Intake Manifold Failure!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
It's just tip in/part throttle knock which doesn't hurt anything, it's just annoying. Once you give it the sauce it instantly cleans up. The FP tune doesn't reduce the knock sensor sensitivity, but it does bump up the knock recovery rate a decent bit over stock making it more likely to be audible.
When it happens, it does pull timing. Logged it myself. I could always hear it launching from 1st gear. Probably due to getting the clutch engaged too soon to get the car moving. If I stayed on the throttle and clutched out later, I could in most cases avoid it. But the warmer it got outside, the worse it would be. I was running 94 octane as well, so I gave up on it. I think half the problem was the airbox itself. It didn't seal nicely to the hood and all that hot air just made it more prone to ping.

I run an Injen intake now. It's a beautiful sealed design. I toyed with the idea of using it with the PP2 tune but that would require me to modify the intake MAF tube. Cutting the adapter inside and there would be no going back. Then somehow getting it to connect to the big throttle body. That's an expensive experiment if it doesn't work.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
When it happens, it does pull timing. Logged it myself. I could always hear it launching from 1st gear. Probably due to getting the clutch engaged too soon to get the car moving. If I stayed on the throttle and clutched out later, I could in most cases avoid it. But the warmer it got outside, the worse it would be. I was running 94 octane as well, so I gave up on it. I think half the problem was the airbox itself. It didn't seal nicely to the hood and all that hot air just made it more prone to ping.

I run an Injen intake now. It's a beautiful sealed design. I toyed with the idea of using it with the PP2 tune but that would require me to modify the intake MAF tube. Cutting the adapter inside and there would be no going back. Then somehow getting it to connect to the big throttle body. That's an expensive experiment if it doesn't work.
Yeah, it does pull a lot of timing. It's just interesting that at part throttle it let's it keep doing it until like 5 or 6 degrees are pulled out in some cases. I wish so much a PP1 option was available for gen 3 that preserved the stock intake, but here we are lol

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
I’m questioning how do you actually fail in Cali ?
What’s the Cali emission test protocols ?
Just because company XYZ can’t ship to Cali doesn’t stop my personal associates in another state from shipping company XYZ parts to me.
What’s stopping a person from having a CARB EO tune for test lane then loading an Al Capone tune after passing test ?
cash!
I think anyone interested in obtaining serious power and multiple tunes in CA is better off going FI.

I however just want to drive this car for shits on backroads and piss off neighbors.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)

Interesting,
I might have to look into really sealing up the box via the hood.

get some pool noodle and press it over the edges lol.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
CJ Pony Parts has charged my card.

est ship date is 3/30.

We shall see what occurs. I am excited for it. But if it becomes evident that it is going to be problematic I might go the GT350 mani + wiring harness on the factory mapping.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I might go the GT350 mani + wiring harness on the factory mapping.
It's 350 manifold plus VMP throttle body adapter and factory CAI to run the factory calibration. The wire adapter is convenient.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
It's 350 manifold plus VMP throttle body adapter and factory CAI to run the factory calibration. The wire adapter is convenient.
Good catch, forgot about that.

what you’ve stated might be my next move if the PP3 is a timing/ignition disaster.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Then a PMAS No Tune Cold Air and an Al Capone tune when not OBD testing.
Easy Peasy LOL.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Then a PMAS No Tune Cold Air and an Al Capone tune when not OBD testing.
Easy Peasy LOL.
I won’t lie that sounds awesome!

As stated earlier I want to divert my future discretionary funds towards a 2 wheeled venture so I’ve got to take it easy LOL.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
As stated earlier I want to divert my future discretionary funds towards a 2 wheeled venture so I’ve got to take it easy LOL.
I love my scooter but everytime I ride it becomes a game of dodge ball. Everyone is playing with their phones or infotainment screens.

Sponsored
OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I love my scooter but everytime I ride it becomes a game of dodge ball. Everyone is playing with their phones or infotainment screens.
As a young man in my mid20s and no dependents it’s the danger I crave.

I actually fully intend on just getting a 300-400cc naked bike to learn/screw around on in 2025.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to street ride get at least 650 cc as they have enough weight you wont get blown all over the road by trucks ect...

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to street ride get at least 650 cc as they have enough weight you wont get blown all over the road by trucks ect...
You definitely aren’t the first to tell me that.

Are the 300-400cc bikes really that slow at highway speed? I thought they had enough torque to get you rolling/moving pretty aggressively on the freeway.

my general lack of self control scares me away from larger bikes truthfully

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've gotten so I stay away from town entirely when out on one of the bikes, too many idiots. Out in the sticks you mostly only have to worry about deer and wild turkeys.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Are the 300-400cc bikes really that slow at highway speed?
They are OK if you are city riding only, most are topped out at freeway speeds.

The real problem is they weigh nothing and a slight breeze can push you into the other lane when at speed.

Buy a 250 CC YZ type off road bike and ride the trails. When you can toss it around like a base ball, then get a street bike.
Sponsored