Sponsored

Local tire shop damaged my wheels. Need advice.

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I brought my car in yesterday to a highly rated local tire shop to take off the stock 20" P Zeros and mount DWS06's and the result was a complete nightmare. Before bringing doing the work I had them inspect each wheel to document the condition which was new. Now, each wheel has varying degree of scratches and one wheel is gashed.

When I picked up the car, the manager pointed out the gash and told me he'd fix it, but I could not see the scratches since they sprayed the wheel down with a soapy water mix to supposedly "prevent additional scratches during the mounting process." I asked for a wet rag to wipe off the soapy residue and they refused to give me one.

I was able to wash the car today since the weather was above freezing, and low and behold, there were some nasty surprises underneath the residue.

How would you all go about handling this diplomatically? I am trying to keep my cool, i just cracked 1,500 miles odometer and this is the only blemish it has. I am uploading the pics of the damage and will post them shortly.
Sponsored

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
I brought my car in yesterday to a highly rated local tire shop to take off the stock 20" P Zeros and mount DWS06's and the result was a complete nightmare. Before bringing doing the work I had them inspect each wheel to document the condition which was new. Now, each wheel has varying degree of scratches and one wheel is gashed.

When I picked up the car, the manager pointed out the gash and told me he'd fix it, but I could not see the scratches since they sprayed the wheel down with a soapy water mix to supposedly "prevent additional scratches during the mounting process." I asked for a wet rag to wipe off the soapy residue and they refused to give me one.

I was able to wash the car today since the weather was above freezing, and low and behold, there were some nasty surprises underneath the residue.

How would you all go about handling this diplomatically? I am trying to keep my cool, i just cracked 1,500 miles odometer and this is the only blemish it has. I am uploading the pics of the damage and will post them shortly.
They are responsible, happened to me a year ago, bring them a quote from a wheel repair shop or a quote for a brand new wheel. Since wheels are important for safety that a new one would make you more comfortable. They paid for a new rim for me , they pointed to the damage just like they did for you and I said I will bring you a quote and they honored it.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
They are responsible, happened to me a year ago, bring them a quote from a wheel repair shop or a quote for a brand new wheel. Since wheels are important for safety that a new one would make you more comfortable. They paid for a new rim for me , they pointed to the damage just like they did for you and I said I will bring you a quote and they honored it.
This^^^^^^

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Report them talk to the manager call his bluff and tell
Him the wheels must be repaired to original condition. If need be get a quote as mentioned and present it to them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
They admitted to damaging one wheel (the gash in the last pic). The scratches were covered with whatever milky spray they use on the mounting machine to prevent mounting damage. If they had provided me something to wipe it down upon taking delivery when asked, I would have easily spotted them. My concern is they will screw me on the other wheels.

I also have time stamped photos of the wheels in their lot prior to the install showing their condition. My concern is them saying, "Those scratches were caused by you and we are only covering the gash."

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
BBB or small claims?
Neither show the manager the photos remind him they refused to assist you to clean the wheels to further inspect them and that if need be you'd then report them to the bbb and if you used a card a report to the card company and such are where it goes from there ?

Did they used a traditional table top mounter ?

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Neither show the manager the photos remind him they refused to assist you to clean the wheels to further inspect them and that if need be you'd then report them to the bbb and if you used a card a report to the card company and such are where it goes from there ?

Did they used a traditional table top mounter ?
They used a Hunter 7000 mounter which is one of the best hands free mounters on the market (so I am told). I was thinking about trying to talk to the owner tomorrow and bring the car in. If they want to play hardball, I will submit an AMEX charge back and file a BBB complaint.

Edit: I believe the Hunter was the balancer machine. I believe they used a table mounter, but this one was hands free.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I took an attorney to small claims and won. He paid LOL. Go in with as much information as possible to back up your claim.

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I took an attorney to small claims and won. He paid LOL. Go in with as much information as possible to back up your claim.
I can't afford an attorney. A replacement set in the F/S section would run $1,500-$2,000. An attorney would charge much more, especially if s/he has to appear in court.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
The best machines in the hands of an asshole ? That happened to me with a F-250. Nice 18" machined aluminum wheels. Ford dealership ruined them. I have four new ones in boxes at no charge.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I can't afford an attorney. A replacement set in the F/S section would run $1,500-$2,000. An attorney would charge much more, especially if s/he has to appear in court.
You don't need an attorney for small claims court. You present the facts. I think it was $150 to file. Got my filing fee back too. He lost. Kinda like judge Judy only without the drama.
Sponsored