Sponsored

Leaking FP cooler clamp

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Perfect track day at MSR to test out the FP cooler addition. Solid first session and then as the trans started to warm up I turned on the pump. Good for about 5min and then it started to get squirmy around the bends. Thought it me getting used using track mode for first time and then lost it exiting on to the straight. Went straight into the runoff, smooth grass thankfully and no damage. Come to find out that the hot line running to the FP cooler was leaking like crazy and dripping fluid on the tire.

Shop that did the work used a metal radiator hose clamp. Tight as hell but still leaking. Is it possible the hot fluid from the trans is loosening the seal. Cold return to trans has no sign of a leak.

My question is since the FP cooler is not threaded what is a solid leak proof fix?

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I'd use the factory lines and have AN fittings brazed to the hard line portion and then flexible custom AN lines run off from that.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are clamps that are designed for high pressure lines that might help you if you really want an inexpensive option. They have a wider metal band with no perforations in it and a better adjustment/tightening mechanism. Any auto parts store will have them.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the line is plugged. There's no reason for pressure in the line.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Sorry if you already know this, but there is no OEM "FP cooler hose clamp." The male fitting/nipple on the FP transmission oil cooler is NOT designed to have a hose with a hose clamp on it. It is designed to have a metal connection similar to the engine oil cooler. You can buy hoses with the correct connections on them, but they are made to match up to the Track/R trans with internal cooler, so will still need to do a non OEM modification, but AN fittings will work well.

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
I used a metal clamp and a Gates heat shrink hose clamp. The metal clamp is after the lip of the radiator connector, and the Gates hose clamp is before the lip. I have run the pump at 2 track events and a handful of hot summer day highway commutes. I have not detected any leaks but I have not done a close investigation to confirm there is not a small leak either.
connection.jpg

OP
OP
ducatismo

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thanks guys for the feedback. Shop welded AN fitting today should be a solid set up now. I have another track day next weekend so will report back with the outcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ducatismo

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I think the line is plugged. There's no reason for pressure in the line.
I assumed that with heat from the transmission there would be a increase in pressure and that could have pushed the line out. Dealer indicated that the transmission has a pressure bleed valve. Can anyone confirm that?

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I assumed that with heat from the transmission there would be a increase in pressure and that could have pushed the line out. Dealer indicated that the transmission has a pressure bleed valve. Can anyone confirm that?
Trans fluid flows more easily as it gets hotter, so with a fixed-speed pump and a cooler circuit that has no major restrictions to flow, pressure would drop as the fluid heats up.

However, if the hose can't handle the heat, then it'll leak when it gets hot, pressure or not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There's a vent tube that prevents the transmission from being pressurized due to temperature changes.
Sponsored