Sponsored

If Ford offered an Automatic in the GT350, Would you be interested?

Would you consider buying an Automatic GT350

• Yes, I would consider purchasing an Automatic GT350

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • Yes, I would consider a DSG type Automatic GT350

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • No way. I only want a Manual in my GT350

Votes: 113 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford Performance is now what all the performance divisions are called (SVT, Ford Racing, etc) so its not just the parts division anymore its the vehicles, the race division and the parts.
Fair enough. Though parts were still shipping in cartons labelled 'Ford Racing Performance Parts' as recently as late last year (I'm waiting on warmer weather to get a number of FRPP items out of their boxes and onto the car).

Heh . . . even the cars have been advertised in the FRPP catalogs, complete with part numbers. Really big/really heavy/pretty complex/really expensive parts.

I too am a fan of the manual but these new automatics are faster not only in the straights but in the corners too..
I suspect you're referring to Chevy's video release showing the ZL1/A10 at the Nurburgring. Unless the A10 is noticeably lighter than the M6 - which I seriously doubt - it's not actually faster in the corners. Still just faster between them, and a 150+ advantage in both HP and ft*lbs over the Z/28 (plus the A10's tighter gear spacing) covers for a lot. It'll be interesting to see if an all-out ZL1/MT video from GM ever surfaces, or if it'll be suppressed in an effort to influence more people into going with the AT even for road course duty.

if driving enjoyment is more of a priority (which it is) than i'll keep my manual
:cheers:

Norm
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Manuel shifting is becoming increasingly rare as only the die hards must have them. MFG's have realized wives or less skilled drivers or simply those that have the money but no desire to go fast have a say and MGF's must offer an option as not to hinder sales. I think an auto is the natural progression for 2 reasons. Quicker numbers to publish to sell cars and broader audience to sell cars. At the end of the day what do MFG's want to do? Sell cars

Beyond opinion and into fact:

You must also remember that Ford and Chevy co-designed the 10spd auto which will ended up in the 6th gen camaro ZL1 which shifts quicker than the Porsche PDK. The other camaro's have tremec TR3160 which is the same as the GT350.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-3160_transmission

The line is clearly drawn that if both Camaro and GT350 have a TR3160 so both should be able to physically run the 10-spd auto.

The article below cites 2018 as the year the co-developed 10-spd end up on a ford and mustang specifically. No other 6th gen camaro even has an option for the 10-spd other than the ZL1 presumably due to cost. Apply the same market reasoning to the mustang and only the 2018 GT350 should offer the option. I think no Mustang GT owner complains about their auto as they buy the manual and those seeking more performance buys the GT350. The rest of the audience want the look and persona include the convertibles and there is no real issue with the current auto. With Trump in office with his EPA views and the hybrid mustang coming out Ford won't spend the extra money discontinuing the current auto to have the 10-spd across the board to meet CAFE numbers which come with tax credits to offset cost. Ford is clearly dropping combined MPG CAFE numbers from all the cars they make to get tax credits to target the tax credits for Hybrids. They need this for asian and european markets as cars are taxed on engine displacement and emissions production. The Cali folks will also buy in domestically as well so that will be a broad world offering due to costs.

In any event all roads points to a 10-spd for 2018. The manuals will hold their value for the purist so I don't think of the auto as a threat rather just an option. The GT350 is not a drag car so manual is lighter for the track while the auto quicker shifting which should be about equal. The only SLIGHT derailment would be if Ford introduces a GT500 than as a drag car the auto makes the only sense with power number exceeding 700hp. However consider the higher production numbers of the non-serialized ZL1 vs GT350 limited serialized production it also makes sense that both GT350 and GT500 getting the auto would be best to offset costs and justify production.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/07/mustang-camaro-to-use-same-10-speed.html
One thing to note, is that GM is flat out full of shit about their "faster than a PDK" claim. They literally tested one minor instance where the automatic can upshift faster than the PDK, and subsequently claimed it was a faster, therefore insinuating a better, transmission than the PDK.

Not only has every single automotive reviewer debunked this by saying the PDK is still the best on track transmission, but it also is proven to have far quicker response in regards to downshifting, and upshifting in all other gears besides the 3-4 shift that GM quotes.

I believe Ferrari's new DCT's that they are using in the 488 and F12 are on par or quicker than the PDK, but I believe most still claim that the PDK has superior programming in regards to knowing what you want it to do on track.

I would have never thought I would ever write this myself...but I am voting for the automatic option as long as it matches some of the better DCT's there are on the market today. If they would put something equivalent like a Porsche 911 PDK, it would be fantastic. All my previous sports cars were manuals and I love a good shifter but I also believe we all agree that the GT350 and the R version even more so, are serious track cars, right ? A good automatic transmission would make it even a better one IMO. Ever seen a manual car winning a serious race event recently ?
And after all if both manual and automatic would be available..everyone could make his choice...and everybody would be happy...
GT350R-C just won IMSA with a manual trans... just sayin :thumbsup:

For the short run, perhaps. But I have to wonder if the GT350 can sell in big enough numbers to justify both transmission types. The Corvette (apparently 70% now fitted with AT) sells 10,000 - 20,000 total a year compared to how many GT350s?

Norm
They certainly wouldn't develop a new transmission for the car, as a DCT (Ford GT unit) would be too expensive/not be able to cope with future models with far far higher torque numbers, so the 10spd would almost certainly be the only potential auto option if they ever offered one. I would expect an increase in price not only for the auto, but also in the manual car then as well, as it would necessitate extra steps in the build line at the factory.

The Vette's have sold around 30-35 thousand the past couple of years since the intro of the C7, around the same number as the 911.

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White with Blue Stripes
no way. I had a manual in my M3, and my GT Premium. Oh, and did I mention a manual in my GT350?

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
I don't understand why Ford won't offer an automatic transmission as an option to the GT350. It's strikes me as though Ford just likes being contrary. GM offers autos with the corvette and high end camaros. Dodge does with the challenger, etc. All of the exotics do. What is it with Ford? Why do they insist on alienating a sizable (potential) customer base that would prefer an automatic? Now would be a perfect time for it - attach the new 10 speed auto to it.

Sponsored

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Americanmuscle.com spring '17 catalog has on pg. 50E a write up stating the 2018 GT350 has a 7-spd DCT auto-transmission as an option to the 6-spd manual which comes std. This 7-spd DCT auto is GT350 specific and not shared with any other platform or trim.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
not sure what to think about the dsg. i hope it's nothing like what they have in the focus...

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I havent seen that anywhere else. Did American Muscle just scoop the DCT for the GT350 and nobody picked up on it?

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
not sure what to think about the dsg. i hope it's nothing like what they have in the focus...
I'd suspect its a ZF built unit, likely the old Porsche one as the Panamera just went to a new 8spd unit.

Sponsored

Batmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X
[MENTION=29733]TTown[/MENTION], absolutely agree on 100%

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't understand why Ford won't offer an automatic transmission as an option to the GT350. It's strikes me as though Ford just likes being contrary. GM offers autos with the corvette and high end camaros. Dodge does with the challenger, etc. All of the exotics do. What is it with Ford? Why do they insist on alienating a sizable (potential) customer base that would prefer an automatic? Now would be a perfect time for it - attach the new 10 speed auto to it.
It's not really about the top-tier trims of these cars, it's about how road course focused they are. The GT350 is not supposed to be the Mustang's luxury trim or its best street-legal dragstrip trim. Never was, those functions were left to the GT500.

Chevy has the MT-only SS/1LE (not sure about the ZL1/1LE) for their road course Camaro, and had the Z/28. The ZL1 never did have a narrow road course focus about it even though it's certainly competent at that activity. It ended up heavy, way more luxurious than a serious road course car ever should be, and more suitable to having an AT version as a result.

Dodge doesn't even try to play in that arena with their Challenger. Which is kind of a shame, given what the Viper hints that they could have done.

Norm

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I wonder if that Auto Transmission would come with Active Rev Matching.

If so, I would be in interested.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This car would do nicely with a DCT as an option. I've had it in an M3 and the shifts are faster than you could do with a manual.. no matter which one you think is more fun it's true.
Sponsored