Sponsored

Lets talk hypethetically, All aluminum mustang!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Those truck commercials are so stupid they actually piss me off. I'm going to spring for a 50K 4X4. Then skimp on a $300 Bed liner. Then I'm gonna run right out to the local landscaping outlet. And let them drop block. From a height of 6 feet into my new 50K truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:frusty:
Sponsored

Downshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Magnetic
Those truck commercials are so stupid they actually piss me off. I'm going to spring for a 50K 4X4. Then skimp on a $300 Bed liner. Then I'm gonna run right out to the local landscaping outlet. And let them drop block. From a height of 6 feet into my new 50K truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:frusty:
I know, right?! Dumbest thing I have ever seen! :doh:

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
The Viper has an all carbon fiber body with superformed aluminum doors and it weighs around 3300 pounds. The Mustang will never weigh that much due to price targets.

Also, those weight savings for the F150 are only for the top of the line fully loaded F150s. The base F150s don't have as drastic of weight savings.

Mt-82 whine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' 5.0
Sure.
Forgeline wheels and Michellin pilot sport cup 2 $7800
ARH long tubes, off road X pipe $1500 (stock GT350 mufflers)
R rear seat delete $2100 (because I didn't wait and was the first to buy it before ford performance offered it)
DSS carbon driveshaft $1100
Recaro profi carbon seats $4800 pair (on order still waiting)
Braille part # GU1R battery $550
If Ford could throw that in a factory car for maybe half of retail price I'd be down. Hey could even skip the $4800 seats ( $2400 in this make believe scenario)

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You know those commercials are rigged to many camera cuts moving that tool box from one truck to the next. The way gm is attacking Ford you know who has the best product its the old if your not better than the competition you try and make them look bad game. Wander how there going to explain to the gm faithful when they start making aluminum Silverado's. :frusty:

Sponsored

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
Another reason Ford has switched to aluminum is to allow more options(more weight) and maintain best in class cargo and towing. The class these trucks are in have max weight limits so something has to go as they add stuff. Makes sense from a marketing perspective, why would they want to lower cargo or tow ratings to add more features. Chevy would have a field day with that. What amazes me is how ignorant the chevy/ford aluminum commercial is. No one would do that to their truck unless they hated it. Aluminum is almost exclusively in the aviation world, ya think durability matters for aircraft. How about tractor trailers. Chevy is hurting and that is why they lash out with stupid commercials. In a lot of ways Ford is the leader and the other 2 follow eventually.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason Ford has switched to aluminum is to allow more options(more weight) and maintain best in class cargo and towing. The class these trucks are in have max weight limits so something has to go as they add stuff. Makes sense from a marketing perspective, why would they want to lower cargo or tow ratings to add more features. Chevy would have a field day with that. What amazes me is how ignorant the chevy/ford aluminum commercial is. No one would do that to their truck unless they hated it. Aluminum is almost exclusively in the aviation world, ya think durability matters for aircraft. How about tractor trailers. Chevy is hurting and that is why they lash out with stupid commercials. In a lot of ways Ford is the leader and the other 2 follow eventually.
Talk about aircraft we have 21 year old pilots flying aircraft made in 1963( B-52), aircraft made of aluminum I believe aluminum is durable.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I don't know the exact numbers but Ford sells like 20 F150's per every Mustang. Much easier to invest in the truck platform as it pays itself off rather quickly.
The Profit margins on trucks is insane. For all the big three.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
The Viper has an all carbon fiber body with superformed aluminum doors and it weighs around 3300 pounds. The Mustang will never weigh that much due to price targets.

Also, those weight savings for the F150 are only for the top of the line fully loaded F150s. The base F150s don't have as drastic of weight savings.
The bigger the cab / body of the truck the more savings.

So yeah a base single cab truck might save less, than a crew cab with large bed. But it doesn't really have anything to do with being "fully loaded" or not per se.

I believe ford did that to the f150 to help meet newer CAFE MPG standards.
That's a big part of it. Also helps towing & payload ratings, if you lose the weight off the truck, then you can haul more with that same engine, suspension & brakes.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I weighed all my parts vs stock.

wheels and tires were 12/8 f/r less so 40 lbs WInter set. Summer set may be less of a saving since theyre wider etc.
coilovers and all suspension bits over 55 lbs
corsa i cant recall but i think around 35 lbs

base gt with recaros. so some weight there from seats vs power leather. Theyre heated and cooled but thats just a standard feature of cloth :)

No premium, the weight of shaker amps, harness and other gimmicky electronics.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Just by going with 20 lb wheels you can save 50 lbs from a gtpp and 30 lbs with exhaust. I am sure Ford will find a way to shed some weight. Worse case scenario would be going back to at least s197 weight figure.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Sure.
Forgeline wheels and Michellin pilot sport cup 2 $7800
ARH long tubes, off road X pipe $1500 (stock GT350 mufflers)
R rear seat delete $2100 (because I didn't wait and was the first to buy it before ford performance offered it)
DSS carbon driveshaft $1100
Recaro profi carbon seats $4800 pair (on order still waiting)
Braille part # GU1R battery $550
You do race this car regularly, correct?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I was able to get our autocross car down to 3,460 with a quarter tank of gas.

Forgestart 19 x 10
Lithium pros 9 lb smart battery
Gibson x pipe
Burns mufflers 5 lbs each btw
Willwood 2 piece 15" front rotors
Willwood lightweight 6 piston callipers
Willwood 2 piece rear rotors
Willwood rear brake calipers
Sparco Seats and rails
JRI Aluminum bodied shocks & struts
Coil over front with camber plates
Weight jacker rear with 2-1/2 coils

Ford could get some easy weight out of the car with a lighter flywheel, exhaust, wheels and 2 piece brake rotors. One thing I wish ford would do with the mustang is put the battery in the trunk like all BMW's

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Having a base car vs a premium is huge in itself. I'm not sure when you take into consideration fluid and affiliated parts whether the manual or automatic is lighter (i'm guessing manual), but a base GT 6 speed has to be the lightest of the light. I would assume the PP option adds a bit of weight. But considering the benefit's its well offset.
Sponsored