OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/ Black Accent Pkg
The Extremes are definitely raspy. The ATAK gets raspy in the upper RPM’s but are still fairly deep in the low RPM. MBRP is a little less raspy as they use an H pipe whereas Borla and Corsa use an X (you do have the option for a double H with Corsa also). For me, Borla S Type is the perfect aftermarket catback, pretty deep note overall but still really scream up top.
I’ll have to give the S Types another listen since they come so highly recommended!
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve thought of this as well. If I still have my current setup when my 5/60 is up, I might consider long tubes. Is there a worthwhile butt dyno difference with LTHs?
I can’t really answer that question, as I installed my LTHs and X-pipe (paired with factory Active Exhaust), and had the car tuned for 93, Flex and Nitrous all at once with just 472 miles on the odometer. They do sound killer though.

I’ve since replaced the AE with a Steeda axle back. I also blew my cats out a couple of months ago at the track and that’s when I installed the Vibrant 4” race mufflers in place of the cats.

Here’s what the car sounded like with the catted LTHs, x-pipe and AE setup.

Here’s what is sounds like now with the LTHs, Vibrant race mufflers, X-pipe and axle back.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
Yea I prefer a deeper tone than raspy, which is why I’ve gravitated to MBRP. I don’t give a what about drone. My hearing sucks anyway.
If you already have the H pipe, it would be hard to beat $480 for the axle backs that you can install yourself in an hour. Versus the idea of headers which are expensive and depending on your ability, might have to be done by a shop.

Just my $.02.

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Yes, MBRP Race is loud. Borla ATAK and Corsa Extreme are also really loud. If you want something louder than the stock mufflers but not 11/10 loud, Borla S Type is a great option. Definitely louder than stock but not over the top
Borla Atak is obnoxious raspy though.

Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Alright so I have the factory active on my 20 GT. I did a res delete h pipe back in May. Loved the sound, still like it a lot…. but it’s not as inspiring as it once was. I drive around in track mode everyday without fail just to have that sound im looking for. I’m thinking of MBRP Race Catback for a more aggressive sound. Will the MBRP Race be significantly louder than track mode with h pipe or are they about the same?
Go with Nxtstep Axleback. Nice deep roar without the rasp. And a lot cheaper too

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Borla Atak is obnoxious raspy though.
I guess it depends on everyone’s definition of obnoxious. The one I drove wasn’t terrible. It’s definitely raspy over 4-4,500 RPM but I don’t know that I’d say obnoxious. I’d put the Corsa Extreme and the Roush in that category personally. I like the ATAK, it’s just too loud

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
If it helps, I started with the H pipe. Thought it was too "tinny" for my liking. Added the FRPP by Borla extreme axle backs and really liked it. Added LTH and its filthy, verging on being too loud....but I love it!

OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t really answer that question, as I installed my LTHs and X-pipe (paired with factory Active Exhaust), and had the car tuned for 93, Flex and Nitrous all at once with just 472 miles on the odometer. They do sound killer though.

I’ve since replaced the AE with a Steeda axle back. I also blew my cats out a couple of months ago at the track and that’s when I installed the Vibrant 4” race mufflers in place of the cats.

Here’s what the car sounded like with the catted LTHs, x-pipe and AE setup.

Here’s what is sounds like now with the LTHs, Vibrant race mufflers, X-pipe and axle back.

That sucker sounds MEAN! 😂😂 I honestly wouldn’t be able to behave if my exhaust sounded like that!

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
If my car didn't have the Roush P2 kit under the hood, I would NOT want the added noise of headers with an exhaust. If I am going to be THAT loud, my car better be whooping 95% of the cars that want to play (at the track of course). I couldn't handle the noise if I was getting beat by 4 door cars :)

I do think the headers helped keep my CHT's at bay though. Never noticed my car getting hot in the summer before but with the cats back on the car, it sure likes to get hot on days over 95 degrees. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Car gets emissions tested this year so I will be installing the headers afterwards and buying midpipes with cats so I can slap them on for emissions testing every two years. Hoping to notice the difference when it's hot out. 245 degrees is HOT!

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If my car didn't have the Roush P2 kit under the hood, I would NOT want the added noise of headers with an exhaust. If I am going to be THAT loud, my car better be whooping 95% of the cars that want to play (at the track of course). I couldn't handle the noise if I was getting beat by 4 door cars :)

I do think the headers helped keep my CHT's at bay though. Never noticed my car getting hot in the summer before but with the cats back on the car, it sure likes to get hot on days over 95 degrees. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Car gets emissions tested this year so I will be installing the headers afterwards and buying midpipes with cats so I can slap them on for emissions testing every two years. Hoping to notice the difference when it's hot out. 245 degrees is HOT!
Dang I thought my lil 218-220 CHTs were bad! I never even thought of headers affecting them. Every 2 year emissions sounds awesome. Metro area counties in Georgia make you do that crap every year…. Part of the reason I’m hesitant to do headers anyway.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had MBRP race series on my '09 GT500. I know not apples to apples, but it was NASCAR loud. I could literally scare people with it. Most of my neighbors were not fans. I ended up having MBRP make me a set of street series to tame it down.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I had MBRP race series on my '09 GT500. I know not apples to apples, but it was NASCAR loud. I could literally scare people with it. Most of my neighbors were not fans. I ended up having MBRP make me a set of steet series to tame it down.
I have the MBRP street and I love it, although to me it's just about as loud as you can get before people would call it obnoxious, especially cold start. I have no idea how anyone could tolerate race, or a combination of any of these catbacks with long tubes.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Dang I thought my lil 218-220 CHTs were bad! I never even thought of headers affecting them. Every 2 year emissions sounds awesome. Metro area counties in Georgia make you do that crap every year…. Part of the reason I’m hesitant to do headers anyway.
Full disclosure, I have BEAT on my car since having the engine replaced at 21,000 miles. The dealer took my headers off and put my exhaust manifolds back on because of... Rules... I guess. Got the car back in May and it sat for two months while I was on vacation. Upon returning to the heat, I took it out one day (110 degrees outside) and did back to back pulls several times before the CHT's went to 245 and the temp gauge was close to being in the red. That day, I melted the CATS which had less than 3,000 miles. The dealer *DID* replace the cats under warranty after telling me that my case was technically a grey area and they may not be able to cover it. (I paid $13,500 for a new engine) My 2018 with the same setup melted them at 7,000 miles which is why they came off the new car in the first place. The car will still get hot in the summer if you beat on it but in the cooler weather she runs strong as ever! 200 miles the other day canyon carving and the CHT's stayed between 180-205 even after getting abused.

These cars are notorious at melting cats when boosted!
Sponsored