Sponsored

Laguna Seca Lawsuit: Hagerty bringing the sass

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
This reminds me of a former coworker of mine. He is not a golfer but loved the beauty of a golf resort so he bought a house on the dogleg of a hole at the course, then constantly complained about all the balls that ended up hitting his house and landing in his yard. LOL. He unsuccessfully tried to make the course pay for his broken windows and in the end had to pay a contractor to upgrade his windows to some sort of lexan or something that wouldn't break when a ball hit them.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Noise complaints have been shutting down tracks all over CA for decades. The most recent example is Fontana drag way and now the Nascar track/Fontana as a whole.
I don't think that had anything to do with noise. It had to do with money and NASCAR dumping the property to commercial real estate developers. ACS (RIP) was surrounded by industrial zones

GT-DM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redd
Vehicle(s)
GT500 & other heaps
Riverside International Raceway was not because of a law suit. Someone bought the place thinking it would be a bigger money maker as houses and a mall or two. They closed it down, started building, then the city/county told them no houses unless you build the infrastructure, including a new sewage treatment plant. It slowed their construction down by years, and who knows if they made their money back as the recession and a gang/crime problem made real estate tank in the area. Seems the crips and bloods started moving out there and started making meth, etc.
I'm well aware.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
People are idiots. Long live Laguna.

As someone who grew up within a stones throw of a small circle track, I always loved the noise. Back in the day there were some NASCAR (or whatever the sub-series was) events that were really cool. I’d driven my Mustang on the track several times and gone for events throughout my youth. Unfortunately the track lost the battle recently and was bulldozed to become a residential area. So stupid.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't think that had anything to do with noise. It had to do with money and NASCAR dumping the property to commercial real estate developers. ACS (RIP) was surrounded by industrial zones
The facility as a whole, yes correct. Sold/Demolishing it to create warehouses.

The drag strip however, was originally closed due to noise. Wall was built, drag strip relocated to other side of the park and they were still in court over noise. It's ridiculous.

So to the streets they take it. SMH

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Ontario Motor Speedway was a city debacle, as they closed it down just as it started to make money, then the land sat vacant for over ten years before they started building Ontario Miles Mall. It was what, 25 years until they build the track at Fontucky, and now that's closing?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
People still live in Calimexistan, thought they all moved to Colorado and Arizona
I wish you guys would do a better job at disparaging and putting down California because obviously it’s not working since over 1/2 of the license plates at boring and ugly places such as Big Sur, Yosemite, etc, are from our of state. A lot of floridians plates for sure
Don’t come to California please, the weather suck, we only have 7 road racing track and at 1% our property taxes are out of control.
on top of that the scenery is ugly, the food atrocious and having beaches, mountains and desert to choose from is a real headache….😁

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
The facility as a whole, yes correct. Sold/Demolishing it to create warehouses.

The drag strip however, was originally closed due to noise. Wall was built, drag strip relocated to other side of the park and they were still in court over noise. It's ridiculous.

So to the streets they take it. SMH
Huh - the surrounding area is all pretty heavy industrial - ridiculous indeed.

bronco100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
The track needs to stop trying to appease these neighborhoods. If you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Drivers also need to stop trying to appease the track by complying with these regulations!

And we all need to call out and publicly shame drivers that support these kind of shenanagins. I'll start -

The actual cofounder of the motorsports series Gridlife has stated "The older I get, the quieter I make my cars. And I wish our drivers did the same." in a discussion in regards to Laguna Seca decibel restrictions. The former Gridlife Street Class Champion agreed, stating "I am happy to see more tracks implement sound limits".

To me, this is weak-minded and against the spirit of the sport. It'd be like being an NFL player and saying the crowd should be fined if they are cheering above a certain decibel limit. There used to be such a rule in the NFL, actually. It was done away with in 2007 because everyone realized that was a stupid rule. It's the exact same thing here.

Stop letting the drivers complain about noise. Stop letting the tracks implement noise regulations. And what you'll find is, you won't have homeowners complain about the noise when they realize that no one cares, we aren't going to hear their complaints, and they will have to live with their decision to buy a house near a race track (or move elsewhere).

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The track needs to stop trying to appease these neighborhoods. If you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Drivers also need to stop trying to appease the track by complying with these regulations!

And we all need to call out and publicly shame drivers that support these kind of shenanagins. I'll start -

The actual cofounder of the motorsports series Gridlife has stated "The older I get, the quieter I make my cars. And I wish our drivers did the same." in a discussion in regards to Laguna Seca decibel restrictions. The former Gridlife Street Class Champion agreed, stating "I am happy to see more tracks implement sound limits".

To me, this is weak-minded and against the spirit of the sport. It'd be like being an NFL player and saying the crowd should be fined if they are cheering above a certain decibel limit. There used to be such a rule in the NFL, actually. It was done away with in 2007 because everyone realized that was a stupid rule. It's the exact same thing here.

Stop letting the drivers complain about noise. Stop letting the tracks implement noise regulations. And what you'll find is, you won't have homeowners complain about the noise when they realize that no one cares, we aren't going to hear their complaints, and they will have to live with their decision to buy a house near a race track (or move elsewhere).
So basically ignore the problem and the problem go away ? Very smart strategy.
To a point the noise limit, as long that it is a reasonable one, has no impact on how much fun you can have racing or open tracking a vehicle
Loud pipes don’t save lives, they simply annoy a lot of people

bronco100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good, let em be annoyed.

Also, I don’t know what you mean when you say I’m suggesting we “ignore the problem”. I’m saying there is no real problem. The only problem is people complaining. And yes, those people should be ignored.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Good, let em be annoyed.

Also, I don’t know what you mean when you say I’m suggesting we “ignore the problem”. I’m saying there is no real problem. The only problem is people complaining. And yes, those people should be ignored.
Did you know that loud noise attack brain cells and the cognitive system?
Of course you do, you’re the perfect example

bronco100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you know that loud noise attack brain cells and the cognitive system?
Of course you do, you’re the perfect example
Ad hominem attack detected, your opinion is invalid. And no it doesn’t “attack brain cells” but of course it can impact cognitive ability. It’s part of the sport. Guess what - heat, G-forces, and high stress can also impact cognitive ability. Should we take those out of racing too?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Good. If they bought or built a house in the vicinity of something that annoys them (and which was there long before they were), then they deserve to be annoyed. Serves them right. I won't shed a tear for them.
Sponsored

Last edited: