Sponsored

Lund Racing Shelby GT350 Tuning now available!!!!

Furiousone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Shelby GT350
Thanks guys- I'm sure as I proceed I'll ask more questions as needed.
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
ALC % is one of the gauges you can have displayed
Correct. I have it set to the 6 screen, I have RPM, (shift lights come on) ACl % ACL learn, IA Temp, Knock, AFR, and I forget the last one.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i have my tune out and running 93 and man it sucks. missing the lund/corn combo badly

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
No need to complicate things. Once the tune is loaded you just drive and enjoy. Since I am in California my normal gas is limited to 91 octane, so the difference this tune makes is even more pronounced. Every time I fill up I monitor the learning process, more to satisfy my OCD than to actually alert my to some sort of issue. 100% of my fill ups have been trouble free. I fill the tank, the NGauge alc learn indicator resets to 0, four miles later it switches to 1 and it's off to the races.

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
ALC % is one of the gauges you can have displayed
But there is no ethanol sensor in the system so how is it measuring alcohol content? I set mine up and it’s reading 91. Measured fuel with test tube setup shows about 77 right now as we still have winter fuel. For a true reading you need to set up a Ethnanol sensor inline with a controller and send it’s analog signal to the ngauge to display

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
But there is no ethanol sensor in the system so how is it measuring alcohol content? I set mine up and it’s reading 91. Measured fuel with test tube setup shows about 77 right now as we still have winter fuel. For a true reading you need to set up a Ethnanol sensor inline with a controller and send it’s analog signal to the ngauge to display
that is exactly what mine did. it is not very accurate, but it can distinguish between 93/e85 and a myriad of mixes in between

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
Most likely it is doing it based on fuel trims. So say the car wants X amount of fuel at a given RPM/load on 93 octane. If the car now is learning an extra 15% fuel addition in that area, you can roughly math out the ethanol content.

The reason this has some variances versus real percentage:
- The cars will naturally operate slightly differently from one to the next (one may get higher VE than another, or minuscule difference in injector sizing or MAF reading)
- Any aftermarket parts that change VE or MAF reading
- Any deviation from absolute perfection for fueling tuning (Maf scaling, injector compensations... etc)
- Fuel and fuel mixture (how well had it blended by the time everything finished learning?)

It is very feasible to have a 10-15% deviation from real ethanol content to "assumed" ethanol content due to just the above. If you tune in a bit of extra leniency for these sorts of imperfections and allow the car to do its long term fuel learning, you don't have to be concerned about much. It is certainly a good idea to take logs and double check before going nuts though, obviously.

Realistically, lets say the car has E77 in it, but thinks it is E91. If your fueling is spot on when it says E91 and your fueling is spot on when it E25 (but is actually E10, for example), the blends in-between will be fine. Now, if you ran straight E98, would the algorithm learn "over 100%" alcohol content in order to use the right multiplier for fueling demand? I'm not sure on that one, would depend on who wrote the algorithm.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The ecu learns the ethanol content in exactly the same way all Ford flex fuel vehicles do. Ford engineers abandoned standalone fuel sensors years ago in favor of the current system and apparently are satisfied with the results.

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
The ecu learns the ethanol content in exactly the same way all Ford flex fuel vehicles do. Ford engineers abandoned standalone fuel sensors years ago in favor of the current system and apparently are satisfied with the results.
Understood. Just trying to get the value reported and it’s accuracy. I have the flex tune running and a E85R tune which is more aggressive that is written for 85 percent in the tank. I need to be up to at least 83

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sorry if that has been covered. Read the whole thread, but looking for something exact. How does the performance change adding the tune and then just going 93 full time? I don't want to mess with the back and forth fueling change. thank you!
:cheers:

Sponsored

Mason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Oxford White
I recently had my car tuned via Lund. I'm loving the flex fuel tune, the car really comes alive with e85 in the tank. I was skeptical about how much of a difference fuel could actually make, but I was wrong. The car was amazing on 93, but just goes into Beast-Mode on e85.

Whoever mentioned it earlier, they are correct, gas mileage on e85 is absolute crap. Ethanol has about 30ish % less energy than pump gas, so you'll burn through gas that much faster. I can easily burn through a half tank going on a few hours drive with the boys.

Furiousone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Shelby GT350
I recently had my car tuned via Lund. I'm loving the flex fuel tune, the car really comes alive with e85 in the tank. I was skeptical about how much of a difference fuel could actually make, but I was wrong. The car was amazing on 93, but just goes into Beast-Mode on e85.

Whoever mentioned it earlier, they are correct, gas mileage on e85 is absolute crap. Ethanol has about 30ish % less energy than pump gas, so you'll burn through gas that much faster. I can easily burn through a half tank going on a few hours drive with the boys.
So I assume you installed the tune, ran the 93 out then put in the E85. Then drive the car gently until the fuel trims update, then beast mode? Who did you order through? So close on pulling the trigger on this....

Mason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Oxford White
So I assume you installed the tune, ran the 93 out then put in the E85. Then drive the car gently until the fuel trims update, then beast mode? Who did you order through? So close on pulling the trigger on this....
I ordered the tune and nguage directly from Lund, but Beefcake and others can provide the same services as well.

I first received a 93 tune with instructions on how to datalog the results. Once that was completed, and everything checked out, Lund sent the flex tune, and the same datalog instructions followed. I emptied the tank down to about 5 miles, then filled up. After neutral rev holds and light driving, the alcohol locked at 75%. I ran that tank nearly out and filled up again, to which the alcohol locked at 84%. The next couple fillups on E85 all maintained about and 83-85% alcohol lock.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I got my tune from Lund about two years ago. At the time I asked about datalogging and he said it wasn't necessary. Maybe they have changed things since then. I always buy my e85 at the same station and the Alc. % readout on the NGauge never varies more than 1-2%.

Furiousone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Shelby GT350
Thanks for the info guys, seems simple enough. Just need to pull the trigger.
Sponsored