Sponsored

Local tire shop damaged my wheels. Need advice.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
They used a Hunter 7000 mounter which is one of the best hands free mounters on the market (so I am told). I was thinking about trying to talk to the owner tomorrow and bring the car in. If they want to play hardball, I will submit an AMEX charge back and file a BBB complaint.

Edit: I believe the Hunter was the balancer machine. I believe they used a table mounter, but this one was hands free.
Ya the dsp 7000 is a standard balancer mounter from the looks of it most likely a table top, We use hunters but their the top line ones revolution and rf elite.

That looks to be a mounter contact the machine face of the oem wheels is tricky you really need to use good lube and go slowly to ensure no direct contact
Sponsored

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ya the dsp 7000 is a standard balancer mounter from the looks of it most likely a table top, We use hunters but their the top line ones revolution and rf elite.

That looks to be a mounter contact the machine face of the oem wheels is tricky you really need to use good lube and go slowly to ensure no direct contact
What type of lubricant do shops use on wheels and is this applied directly to the rim? I think this is the film that was all over my rims when I picked them up.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
What type of lubricant do shops use on wheels and is this applied directly to the rim? I think this is the film that was all over my rims when I picked them up.
We use paste but some use a liquid lube like soap water

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
We use paste but some use a liquid lube like soap water
I appreciate all your help. I guess I learned no lesson from this other than never to go to that shop again. I spent a premium ($170 with tax) to get it done right when most chain shops wanted $100-$120.

I will call the manager tomorrow and bring the car in and go from there. I am going to be polite, but if they don't take accountability, I will go after them.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Similar thing happened to me with Sams on my Frontier. At first it was only documented that one wheel was damage but after getting it home all 4 were scratched. I took detailed pictures and corresponded via E-mail. Also contacted my credit card. Went back and forth in the end they provided new wheels installed by a dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Similar thing happened to me with Sams on my Frontier. At first it was only documented that one wheel was damage but after getting it home all 4 were scratched. I took detailed pictures and corresponded via E-mail. Also contacted my credit card. Went back and forth in the end they provided new wheels installed by a dealer.
I honestly wouldn't have paid if I had known all 4 wheels were damaged. I expected it to be a 2 hour job to fix the originally spotted gash, but now it looks like this will be a 3-5 day job and I won't have a ride to work. I called my insurance and they don't provide a rental for a downed vehicle unless the claim is on my side (which I WILL NOT do).

The credit card dispute sounds like an option, but this is a mom and pop shop and I am big on supporting local businesses. Corporate chain shops on the other hand...I probably wouldn't hesitate.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I honestly wouldn't have paid if I had known all 4 wheels were damaged. I expected it to be a 2 hour job to fix the originally spotted gash, but now it looks like this will be a 3-5 day job and I won't have a ride to work. I called my insurance and they don't provide a rental for a downed vehicle unless the claim is on my side (which I WILL NOT do).

The credit card dispute sounds like an option, but this is a mom and pop shop and I am big on supporting local businesses. Corporate chain shops on the other hand...I probably wouldn't hesitate.
Doesn't matter, they damaged your rims and are responsible to fix them. They should have insurance. No reason to feel bad, you brought them business, that was your good deed.

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
You cleaned them off when you went home and spotted the damage, report immediately and refuse to let the issue go, most places unfortunately have no clue how to mount 20 inch rims and that's when the problems occur. Mine happened to a 20 inch rim as well. Especially if it's not a private business that did the damage , you'll get money for the rim damage no problems at all. It's not the guys who manage the place or mount the tires that will be paying it's the franchise. Good luck man

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You cleaned them off when you went home and spotted the damage, report immediately and refuse to let the issue go, most places unfortunately have no clue how to mount 20 inch rims and that's when the problems occur. Mine happened to a 20 inch rim as well. Especially if it's not a private business that did the damage , you'll get money for the rim damage no problems at all. It's not the guys who manage the place or mount the tires that will be paying it's the franchise. Good luck man
This is not a franchise. It's just an individual store with one location. The owner is always on site.

Hopefully when I go tomorrow, they'll agree to just repair them at a professional rim shop that I trust and get billed directly. Although new rims would be nice, I don't want my wheels to go through another mounting.

I'll update tomorrow with what happens. Thank you all! I've only been a member for 2 months and this forum is world of help.

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
This is not a franchise. It's just an individual store with one location. The owner is always on site.

Hopefully when I go tomorrow, they'll agree to just repair them at a professional rim shop that I trust and get billed directly. Although new rims would be nice, I don't want my wheels to go through another mounting.

I'll update tomorrow with what happens. Thank you all! I've only been a member for 2 months and this forum is world of help.
Lol they'll remove your tires before fixing your rims anyway.

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Good news. I spoke to the shop manager and they told me (and gave it to me in writing) that they will foot the bill for the repair. I am going to a very highly regarded wheel repair guy in my area that I know does fantastic work.

The technicians told me what caused the damage is the rubber mounts that they lean the wheels against when they take off the original tires. Accidents happen and I am happy there are people out there that take accountability when they happen.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Sorry. I had to!!!!!!!

56733842.jpg

Im happy its working out for you and the shop owner seems to be honorable. But dont settle unless you are pleased with the work from the repair shop.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Good news. I spoke to the shop manager and they told me (and gave it to me in writing) that they will foot the bill for the repair. I am going to a very highly regarded wheel repair guy in my area that I know does fantastic work.

The technicians told me what caused the damage is the rubber mounts that they lean the wheels against when they take off the original tires. Accidents happen and I am happy there are people out there that take accountability when they happen.
Small businesses like that can live or die by their reputation, so this place is smart. :)

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)

Glad to hear theyll be taking care of that for you.
Sponsored