Sponsored

How to install halfshafts - need help!

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So I went to AutoZone and got this weird thing:

This doesn't look like the one that is on order. The one you recommended form Summit Racing looks like it goes to the inner shaft where I was prying from. This AutoZone one looks like I need to attach it at the opposite end where the hub is? Am I missing the big picture here?
That's a slide hammer kit that is made for pulling axle bearings , no offense but you are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. Like I said before get an extension or a big enough diameter punch and knock the axle out its a piece of cake. If it doesn't come out your not hitting it hard enough.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That's a slide hammer kit that is made for pulling axle bearings , no offense but you are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. Like I said before get an extension or a big enough diameter punch and knock the axle out its a piece of cake. If it doesn't come out your not hitting it hard enough.
No offense taken, I am just having a lot of trouble with it. Since you mentioned this kit was for the bearings, it will actually help once I get the axel out. I have new bearing and the seal going in also, so it will work out in the end. Will keep on whacking the axel when the weather clears up again.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
So I went to AutoZone and got this weird thing:

This doesn't look like the one that is on order. The one you recommended form Summit Racing looks like it goes to the inner shaft where I was prying from. This AutoZone one looks like I need to attach it at the opposite end where the hub is? Am I missing the big picture here?
The slide hammer is right but the rest is a gear puller.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
It leterally takes like 30 seconds to pop out the halfshafts once the hub is removed. My guess is you have wegded the snap ring into the splines. You need to tap the halfshaft back into the diff a couple times to dislodge the snap ring. Then rotate the half shaft and apply some press at several different places.Brute force is not the key here.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
It leterally takes like 30 seconds to pop out the halfshafts once the hub is removed. My guess is you have wegded the snap ring into the splines. You need to tap the halfshaft back into the diff a couple times to dislodge the snap ring. Then rotate the half shaft and apply some press at several different places.Brute force is not the key here.
Umm no. Not always. I have had many of them put up a fight and needed to use my slide hammer to remove them. Matter of fact my 2016 GT350 would not come apart also and I had to use my largest slide hammer to separate the axle from the differential. My car only had 200 miles on it when I removed all the suspension for my mods. They can be stubborn at times.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
The only time I have seen halfshafts cause a problem is when the snap ring gets boogered.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The slide hammer is right but the rest is a gear puller.
Yea, Pro 5.0 said it, which is good because I will replace the seal and bearings once the darn axle pops.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Umm no. Not always. I have had many of them put up a fight and needed to use my slide hammer to remove them. Matter of fact my 2016 GT350 would not come apart also and I had to use my largest slide hammer to separate the axle from the differential. My car only had 200 miles on it when I removed all the suspension for my mods. They can be stubborn at times.
The only time I have seen halfshafts cause a problem is when the snap ring gets boogered.
The driver side shaft does have a bigger gap than the passenger (which I haven't tried much yet). When I get back under there with slide hammer and it does budge, then I will try tapping it back in and have a go at it again. I am hoping the slide hammer will do it though. Thanks everyone!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So, what exactly happens to the snap ring on the end of the half shaft at the pumpkin once a half shaft is removed??

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So, what exactly happens to the snap ring on the end of the half shaft at the pumpkin once a half shaft is removed??
Nothing happens to it you could re use the entire assembly if you wanted to. The retaining ring just gets compressed when outward pressure is put on the axle shaft this is how the splines are able to be pulled out.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
As explained if everything goes correctly it compresses into its groove and comes out on the halfshaft.

What I have seen in the past is not enough finess gets used and the snap ring gets hung up between the splines and the halfshaft. Then peopl hammer and pry on it deforming the snap ring so it no longer compresses properly, annd then it is a pain to remove.

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
sub'd for the results.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It will be another week before I can get the car lifted again. Rainy weather here is killing it here. I ended up getting a sliding hammer tool and it looks really promising. I placed it on the halfshafts to be installed and it looks like I can get a good whack on the stocks ones without issues. Will update next weekend.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The slide hammer will work, but you need the half shaft tool that would get mounted to the end of it (it's like a $20 tool bit).

Also, why aren't folks just using the proper Ford tool to remove rear axle half shafts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-ROTUND...:g:WyYAAOSwI2xX8oQS&item=112156554777&vxp=mtr
Yup, got the end tool and test fitted already. I am ready to try it out this weekend hopefully. Weather here have been pretty wet and still waiting for the sun to come out.

I tried a similar fork tool and whacked a 8lb sledge hammer at it, but with no luck. Tried both halfshafts and ended up bending the fork to about 30 degrees from its original vertical position :rant::lol:.
Sponsored