Sponsored

I don't mean to sound like a cheap b@$*@rd, but...

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
There are so many catbacks out there, the market wont be able to sustain the current price points long so dont worry. They will fall like a rock when they realize demand is miniscule.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Probably cost around 400-500 bucks in parts and labor to make a catback
I'd say maybe too. $400-450 on a good day. So markup is 200% to sell at $1,200-1,350 with them making $800-900 per system pure profit.

Ridiculous really. Markup should be 100% to $800-900

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
I don't think your being cheap. Some of us just have a budget they like to stick to so you can go on trips and do other things. :thumbsup: After spending 44k on my car I told my wife I wanted to do the exhaust, cold air and tuner. I said I would keep it under 1.5k. I got the Black Gibson Catback for 695, and JLT and Bama Tuner for 711. Stayed on budget for this year. Next year... new budget. :headbang: I still might lay down the 300 bucks for the Black Roush Spoiler. lol

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'd say maybe too. $400-450 on a good day. So markup is 200% to sell at $1,200-1,350 with them making $800-900 per system pure profit.

Ridiculous really. Markup should be 100% to $800-900
It's bullshit if you ask me.. for a full header back exhaust system most are 3 grand.. that's CRAZZYYY.. why not just fork over another 1-2k and get yourself a damn supercharger/procharger.. since when did exhaust systems cost 3/4 - 3/5th the price of a blower....

side note. bolra's cat back alone is almost 1500........ like GTFO... I don't give a shit if your catback is made from Jesus.. you can S my D for 1500...

Sponsored

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
A lot of companies pay people to "borrow" their cars to test new systems, and pay by letting them keep the system free. They aren't buying a company car for every $30k-80k car they cater to just to test an exhaust system on.

No way even with R&D some piping and 2 mufflers costs them even half of the $1200-1400 they are charging. Its pure greed, other years they were able to offer reasonably priced systems. It's price gouging for a new body style for no other reason
I understand that they will "Borrow" a car and do get that, but the bottom line is that Aftermarket car products are a MULTI BILLION dollar a year industry! I was just pointing out that it takes time and some money to make these products and some companies do actually buy their own vehicles, but you are right in that they couldn't buy every vehicle that they were going to make a product for. Thanks for clarifying that. :cheers:

Having a business means making a profit (or you don't stay in business), and while they are making a profit, they aren't selling it for more than they think that they can get or no one would buy it. It's not only the cost of materials, it's the cost of the machines that bend the tubing, it's the Guy that runs that machine's wages, his health care, 401K, dental, etc (if applicable), the rent on the building that they work in and the list goes on.

There's Much more to it than just buying tubing and bending it up and selling it. Now, if it's just the vendor that is selling the product, they are at the mercy of the company that makes it. They have to make a profit too, so the cost goes up from there, unless they are fortunate enough to be able to afford to buy in volume and have the room to stock the pieces.

Do I agree that it's priced too high, Heck yes! Once again though, you do have the option not to buy it (or as stated earlier, wait for the prices to come down).

The nice thing about any mod though is that it's not a necessity to enjoy your car, it's a Nice little present that you give yourself to enjoy your car more!

Sorry for the rant, but just my take on things.......and I don't work for an aftermarket company! :cheers:

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I understand that they will "Borrow" a car and do get that, but the bottom line is that Aftermarket car products are a MULTI BILLION dollar a year industry! I was just pointing out that it takes time and some money to make these products and some companies do actually buy their own vehicles, but you are right in that they couldn't buy every vehicle that they were going to make a product for. Thanks for clarifying that. :cheers:

Having a business means making a profit (or you don't stay in business), and while they are making a profit, they aren't selling it for more than they think that they can get or no one would buy it. It's not only the cost of materials, it's the cost of the machines that bend the tubing, it's the Guy that runs that machine's wages, his health care, 401K, dental, etc (if applicable), the rent on the building that they work in and the list goes on.

There's Much more to it than just buying tubing and bending it up and selling it. Now, if it's just the vendor that is selling the product, they are at the mercy of the company that makes it. They have to make a profit too, so the cost goes up from there, unless they are fortunate enough to be able to afford to buy in volume and have the room to stock the pieces.

Do I agree that it's priced too high, Heck yes! Once again though, you do have the option not to buy it (or as stated earlier, wait for the prices to come down).

The nice thing about any mod though is that it's not a necessity to enjoy your car, it's a Nice little present that you give yourself to enjoy your car more!

Sorry for the rant, but just my take on things.......and I don't work for an aftermarket company! :cheers:
OK Sport, show me where the $500 difference is in these two.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-competition-axleback-2015gt.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnapack-axleback-0509gt.html

Looks to me like they want to recover 100% of R&D in the first few months. Even though I have decided to stay stock, I'm going to keep an eye on these systems over the next few years to see what the market does.

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I think that many people on this thread have a good argument, however, Economies of Scale and the supply and demand principle determine pricing. This means that in time, hopefully by late spring, these prices will be way down. For now though, the price for the horsepower is rather high.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
No kidding! I'm just going to stick a playing card in my spokes!!

Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
OK Sport, show me where the $500 difference is in these two.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-competition-axleback-2015gt.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnapack-axleback-0509gt.html

Looks to me like they want to recover 100% of R&D in the first few months. Even though I have decided to stay stock, I'm going to keep an eye on these systems over the next few years to see what the market does.

Easy: The difference is in the price and that the expensive one fits the nice new shiny car. ;)

Being honest, if I was making exhaust and didn't know how many people would buy it, or had doubts (axle back in your example) I would try to recover my costs as soon as possible too. To me, axle backs are a waste and probably will be a slow seller since you have to cut. So for those that really want them, you're going to pay. They very well could be priced to drive the potential buyer to another system like the catback. My company does that all the time with items we don't really want to make and support, but there is a small market for them.

You have the choice to buy or not, but I don't think they really care if people bitch about it. It is their right to charge whatever they want.

Do you get upset about Intel/AMD CPU prices? If you consider what the die and packaging costs per unit the markup there is MUCH higher, as with many other products we all buy every day.

The manufacturer sets the price. It would be great if they sold everything for $5 profit after it's all said and done with, but that company won't be around to warranty the product they sold, or create new ones later.

My first business like so many others was born from thinking that I could supply some items cheaper than the market was offering. Boy, I learned a lot those first 3 years.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
To point out my comment about driving customers to the catback system:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-competition-catback-2015gt.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-magnapack-catback-2005-gt.html

Yes, there is a price difference, but the older system is much less complex. Also, look at the 2015 systems, catback to axleback.

Catback: $1199. http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-competition-catback-2015gt.html
Axleback: $1067. http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-competition-axleback-2015gt.html

Yeah, pretty sure they just want to stock and sell the catback in volume.