Sponsored

Let's talk winter tires and wheels

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
I'll start with what I know about winter tires and then ask questions for the things I don't know.

-I know you want a really skinny tire to help cut through the snow and slush (rally racing and their tire selection in winter also proves this.)

-The Bridgeston Blizzak is the best winter tire but they have a relatively short life-span.

-The Michelin X ice Xi3 is slightly inferior to the blizzak but has better dry road manners and lasts much longer.

Question:

I have a PP mustang GT and want to run as skinny and small a tire as possible with still clearing the brembo brakes. What can I get away with? I need to buy tires and wheels so I'm not limited in any way. I'll be using the michelin snow tires.

Will this tire size work alright?

• 245/40R19
I would like to go to an 18" wheel but I don't think they will clear.
Sponsored

Last edited:

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
If you're in Germany, just get Nokians. That size will be just fine.

OP
OP

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why are they cheaper over here? I haven't looked at local tire prices yet. I have heard good things about the Hakapalita's. I'm sure I butchered the spelling.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I believe because the Nokian brand is something that is widely used in Germany if not mistaken.

If you have the PP you can get away with utilizing a 245/40/19 tire all around.

OP
OP

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michelin is also widely used in Europe. I know more about the X ice tires than I do about the Nokians.

I sold my PP wheels to a German that wanted the black ones so I can buy any wheel. Obviously the skinnier the better/cheaper for both the winter wheels and tires.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I used the Xi3 in 245/45/19 square with wheels 19x8.5 and I did perfectly fine running on those in the mild Kansas City winter where I had no more than 3" at any one-time. I was very very pleased with those. As far as ill-mannered...soft squishy flexy sidewall is what I'd call it, I didn't find anything unusual about it them though. It's a snow tire, not a performance tire and I didn't drive it as such.

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
When I had my 2016 GT PP , I installed wheels with Michelin's Alpin PA4's 255/40/19 all around. Put them on from end November till March and made a big difference in driving in "cold" temperatures. As soon as temps get below the 50's (F) = 10 C these Pirellis are worthless, not a surprise as these are high performance summer only tires. For me the Michelins Alpin PA4 are very good winter tires. On a previous car, a BMW Z4, I had Nokians winter tires and they performed very good as well.

OP
OP

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Will this tire size work alright?

• 245/40R19
I would like to go to an 18" wheel but I don't think they will clear.

It will but it will have smaller diameter than stock tires you currently have. 255/40R19 would be right on.

Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I run 245/45R19 Blizzaks. Since winter tends to become pothole central, I like the extra sidewall height to cushion things, so if the Michelins are available in 45s, I'd recommend those. Also, a few 18 inch wheels will clear the PP brakes, but not many, and they tend to be more expensive racing-oriented wheels.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
They come in various sizes all the way up 20s. Its the only snow tire ive used on my dd sti when back in my home town other then general altimax arctic which are also better then blizzacks in my opinion and are also cheaper but limited on sizes. Please believe hakkas performance is reflected in their pricing. Dont be shocked to drop 800-1000 on a set of 4.
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/
Sponsored