD diagnostic port) is required annually in Texas, and you must pass in order to renew your registration. There's no sniffer test, and the visual inspection is typically cursory at best. As long as you don't have any pending codes, no active CEL, and all readiness monitors are set, you'll pass.
WOW thats worse than Cali for once. New cars don't require that test here I think for the first 8 years.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Holy crap that's crazy. Even California isn't that bad. In Arizona, emissions testing isn't required until 4 years after new purchase. Then its every other after that.

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
What's with everyone saying these transmissions don't rev match on upshifts? It absolutely does. Wind out second gear and go straight to fifth and it'll hold at the RPM needed for a smooth engagement.

Y'all be crazy 🤣

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I don't need or want it's help. 25 years on bikes where blipping and slipping is integral to basic riding. Cars are no different.
I still blip with it turned on out of habit which will probably never die. But, the computer is much better than me so I leave it on.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I had an oil change covered by service contract at a reputable dealer. All was good with the car, just needed an oil change, decided to get the recall update and get an emissions test as well.

Youd think id be straight forward but I guess not, and this dealer had very good ratings. My GPS did not show any joy riding, but I am left with the following issues:

1. The most annoying is that the car lurches forward in speed when I upshift and let out the clutch, and then slows down as I haven't yet applied continuous throttle. Makes the car rock up and then down every upshift

2. The transmission now rev matches on UP SHIFTS, this caught me by surprise because I could have swore it only did it on downshifts. It does not rev match on the upshift all the time

3. Very bad brake squeal when braking at low speed. No way did they remove the wheels, the locks are "undefeatable".

The car also failed emissions. This is my fault as I removed the carbon trap, I didn't believe this trap actually had enough impact to fail me in a state that has loose emission laws.

I brought this up to the person who handled the service and he's just clueless. He still made sure I was charged for that failed test though lol. I also heard the guy grind a gear, either 1st or reverse when he first got in, not sure how bad. I think these service guys are really killing the 1st gear, not the first I've seen Ford tech grind them, they dont FULLY engage the thing. Everything seems normal, but I do feel a "crunch" when going in 5th and I used to be able to get over speed bumps in 2nd no throttle, a bit harder to do now.

My question is, is there anything they could have done during this that is the cause of this. My suspicion is that the cars "learning" has been reset or some parameter in the BCM/ECU was changed thinking it would help with emissions and left uncorrected.

Initially it was really bad, I've gotten several miles on it and it's decently better but still doesn't feel 100%. Also cant tell if it's just me that's doing the learning here lol. It's like the car wants to either let me clutch out real slow or just shift fast and go full WOT on it.
All of this except for the brake squeal can be from an ECM clearing parameters. Until it learns it's way back the initial mode tends to idle high and run on after load is removed. Not sure how much and how long on this platform specifically but all other "learning" ECUs I've dealt with previously do this.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I had the brake light recall fix accomplished today. I shoulder-surfed and chatted with the tech while he completed it. I asked if it was possible to incorrectly reference and then load a patch or recall repair. The answer is, "No."

The tech hocked up to the car and launched the Ford Diagnostic and Repair System (FDRS) from a tablet. He then connected the tablet to a Wi-Fi source from his cell phone.

Once FDRS is loaded and talking to the car, each of the car's modules (there are tens of them) and their statuses populate on screen. The tech then reaches out to Ford, reviews any applicable updates, selects those and begins the process.

Any updates are specific to that car and modules, using the VIN as a reference. The technician does not select from a catalog of all Ford vehicles and their updates. The setup makes things easier for the tech and helps remove the possibility of selecting a patch incorrectly.

Start-to-finish, it took less than 15 minutes. The car rebooted multiple times. After the final reboot, the modules were confirmed good, any codes cleared and that was that.

I did ask if he'd encountered many problems while patching. With respect to Mustangs, the occasional on-off, but very few and far between. Virtually every update executes correctly the first time.

One contributing factor as to why an update might not occur as expected (my opinion): the wireless connection. 802.11 (wireless standard) is cool and all; it has purpose. But wireless is not error-free and is sometimes prone to corruption, contention or interference. The FDRS tablet relies on that connection for pulling any software updates from Ford's systems; they do not appear to be pre-loaded on the tablet.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But wireless is not error-free and is sometimes prone to corruption, contention or interference
there is boku ECC in wifi specs. And all firmware would be deployed with checksums. Any bad download would be trivially detected.
That doesnt mean there couldn't be a bad build on the server. I don't know how bespoke the modules are.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
there is boku ECC in wifi specs. And all firmware would be deployed with checksums. Any bad download would be trivially detected.
That doesnt mean there couldn't be a bad build on the server. I don't know how bespoke the modules are.
Agreed.

Who knows what happened with the OP's techs. An alternative scenario might have involved tablet issues or a loose OBD connecting cable, with the update ending part way through. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️.

Glad OP got his car fixed and returned to him. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited: