Sponsored

How would you rate your steering feedback?

Rate your steering feedback

• PP: Chatty Kathy

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • PP: Meh, normalish

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • PP: Dead to the world

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Non-PP: Chatty Kathy

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Non-PP: Meh, normalish

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Non-PP: Dead to the world

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
I've seen wildly varying descriptions of the S550 steering. I'm interested in how you perceive the feedback. You hit a bump, does the wheel twitch? Does effort increase with tire grip? Is it Novocain-numb?
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's decent for an EPS rack. Breaking the characteristics into accuracy, weighting and feedback (which I think the two could be lumped together under the "feel" category)...

Accuracy is good. There's decent on-center stability and the nose is quick to react as soon as you dial in some lock. It feels taught with very little slack. The only thing I would like is a tightened ratio if Ford was to make any changes during a facelift.

Weighting is the weakest area. There isn't an ideal preset, with normal being the most natural in terms of resistance build up yet feeling too light to be substantial. The "sport" weighting preset feels like there's some added slop rubbed into the column without any kind of positive addition to the experience.

Feedback is good for a road-going car. There's more tramlining and road camber influence than actual road texture twitching going on. You can feel enough to know that the tires are being worked up to their limits.

Overall feel is satisfactory. The combination of weighting and feedback is enough to give you confidence to push the car hard and lean on its nose. You'll know when it's getting ready to wash out, and if the rear steps out, there's enough telegraphed through the rim to let you react accordingly; it's good but it's not telepathic.

FWIW, I voted normalish, but I'd rank it a step higher if there was one listed short of "chatty Kathy." :)

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
I don't really like any of the modes all that much. Normal mode seems to have the best weight to it for everyday driving, but it doesn't seem to want to center all that well. You have to really guide it back to center when switching lanes or coming out of a turn. Not really a terrible thing but its different from any car I've driven before. "Sport" mode is just all around too heavy for me, too annoying for every day driving, but there seems to be more feedback in sport, so I would probably use it on the track.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
+1^

Return to center characteristics are poor at best.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I think the steering is great on my GTPP but my other DD is a truck so by comparison that drives like a boat.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn't vote because I haven't owned/driven any "good" cars to know the difference.

OP
OP

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
I don't really like any of the modes all that much. Normal mode seems to have the best weight to it for everyday driving, but it doesn't seem to want to center all that well. You have to really guide it back to center when switching lanes or coming out of a turn. Not really a terrible thing but its different from any car I've driven before. "Sport" mode is just all around too heavy for me, too annoying for every day driving, but there seems to be more feedback in sport, so I would probably use it on the track.
I haven't noticed a change in feedback between any of the modes - just added effort. For this reason, I greatly prefer the "comfort" mode, but am too lazy to change it every startup.

OP
OP

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
It's decent for an EPS rack. Breaking the characteristics into accuracy, weighting and feedback (which I think the two could be lumped together under the "feel" category)...

Accuracy is good. There's decent on-center stability and the nose is quick to react as soon as you dial in some lock. It feels taught with very little slack. The only thing I would like is a tightened ratio if Ford was to make any changes during a facelift.

Weighting is the weakest area. There isn't an ideal preset, with normal being the most natural in terms of resistance build up yet feeling too light to be substantial. The "sport" weighting preset feels like there's some added slop rubbed into the column without any kind of positive addition to the experience.

Feedback is good for a road-going car. There's more tramlining and road camber influence than actual road texture twitching going on. You can feel enough to know that the tires are being worked up to their limits.

Overall feel is satisfactory. The combination of weighting and feedback is enough to give you confidence to push the car hard and lean on its nose. You'll know when it's getting ready to wash out, and if the rear steps out, there's enough telegraphed through the rim to let you react accordingly; it's good but it's not telepathic.

FWIW, I voted normalish, but I'd rank it a step higher if there was one listed short of "chatty Kathy." :)
Thanks for the detail. I've had a similar experience: precise, but lacking in feel and feedback. I wonder -though- if the stiffening with the PP adds to the feedback. I'm non-pp...no tramlining, nothing. I only once felt any sort of feedback - after hitting an enormous pothole.

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
On my test drive I felt that steering feel was my least favorite characteristic of the car. I think a lot of issues would be fixed if they sped up the rack to 1:14 or even faster.

In comparison, my FRS has fantastic steering feel and it also uses EPS.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
What's the base line measured from? A 1948 Desoto? Or a 2013 Honda Pilot? Or an Audi R8?
All I can say is I can't be happier. My shit feels good and solid, handles tight and turns where I point it.
OTOH, my wife's 2013 Honda Pilot now feels like a worn out POS that is ready for the scrap pile after driving my GT. And hers only has 38,000 miles on it. For Gods sake, I have to turn a damned key to crank her antique! I have the press a button on the remote to unlock the door.
1st world problems.....

Sponsored

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I went with "normalish" but will add that I think my '15 has improved response and accuracy compared to my '13. Weighting could still be better, but the car otherwise goes where I point it without fuss or hesitation. One thing that does stand out to me is the nearly non-existent dead zone at center wheel. Love it!

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I think the steering response is just fine. Gives the car character.

You will continue to see different opinions and descriptions...I've read good and bad reviews but one thing is for certain...people still buy the car.

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
steering turn in is good
everything else sucks

feedback is like a foxbody or a 1995 f150, there is none

the 2004 x5 4.8is I owned had better road feel/feedback/response, you know whats going on when you drive a 2002 m3 or 2004 x5 4.8is and turn the wheel, you can feel the road talking to you

driving my PP mustang is like driving my 1995 f150 without the steering pump whine

I guess I will wait for a manual rack from the aftermarket

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Stock my EB PP was just so so. With my Steeda goodies and a good alignment, I really like it.
Sponsored