Sponsored

Koni is here!

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone still looking, give Brother's Performance a call. I ordered mine from them and they shipped them to me as soon as they hit the door from Koni. They may have some more in stock or on order.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Thanks to the excellent support from Steeda, I got the correct installation information for the shocks. I for one, will be fixing my installation. :eek:

The correct assembly order is:

Damper body
Nylon washer
Bump stop
Dust boot
Rear damper mount
Koni provided spacer
Jam nut 1
Jam nut 2

I also got this pic:
koni.jpg

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I wonder if using a half inch bit gives too much slop (.7mm). I don't think I've ever seen a 12mm bit. I might have to special order one or check Grainger.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if using a half inch bit gives too much slop (.7mm). I don't think I've ever seen a 12mm bit. I might have to special order one or check Grainger.
I used a 1/2" bit and not looking back. ;)

Sponsored

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
THANKS jbailer. I will be fixing my install as well. I might go ahead and add a washer on the bottom mount also, as a little extra precaution.

Also, I am starting to thing the full firm - 1/4 turn might be a bit too much for daily driving. The car handles great but it is a bit bumpy sometimes.

I haven't tried full soft yet so I will go to that from full hard and see how that is. From there, I will progress back to some middle setting to my liking.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks guys for all the comments. I have decided to stick with my Ford Racing strut/shock setup til the kinks get worked out of the Konis. I find it funny that Koni put out this product that needs modification. Hopefully when I order mine they will have this fixed. :)

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't think they will be messing with the shock any, however, they may include a modified upper mount in the kit or a 12mm drill bit. ;)

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for all the comments. I have decided to stick with my Ford Racing strut/shock setup til the kinks get worked out of the Konis. I find it funny that Koni put out this product that needs modification. Hopefully when I order mine they will have this fixed. :)
Which kinks are you waiting to get worked out? The only thing was the lack of instructions but we have those now. I'm sure modification of the upper mount will always be needed unless they start providing it. I'm sure if they provide the upper mount it will make the kit more expensive than if you bought the mounts from Ford and drilled them yourself or just drill your current mounts. I never plan to put the stock shocks back on the car. If I ever did, I would buy a new set of shock mounts as they are normal wear items anyways. Personally, I think we're all set.

edit: Plus it will always need to be modified because this is an adjustable shock so the rod needs to be thicker to get the adjustment rod inside.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
They will not. Reason for that was clearly stated and the part you need to modify is an easily replaceable wear item.

Sponsored

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Which kinks are you waiting to get worked out? The only thing was the lack of instructions but we have those now. I'm sure modification of the upper mount will always be needed unless they start providing it. I'm sure if they provide the upper mount it will make the kit more expensive than if you bought the mounts from Ford and drilled them yourself or just drill your current mounts. I never plan to put the stock shocks back on the car. If I ever did, I would buy a new set of shock mounts as they are normal wear items anyways. Personally, I think we're all set.

edit: Plus it will always need to be modified because this is an adjustable shock so the rod needs to be thicker to get the adjustment rod inside.
Still cannot believe that Koni is asking their customers to modify the upper mount. Oh well it is what it is. You would think they would supply the upper mount to make this plug n play. I do have drill and the bits and I will drill if by the time I get these they have not supplied upper mount with their shocks.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Still cannot believe that Koni is asking their customers to modify the upper mount. Oh well it is what it is. You would think they would supply the upper mount to make this plug n play. I do have drill and the bits and I will drill if by the time I get these they have not supplied upper mount with their shocks.
The way I look at it, the upper mounts are cheap for us to buy. If they have to buy them and modify them for us, we pay them to do it, it will drive the cost up. My labor is MUCH cheaper and it's very easy to do.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Cost me like $17 each before shipping :shrug:

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The way I look at it, the upper mounts are cheap for us to buy. If they have to buy them and modify them for us, we pay them to do it, it will drive the cost up. My labor is MUCH cheaper and it's very easy to do.
They mass produce these. Cost would be higher but not that much more. Some of us just want to open a box and install. I will call them next week. This is on my list but not within the next 2-3 months. I also want to give Bilstein a call to see if they plan on producing for us. For now the Ford racing is ok nothing special but much much better that the stock crap PP suspension I had.

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I set them at full stiff - 1/4 turn and the car felt really planted... however that setting was a bit too stiff for daily driving in the city and potholes and whatnot.

I am now running full soft + 1/4 turn and now the ride quality is amazing for daily driving. It is "floatier" than the stiffer settings, but the car still handles flawlessly. The compression valving seems to be very well matched to my Vagtland Sport spring rates. (Front: 185-275 lb/in. Rear: 800-880 lb/in.)

Similar to the Eibach Pro-Kit(Front: 200-314 lb/in. Rear: 800-914 lb/in.) that is recommended for the kit.

I will probably go to a new spring setup in the near future to see if handling improves as this will be a DD/occasional track car and will progress to a track car later down the road.

My recommendation so far is soft to middle for daily driving on harsher roads and middle to stiff until properly dampened for highway/track. Full stiff may have too much damping depending on your spring rate. This is good as it seems like they can dampen some higher spring rates as well.

*Spring rates per American Muscle*
Sponsored