Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Buy a new one and don't look back. It's a special car regardless of what Ford does with the 500. Mine is a weekender with 5200 miles. No paint flaws. Slight rear bumper gap but nothing to get excited about. Slight oil comsumption (1 1/2 quarts total since purchased) I feel fortunate based on some of the complaints. Go read a vette forum if you want to hear some horror stories. I really wanted a c7 but couldn't do it after doing my research. I also don't own a gold chain and still have all my hair at 54 so technically I wasn't qualified to buy the vette.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think it's wrong to say not to buy this kind of car used. Why? The vast majority of them out there for sale are low mile, pristine examples. Mostly from owners who bit off more than they could chew and find the car counter-productive to being a daily driver or hoping to capitalize on what they perceive is a high-interest car with better than average resale.

Besides, this car isn't the kind of price point vehicle where the majority of them would be owned by idiots who flog it on a daily basis.

I might say this to an EB Mustang, or Focus ST, but not a GT350.

I bought mine used. I put as many miles on it in 4 months as it had in it's first 1.5 years and it's been rock solid. Not so much as a hiccup in all that time. My oil level doesn't show massive depletion, my spoiler was put on right, my master cylinder line is on properly and I've never hit limp mode.

Getting on my soap box for a minute, and not to lump your opinion into this,

What SHOULD change in the meantime is an end to all the hysteria. Every time I come here there's another 4 page thread started with the topic having more than one or two exclamation points about the sky falling on this car again....

It reminds me of how the media just went full-retard over gas shortages in Texas, causing half the damn state to bum-rush gas stations, making it even worse.

Seriously...why the drama, all the time???
You hit the quote button, so by default you just lumped me into your rant. So pertaining to drama? Does anybody find any drama in the below statement?

You can find new for MSRP or so. I wouldn't buy this kind of car used. Yes, it's worth it IMHO.

Break it in right, don't whoop on it till it's warmed up, and use common sense, you'll be fine.
If you were speaking about the forum as a whole pertaining to drama and you just can't stand it, you don't have to participate. And there is always the "ignore" feature as well.

I would never buy any performance vehicle used to include (and especially) this car unless I know how it was broken in and used. I can think of so many instances of watching people do burnouts and think its cool, cold revving engines without warming the car up, and just all around bad behavior that I would not want to be the subsequent owner. Buying a used car is playing the odds, warranty or not. Buying new you control all of the variables and the care of the vehicle.

Now, the track pack I traded in for the R, I have actually recommended people go buy that car. It was taken care of. It was broken in right and none of that other stupid crap I mentioned above.

The variable is people. You don't know how the car you are buying used was taken care of. I cringe when I watch idiots on YouTube hop in the car without a warmup and start beating on it. 5w50 is quite viscous in ambient temperatures. Many believe it has a lot to do with the failure of the OPG and subsequent engine failures.

As for your price point argument, I disagree. This kind of car is cheap for what it is. People who probably couldn't afford a car like this can because of price point of this car. Simply put this car is much more attainable than a higher end European sports car with comparable performance. Simply put, if you are stretching yourself that much where for a few thousand more you could have brand new vs used, this probably isn't the car for you.

You have your opinions and I have mine. What do you say we just leave it at that and not go back and forth over a simple opinion, ok?

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Get the GT350.

Buy a 2017 and you won't regret it.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I would go for a track pack or R, at which point the issues mentioned earlier don't really apply. I'd buy this car all over again.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I have a tech and have overheated it even once on the street. I still say go for it. Buy it new and you get a day of drivers school at the Ford Performance Racing School in Utah. Well worth the extra expense of buying new. I broke mine in hard and drive it like I stole it to this day. It doesn't use oil and has had no issues except the splitter incorrectly installed twice and a broken connector on the under seat wiring connector.

Sponsored

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hey Guys,
Wanted to get some input from the GT350 crowd regarding all of the recent issues with the Shelby.
I currently own a 2016GT which I purchased in October of last year. I have enjoyed it, but originally my goal was to get a Shelby GT350. The ADM markup was insane, along with the fact that no dealerships would even let you test drive one. I could not justify double the price without knowing if it was worth it. Fast forward to today and now there are plenty of used 2016's in the 50k range with under 10k miles. I am hesitant to upgrade due to the many issues i have seen crop up on these vehicles... ie:
1. Limp mode non track pkg vehicles (class action law suit)
2. Oil loss issues and major recall by Ford on engine oil cooler lines (8000 plus vehicles)
3. Having to add oil between oil changes- is this for real or part of the recall issues?
4. body panel issues
5. the growing list of items that need to be checked each time to take it out..
I guess I am looking for some perspective as to whether this car is high risk for major problems (especially after factory warranty is expired) or am I blowing things out of proportion? Is this that much better than the GT model and will it be reliable?
1) if you're going to track the car, then get a track package - otherwise don't worry about it and buy a tech package. I had a 16 tech and loved it. Would have kept it but I plan on tracking my car 4-6 times a year.
2) Oil line issues should be fixed on any used car (trust but verify)
3) If you're concerned about some oil consumption, don't buy this car. It's normal. My 11 GT consumed oil, my 12 boss consumed oil and my 17 350 consumes oil.
4) it's a mustang so body panels will not be perfect, but I don't think they are that bad. Dark cars seem to hide it much better.
5) other than checking the oil and tire pressures, I don't do any other "every time" checks. Car seems like any other car I've owned over the years and I just jump in and enjoy the drive. Big grin every time!

I do think many of the threads here are a bit alarmist or expectations are a bit high for a car that is bargain priced. You get exotic drivetrain, suspensension, and performance for a fraction of the cost. The car's not perfect but it's worth every penny and then some in my opinion.

If you are highly meticulous and not in it for the driving experience, maybe a used BMW or Porsche would be a better choice, but I think the quality differences are overrated. I actually like the GT350 interior better than the boring interiors of BMW for example. I or family members have owned Porsche, BMW, Audi and Merc and while I agree they may look to be made of higher quality interior parts, they have as many or more warranty issues, problems, rattles, leaks, etc. I will never own a German car out of warranty based on what I have experienced or have seen family members deal with

Well that's my 2 cents :)

Good luck with your decision.

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I got rid of my 1100whp 15GT for a new 17 GT350, couldn't be happier. The sound, the high revving motor, suspension, transmission, braking, and the appearance have me tickled pink. I also bought mine for $1000 over invoice, $58,800, dealers are willing to move these cars, just gotta do some work finding them. I don't even think I'm going to modify this one, going to enjoy her just the way she is.

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
The body panel panel issues are figments of imagination from the 'anal retentive" crowd. Those posts are always laughable.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
You hit the quote button, so by default you just lumped me into your rant. So pertaining to drama? Does anybody find any drama in the below statement?

If you were speaking about the forum as a whole pertaining to drama and you just can't stand it, you don't have to participate. And there is always the "ignore" feature as well.

I would never buy any performance vehicle used to include (and especially) this car unless I know how it was broken in and used. I can think of so many instances of watching people do burnouts and think its cool, cold revving engines without warming the car up, and just all around bad behavior that I would not want to be the subsequent owner. Buying a used car is playing the odds, warranty or not. Buying new you control all of the variables and the care of the vehicle.

Now, the track pack I traded in for the R, I have actually recommended people go buy that car. It was taken care of. It was broken in right and none of that other stupid crap I mentioned above.

The variable is people. You don't know how the car you are buying used was taken care of. I cringe when I watch idiots on YouTube hop in the car without a warmup and start beating on it. 5w50 is quite viscous in ambient temperatures. Many believe it has a lot to do with the failure of the OPG and subsequent engine failures.

As for your price point argument, I disagree. This kind of car is cheap for what it is. People who probably couldn't afford a car like this can because of price point of this car. Simply put this car is much more attainable than a higher end European sports car with comparable performance. Simply put, if you are stretching yourself that much where for a few thousand more you could have brand new vs used, this probably isn't the car for you.

You have your opinions and I have mine. What do you say we just leave it at that and not go back and forth over a simple opinion, ok?
The drama I speak of is in general, whatever happened to just enjoying the damn thing? I don't need to "not participate" because I think all the doom and gloom is a bit heavy-handed either. In fact I could say the same, like enjoy it or go bitch about it to a Chevy salesman...Most of the time I see people freaking out about their Mustang not having Lexus-like panel gaps or having to add oil in between their oil changes I just chuckle and find something more interesting to read.

I quoted your statement based on the comment you made about avoiding used cars entirely. I'm not expecting your response (You don't seem interested in anyone else's opinion anyhow), but I'm saying it anyway.

To say avoid used cars like the plague (unless it was your used car of course, based on your comment above) is kind of a judgmental stab towards anyone else who might have a used car for sale. Not sure who you think you are in this case, but you might choose to re-word your statement, especially if you believe YOURS was worth it over anyone else's. I'm sure you know the other guy selling his probably thinks the same thing, so why try to steer someone away from buying any used car as a blank statement?

This might not cost what a Porsche does, but it's still a $60,000 Mustang. Whether you believe it or not, The Average Joe and Susie Homemaker isn't out shopping for a $60,000 Mustang. These cars are enthusiast-driven and owned a majority of the time, and seeing how all of these posts lead to how we should be babying the living $%^# out these cars like checking oil every other day, tire pressures every morning after 9am, measuring panel gaps with lasers (I hope the sarcasm is duly noted here) It stands to reason that anyone, on this site especially, is treating their car correctly, for the sheer care of it or out of general fear of it blowing up on them if they don't. lol

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... These cars are enthusiast-driven and owned a majority of the time, and seeing how all of these posts lead to how we should be babying the living $%^# out these cars like checking oil every other day,
at least checking the engine oil monthly according to the owners manual. Some people do not do that.

Sponsored

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Let me offer a counterpoint to the used '16 Tech experience. I bought mine 1 year with 4900 miles and have had 0 problems (now at 9600 miles). From the Carfax report, I could see the original owner bought the car on the other side of the country and so a lot of the miles came from highway driving. And I bought it at a Porsche dealer since the guy had traded up to a 911 Turbo. This guy did not sound like he would be abusing the car, and I bet there are other used GT350s out there that are well taken care of.

The key question is, are interested in doing some work on your car? If no, then I agree with the recommendation to buy new. If yes, then you can address some of the '16 Tech shortcomings with the ton of helpful information on this forum. I have added a transmission cooler and upgraded the audio system to Android Auto. After I add a differential cooler, I should be all set. These upgrades add up to less than $3K and I bet an used '16 Tech + upgrades is cheaper than a new '17.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The body panel panel issues are figments of imagination from the 'anal retentive" crowd. Those posts are always laughable.
My R with 4400mi on it has a gap so wide on the rear passenger bumper that I can see the tabs where it connects near the tail light - and can't even fit a sheet of paper in where it meets the wheel well. That's not some horrible offense - but it's pathetic build quality that should be (and is) called out. I didn't even post about it until now, IIRC, but I read plenty of posts about it previously so when I saw it I knew what was going on and didn't think my bumper was going to fall off in the middle of the road.

Your post is akin to sticking your head in the mud over a real issue. What's the point of that? If you don't care about it - that's one thing, but why post a misleading statement like that?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
To say avoid used cars like the plague (unless it was your used car of course, based on your comment above) is kind of a judgmental stab towards anyone else who might have a used car for sale. Not sure who you think you are in this case, but you might choose to re-word your statement, especially if you believe YOURS was worth it over anyone else's. I'm sure you know the other guy selling his probably thinks the same thing, so why try to steer someone away from buying any used car as a blank statement?
The guy clearly stated he was voicing his opinion. Why are you attempting to dress him down for that?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.