Sponsored

Lucas 5W-50 in bulk

Flavoade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 GB w/ Blk Roof, and Black stripe
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone purchased any Lucas 5W-50 or other brand in bulk?

I have been shopping around to find a brand that I can buy in bulk. I checked Amsoil and they told me that they do not sell their Sig 5W-50 in anything larger than quarts as it is not a common purchase and the quart size meets the demand. I can't find anything about Motorcraft in bulk.

So far I have found that Lucas sells their 5W-50 in Quarts, Gallons, 5 Gallons, and 55 Gallon drums. Redline sells in the same sizes as well. Redline is more than twice the price of Lucas. I can buy a 5 Gallon pale from Summit for $110, compared to Redline at $260. Also for the 55 Gallon drums, Lucas is around $1133 compared to Redline at $2600.

I did the math and the 5 Gallon buckets seem to be the most economical as you only save around $100 over buying another 5 Gal bucket every year or so versus buying the drum and having to store it and buy the pump.

On the other hand, I am wondering if Lucas will continue to produce this 5W-50 formula or the price going up.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Flavoade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 GB w/ Blk Roof, and Black stripe
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10382

i notice that's a "high mileage" motor oil. and does lucas meet ford spec?

i'd personally stick with motorcraft or pony up for amsoil or redline.
Yeah I noticed that as well. So apparently it is the same as this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10101-1

It states on the Lucas website that it was developed for our cars. There are some older threads talking about, even a guy selling Oil Change kits using Lucas. I remember reading a thread from a guy who went to the GT350 Track Attack and said Lucas was being used in the cars there.

Going by this webpage: https://lucasoil.com/products/lucas-motor-oil/synthetic/lucas-synthetic-motor-oils It seems to show the same part numbers for the larger quantities.

It seems like a good deal, just havent heard about anyone buying it.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Back in 2017 I did a lot of research on oils that met Ford 931C, and the only three I found that had 931C on the bottle were Motorcraft, Lucas and Amsoil Unless something has changed, it meets the spec.

Sponsored

Banwait_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R
I have been buying Mobil 1 5W-50 in bulk from Napa Auto Parts stores.
It's been on sale for $6/quart for about a month now, however, ymmv.

upload_2019-3-27_6-11-37.png

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I believe Mobile 1 now meets the specs as well.
M1 is excellent - it's in my car now, actually. However, it doesn't meet the spec because it has too much phosphorus - M1 is 1,000 ppm and the 931C limit is 800 ppm. Lucas' phosphorus is below 800.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10382

i notice that's a "high mileage" motor oil. and does lucas meet ford spec?

i'd personally stick with motorcraft or pony up for amsoil or redline.
Whoever wrote up the listing for the website mistook "High Performance" for "High Milage". That being said it does not appear to meet the Ford WSS-M2C931-C spec, or at least they don't list it.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Why not, (and i'm just curious here... not trying to start an oil war party) stick to motorcraft while the car is under warranty? Does the other oil really give that much better lubrication over the one that Ford recommends?

I, for one, am going to stick to all Motorcraft shit until I own the car. Would hate, especially with all the horror stories about engine issues, to have Ford give me shit over using Mobile 1, Lucas, Amsoil etc.

Anyway, I was just curious... and then threw in my, unwanted, 2 cents :)

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Why not, (and i'm just curious here... not trying to start an oil war party) stick to motorcraft while the car is under warranty? Does the other oil really give that much better lubrication over the one that Ford recommends?

I, for one, am going to stick to all Motorcraft shit until I own the car. Would hate, especially with all the horror stories about engine issues, to have Ford give me shit over using Mobile 1, Lucas, Amsoil etc.

Well, for one reason (that can be backed up), I have never seen an oil analysis of Amsoil shearing or breaking down out of spec for a 5W50. I have not seen any Motorcraft analyses, but word on the street is that Motorcraft 5W50 will break down to a 40 weight fairly quickly. And then there's a few other things like capitalism, brand loyalty, etc. To each his own.

I am most sincerely not about to insult you on your tolerance for things of this nature, nor knowledge on things related to this topic, but if you do a little homework on warranties, the law, Magnus-Moss Act, etc, the manufacturer absolutely cannot touch you for using a different brand oil. It is illegal for them to restrict you to Motorcraft brand, period, dot. They can mandate a spec, but they can only recommend a brand. And while you may hear of horror stories and warranty battles, dare I say I'd challenge anyone to provide a story, much less proof, of Ford giving someone grief over the brand of oil they used.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes

I seriously doubt that the Ford dealer is going to do enough analysis to figure out what brand of oil you are running, however AMSOIL does get the Ford 931-C stamp.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Going back to the OP's question, I found this in another thread on this forum:

17264300_10208723144976647_4307412731716090279_n-jpg.jpg

That pretty much settles the question about Lucas meeting the Ford spec.

Note that it says "Meets" as opposed to the rather vague "Recommended for" or "Use where". That vague language is often interpreted to mean it meets a spec, but really it's just an instruction to the consumer rather than a statement about quality and performance.

Does anyone have an Amsoil label picture they can put up?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No image from the bottle (from work), but here's a link directly to the product data bulletin. Amsoil was 931-C compliant even before Ford changed the spec for the car (used to be 931-B) But it's backwards compatible if you have a '15-'16 still calling for -B.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf
Capture.PNG
Sponsored