2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Yeah man Maryland roads are absolute dog sh**, but as @paulm1 said, Pennsylvania is worse.

I'm from Georgia, which apparently has some of the best roads in the country (I never was aware when I lived there). I moved to Maryland during the covid times. 2020-2021.

Driving up there, I had to always be aware of the road. Living and driving near Baltimore (I lived off Reistertown Rd if you know where that is), I could never just get in the car and ride. It was ALWAYS an event to have to watch for holes and just tore up road.

In Georgia, if I felt any imperfections in the road at all I would think it was something wrong ... Imagine my surprise to be in Maryland, and what I considered to be a bad road in Georgia was better than all the roads in Maryland.

....Then one day I drove through Pennsylvania up to Harrisburg ... LORD what is up with the roads in that part of the country?

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
...Then one day I drove through Pennsylvania up to Harrisburg ... LORD what is up with the roads in that part of the country?
I would guess it has to do with frost every winter. Water in the cracks expands as it freezes, and the maintenance budget doesn't keep up with the damage.

Also, the people making road maintenance decisions are civil engineers. There are exceptions, but most civil engineers drive an appliance with no road feel. Because my car could feel potholes in the road, one of them literally told me "That's your own fault."

I got out of the Air Force because they were making me work with that kind of pavement nerd, and not letting me change career field. 😡

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah man Maryland roads are absolute dog sh**, but as @paulm1 said, Pennsylvania is worse.

I'm from Georgia, which apparently has some of the best roads in the country (I never was aware when I lived there). I moved to Maryland during the covid times. 2020-2021.

Driving up there, I had to always be aware of the road. Living and driving near Baltimore (I lived off Reistertown Rd if you know where that is), I could never just get in the car and ride. It was ALWAYS an event to have to watch for holes and just tore up road.

In Georgia, if I felt any imperfections in the road at all I would think it was something wrong ... Imagine my surprise to be in Maryland, and what I considered to be a bad road in Georgia was better than all the roads in Maryland.

....Then one day I drove through Pennsylvania up to Harrisburg ... LORD what is up with the roads in that part of the country?
I live about 15 minutes from where you lived. I am in an area called Hampton which is part of Towson, near the Loch Raven reservoir. The problem with Pa. roads is partly due to the very many Townships that govern, versus a county and state government. Those townships have VASTLY different taxation and therefore their ability/desire to be effective when addressing the roads is impacted. There are places in the northeast that have worse weather conditions, but infinitely better roads. It's a matter of managing them properly, something Maryland is better at, but only marginally.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
So I was on my way home from golf yesterday talking to a forum member on the hands free, and hit a pothole on 702 as it is going over a bridge so there are expansion joints. When I hit it, it was so loud that the guy I was talking to commented and questioned whether I had hit something, I told him yeah, a pothole and he said "DAAAAMN!!" I took the car to a local automated car wash and they lined me up on the mechanism looking right at it and said nothing, then the guys drying the car asked if I wanted tire dressing and I said yes. The HAD to see this, and they still said nothing. This is the 3rd one in 3 years. KMC no longer makes these rims. The first time it happened I had to buy a set of 4 because the store knew that KMC didn't make them any more. I have 2 brand new back ones with a shallower dish than the two on the car, but too deep to use on the front. I see that American Muscle has a VERY similar set that I could get, but I would like to go down to a 19 inch or 18 inch rim so that I had a little more sidewall to protect the rims, but I can't find one that look similar for less than $400 a rim, and that's just SIMILAR not the same. Ugh....

20240324_120841.jpg

20240324_120039.jpg

20240324_120838.jpg
No better in Canada. Up here, the city figures the roads aren't bad enough so they dig them out, and fill them back in with the skill level of a 4 year old. I was stopped at a light and when I took off I hit one hell of a crappy repair. I Don know how I didn't see it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I see your Maryland and raise one Winnipeg.
1625729_602687836492852_1884364309_n.jpg
Sponsored