LE owners: Will you mod or not mod?

frriveramd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th LE #467
Mine will be modified as soon as I get it. Shooting for 800rwhp since my previous 2011 GT/CS had 702 rebounds.
Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
These two statement are rubbish. First, you, nor anyone, can predict what will and won't be collectible. Do you think if anyone suspected they would get millions for a cobra, that so many would have been abused and rotted in barns? Future collectibility is a finicky animal. You, nor anyone else, can predict that. I will agree that cars in general are a terrible investment as future profit.

And for the second pile, old guys in the 90's said the same shit about fox body cars. Too complicated, too much electronics, too much blah blah. All horse shit. People are restoring them every day just like old guys did to their cars they grew up with in the teens, 20's, 30's and so on. These cars will be just as restored as any car from any year that people desired when growing up. General public joes are getting more and more in tune (especially younger generations) and figuring out how to interface with this stuff. When obd-2 came out, people swore it was the end of hot rodding because you can't tune cars now and oh my goodness the sky is falling. Guess what, it's happening.

I swear I hear the same shit every generation and it keeps getting proven wrong time and time again. At auctions every year, record prices are set on then ugliest and least sought after vehicles and some nice, highly collectible things flop. It's a finicky market but it will keep going and people will find a way.
The only rule I find to remain true is that anything labeled "Limited" or "Collector" usually isn't. There's too many people the extra cash will snap them up and the market will be full of very clean or better examples. The reason AC Cobras are expensive is that there aren't many because nobody thought they would be collectible later and used them for their purpose and destroyed so many. I knew I should have bought a few Yugo's in 1985!

Plus, to me cars are made to be enjoyed. I don't ever want to be that guy that rolls out a car from a barn that has 8 miles on it and is 50 years old. I could die tomorrow, so today I'm going to enjoy my toys. :D

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Plus, to me cars are made to be enjoyed. I don't ever want to be that guy that rolls out a car from a barn that has 8 miles on it and is 50 years old. I could die tomorrow, so today I'm going to enjoy my toys. :D

Yep. I haven't hidden the fact that mine is my family car. Baby seat in the back and planning on supercharging it. It's gonna get something put on it that collectors hate. MILES! It's gonna have snot and chocolate on the louvered glass, and all. I will keep the rear seat covered with a thick towel under the car seat though. I had that in my 11.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The only rule I find to remain true is that anything labeled "Limited" or "Collector" usually isn't. There's too many people the extra cash will snap them up and the market will be full of very clean or better examples. The reason AC Cobras are expensive is that there aren't many because nobody thought they would be collectible later and used them for their purpose and destroyed so many. I knew I should have bought a few Yugo's in 1985!

The ones that appreciate tend to have very low volume with some real bespoke touches. The BMW 1M had some serious bodywork revisions, high-end suspension gear and a sought after powertrain/drivetrain combo. Those things don't even associate with the word depreciation. In fact a lot of them went for over sticker after some decent mileage has been tacked on. Less than 1,000 models ended up stateside.

The LE has some really cool features like the quarter windows, wheel finish, and unique interior touches, but the rest of the body is otherwise very similar and the volume isn't that limited relatively speaking. I can't see them appreciating unless they're garage queens.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
The ones that appreciate tend to have very low volume with some real bespoke touches. The BMW 1M had some serious bodywork revisions, high-end suspension gear and a sought after powertrain/drivetrain combo. Those things don't even associate with the word depreciation. In fact a lot of them went for over sticker after some decent mileage has been tacked on. Less than 1,000 models ended up stateside.

The LE has some really cool features like the quarter windows, wheel finish, and unique interior touches, but the rest of the body is otherwise very similar and the volume isn't that limited relatively speaking. I can't see them appreciating unless they're garage queens.
Yeah, one of my coworkers bought a used 1M for about $10K over MSRP a year and 15k miles later. :shrug: BMW fans are crazy though.

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, one of my coworkers bought a used 1M for about $10K over MSRP a year and 15k miles later. :shrug: BMW fans are crazy though.

I know a few. I'm not sure if crazy fits or if stupid is more appropriate. Lol

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
Yep. I haven't hidden the fact that mine is my family car. Baby seat in the back and planning on supercharging it. It's gonna get something put on it that collectors hate. MILES! It's gonna have snot and chocolate on the louvered glass, and all. I will keep the rear seat covered with a thick towel under the car seat though. I had that in my 11.
Yes. :clap2:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Your friend can probably sell it for near what he bought it if he takes care of the thing.
I know a few. I'm not sure if crazy fits or if stupid is more appropriate. Lol
I'll never understand why car enthusiasts have to make jabs at others just because of a brand association. :shrug:

Oh well, I love 'em all.

Arpster

15 GT LE Kona Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodg Durango
My #806 will go in the garage with a nice cover and come out on special weekends only. NO MODS will be made. I will be the one that try's the low mileage investment route and really enjoy the days I take it out. Only time will tell

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
I agree with everyone here honestly.

Yes the these stangs are mostly the same as the stock GT+PP then add "lipstick" as some say. No other mustang comes with that "lipstick", but the aftermarket will quickly replicate it.

It seems we also keep forgetting the LE gets the front sway bar and rear brake upgrades as far as the known performance difference people are claiming is "required" for a collectors car. I don't understand why it has to be an engine or transmission difference to give it collector's value ?Granted you can add the sway bar and brakes in as a mod also but but you could do the same for engines and transmissions. Ultimately what seems to matter is it didn't come from Ford and it didn't come Stock exactly the same as the produced car. Coupled with limited production and even more limited people caring for the car without destroying it.

To answer the original question, I'm going to mod mine. Nothing major though. Just some appearance changes I always wanted to do. Any thing I do will be easily reversible without damaging or cutting anything. I'll also be driving my car. A lot. But I've heard a lot about the 5.0 engine and coupling that with the care I'll give it I have little doubt it'll last. I don't really intend on selling mine though. As I've said before (and brent seems to being intending the same) I'll be keeping mine as an heirloom essentially. At the end of the day, whether it's collectible or not, it's a car. I'm choosing to make this a VERY special car to me beyond it being an LE. I hope to create a lot of memories with it that will make it more valuable than the MSRP+$10k i'll be paying for it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I appreciate all the answers and the debates and respect everyones decisions. As my track record has shown.... i don't tend to keep my mustangs long. To be clear, I haven't kept any of my 2010 to 2014 Mustangs long. I love the body style of those but to be honest the interior has been .... lacking. The 2015 however has me excited about a new Mustang for the first time in a long time. The new body plus the new interior plus the LE exclusive pieces have really got me EXCITED!!! This one I think is a keeper for awhile. I have sons that are gonna be driving soon and they are already asking if they will be able to drive it. Of course....as long as I am in the car. I taught my daughter to drive a manual on my 2013 GT500 so I'll teach the boys on the LE.

I will say....this car will not be a daily driver as I had originally intended. I have a 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid that my company is ordering that will be the DD. So the LE will be the weekend date car / special occasion and car to drive when I'm not driving for work. I put a very quick 19k miles on my 2014 GT since April 2014 and just did not want to do that to this car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE #81 WW Manual
I'll be modding mine but im going to keep all the original parts. Aswell as trying to stick to FRPP and Roush only if possible

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll never understand why car enthusiasts have to make jabs at others just because of a brand association.

Sorry. That was a joke. Guess you have to know me. Hard to express and read emotion through words.

I will eventually get me a little pickup truck for work and hauling duties but the LE will still be my primary driver even then

A.J.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT "Competition Orange" PP
I will not make any mods to my LE (#938 WW). This is a special car so I plan to leave it that way. However, I always say do what you like and enjoy it! I believe the only way for these cars to completely retain their value is to put them in storage and never drive them, but what fun would that be?
If you plan on an exhaust, be prepared to cut, the factory exhaust is a one piece unit from the cats back, so if you want an axle back you have to cut the mufflers off.
If I had an LE that's all I'd do. A catback wouldn't require any cutting or welding.
Sponsored